RAM & Logic Replaced, MBP Still Broken: Will Apple Give Me a New MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ribalddc, Nov 2, 2010.

1. ribalddc macrumors newbie

:confused: Hello everyone! Hope I can get some great advice re: Apple Care and my MBP. Here are the basics.

Bought 2010 MBP brand new in June from Apple's site and also have Apple Care extended warranty. Since the beginning it's been plagued with kernel panics, gray screen of death, and lots of buggy behavior and app crashes. Have made two Genius Bar visits.

First they said it was a RAM problem and replaced that. MBP still didn't work right. Next they said it was a logic board problem and replaced that. MBP still doesn't work right! I've called customer support, they said to do OSX re-install and gave me a case ID #. Did that, MBP still has all the problems listed above.

I have my third Genius Bar appointment this week. At this point I think most people would conclude I've got a lemon MBP. So, my question is, what are some tips or recommendations on what I need to say/do to get Apple to replace with a new MBP? I'm tired of going back for repairs to this already frankenstein machine and believe that if they could have fixed it by now, it would be working fine. Any thoughts? Thanks!

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

rule of thumb is that after three visits you can ask, and should get a new one. If for the same general issue that is

3. Betelgeuse macrumors member

I'm sure others will have more concrete advice, but I would just start by politely but firmly stating your case to the "Genius" when you meet with them. Explain that there have been several major steps taken (esp. the logic board replacement) to repair your computer and none of them have had an effect. Explain your frustration with not having a working computer and how it seems as if you got a lemon. If the "Genius" says there's nothing they can do other than send it in for repairs, ask to speak to someone who might be able to escalate it for you.

Remember: one of the things you pay extra for when you buy an Apple product is excellent customer support. You should expect that they are able to address your problem and replace your computer if they can't.

4. aristobrat macrumors G4

Apple has no officially posted policy on the matter, but from having read posts like yours over the years, it seems that after three major hardware repairs, they're fairly open to the idea of exchanging hardware.

There is no magic words to say to guarantee they'll do it. It will all depend on the particular person you're talking with.

5. ribalddc thread starter macrumors newbie

So far this is great advice! I'm wondering though, despite seeing from time to time the "3 repairs" rule of thumb in these cases... a logic board replacement is a MAJOR, major repair -- you're essentially getting a new computer when this happens. If that can't fix what's happening under the hood, what's possibly left to correct?

6. aethelbert macrumors 601

And typically they won't be open to replacing the computer unless your three repairs are major. Hard drive, motherboard, optical bay, etc. Replacing a bluetooth module thrice probably won't qualify one for a replacement.

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

hmmm i would tend to think motherboard (logicboard) is very major, considering it includes gpu and cpu...

8. mario.jr macrumors member

mario.jr

Agreed.

My mid 2009 MBP had a magsafe board ( First time) and a logic board + trackpad ( Second time) replaced.. and Im still have issues.
    I think you , like me qualify to a new MBP.

9. aethelbert macrumors 601

That's what I defined. The quoted post seemed to indicate that the OP was considering the possibility of getting a replacement after a single motherboard repair.

10. aimbdd macrumors 6502a