ram question

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
Hello everyone, i have the standard 256 mb in my 17" iMac, and i wanna throw in another 256. 18004memory.com has it for $26 and seems to be dropping by the day, while crucial is charging $90. i've only heard good things about crucial, nothing about 1-800-4memory. my question is is there a quality difference between the two, because 26 dollars seems a lot more appealing. ill probly wait till it drops a few more dollars, but has anyone had any problems with 18004memory?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Re: ram question

Originally posted by beez7777
Hello everyone, i have the standard 256 mb in my 17" iMac, and i wanna throw in another 256. 18004memory.com has it for $26 and seems to be dropping by the day, while crucial is charging $90. i've only heard good things about crucial, nothing about 1-800-4memory. my question is is there a quality difference between the two, because 26 dollars seems a lot more appealing. ill probly wait till it drops a few more dollars, but has anyone had any problems with 18004memory?

I've been using 18004Memory for years. I've never had a problem with there ram or them and they have always had some of the lowest prices. In my oppinion all that matters is that it has a lifetime guarantee and that they say it will work in a Mac. All the memory I know of for macs at 18004Memory has both as far as I know.

Comment

solvs

macrumors 603
Jun 25, 2002
LaLaLand, CA
Just make sure it is for your computer. The Flat Panel iMac uses a SO-DIMM (like notebooks) for the user accessable RAM slot, and not all cheap RAM will work, even if it is a SO-DIMM. Remember the firmware update that disabled bad RAM. I've had cheap RAM nightmares myself, so I know how much of a headache it could be.

Personnally I'd go with Old World Computing. $28.

http://eshop.macsales.com

Comment

buffsldr

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2001
i have bought mac ram from 1800, mohawkmem.com, and crucial

i was happy with all of their service and product.

my favorite is mohawkmem.com, i strongly recommend checking them out. beware of a price that is "too" cheap, i just get suspicious.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.