Rand is not Ron

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 63dot, Aug 12, 2014.

1. 63dot, Aug 12, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2014

63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Ron Paul, agree with him or not, is consistent in his usually right wing beliefs on small government and left leaning/socially liberal beliefs on gay rights and legalizing drugs. He may falter from time to time but compared to most politicians, he seems rather consistent and not flip flop.

When Reagan or Clinton got caught on flip flopping they got crucified but to think of this?:

http://www.cnn.com/2014/08/12/opinion/cardona-rand-paul/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

Where one can defend a Reagan or Clinton for having to work with a Congress that was controlled by the opposing party and thus making a flip flop, I don't know what Rand Paul is all about. Some early supporters who were libertarian dropped off when it seemed like Rand was the establishment republican he swore he wasn't.

Rand to me just tried to capitalize on his dad's grass roots supporters and now that he's there in DC and established, he's just another GOP talking head in the party that is more guilty of the flip flop.

I think both desperate libertarians who can tolerate the GOP and desperate GOP stalwarts will support Rand as long as it seems like he stands a chance in 2016 against someone like Hilary. Rand is not the deeply experienced, high percentage candidate like a Bush, McCain, or Romney but will say or do anything to please the right wing and also please the moderates.

Rand has to decide pretty soon if he wants to be a fringe candidate with fringe issues or embrace the system he used to attack. He can't change the GOP overnight and he shouldn't pretend to lest he fall into more flip flops. He has to play the moderate road to gain the independents and stick to his guns. I understand he doesn't want to make early enemies right now but he has to stand for something lest he look like that formerly liberal, pro-choice republican governor of a liberal state turned spokesperson for religious conservatives, pro-life, and big corporations.

2. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Consistently an idiot in my opinion. Both are them are just plain idiots that can only ruin the country.

I do admit that Rand is a bigger idiot and more of a threat than Ron.

3. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

Maybe so, but dad has principles and a plan and was never the ultimate yes man. Rand is along for the ride and doesn't have the long term survivability of his dad.

The flip flopping has pretty much shed off his dad's very loyal supporters. If Rand is not truly libertarian in any way, he should say so. If he wants to be a big government, big war machine, big Wall Street republican then he needs to let this be known. As much as I don't like the establishment republicans and their totally hypocritical stand of less taxes while taxing and spending us to death, the establishment GOP does have more power and a far better chance at winning a major election.

Conservatives on the outside of the GOP machine could get some traction, but will be crushed like a Ross Perot. Ross didn't get much in terms of electoral votes but his third party run was far more successful than anything from Greens or Libertarians. The closest thing to passionate conservatives not happy with the GOP were the Ron Paul supporters. Rand is making it clear by his actions he won't get anywhere with true believers, even if they believe in the wrong things. Rand is the best example of a lying politician and I sometimes wonder what his dad thinks about all of this.

Even when things seem similar on the resume, like Bush senior and W, they can be very, very different in practice (Yale, pilot, governor, president).

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree. Rand also flip flops too much. Ron is more consistent with his beliefs.

5. 63dot, Aug 12, 2014
  6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I don't think he wants any of those things, but he wants to be President more, so he'll do what it takes.

On that topic, Rand will be the GOP candidate, he's got the Kochs funding him when the campaign starts. That's why he's being extremely cautious with the media.

7. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

If it's Rand Paul, I'll root for Hilary while punching my own genitals.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Well get ready, my source is a staffer for a very high level GOPer who gets to sit in on the leadership meetings. That's all I can say.

9. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

My genitals are scared now :eek:

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Randy is just Mooselini, but with the ability to make actual sentences.

11. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

If that's the case, the Democrats will have to be stupid to lose.

12. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Not if the American population is stupid to vote for Rand.

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'm not sure they want to win at this point. Simply putting the minimum wage on the ballot across the country, especially in "battleground" states, would guarantee a victory...but they would rather have something to run on in 2016 :rolleyes:

14. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

Except he's an easy target for attack ads. It's like how some people didn't vote for Romney because he "doesn't like poor people" and McCain because he's "just like Bush". It seems that these last coupled elections, the GOP has fielded candidates that are just so easy to pick apart even without having to think about theirs policy positions.

----------

And in 2016, when they run on it, they'll do really well against Rand Paul.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Which is ********. They could have all three branches if they ran on it this year. They refuse to do so because of 2016 and the fact that they are bought and paid for by big corporations.

16. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

I don't disagree on anything you've said in your post.

17. Meister Suspended

Meister

Rand learned from his fathers mistakes.

Noone votes for a straight and honest guy as president.

18. iMacFarlane macrumors 65816

iMacFarlane

Rand is not Ron

Yes, but would you rob Peter to pay either one of them?

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

20. P-Worm macrumors 68020

P-Worm

They didn't vote for him not because he was honest, it was because he was crazy.

P-Worm

21. Dmunjal macrumors 65816

That would be an interesting race. Hillary is right of Rand on several issues that matter to young people. Drug legalization, NSA snooping, aggressive foreign policy, and Wall Street. Rand could win.

22. aerok macrumors 65816

aerok

Hoping people see him as the idiot that he is.

23. 63dot, Aug 12, 2014

63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

If the big funding means that Rand will become the establishment/big money republican, it will be interesting to see him shed off his grass roots libertarian stances of his early years.

While I don't like this guy either, I think Chris Christie has less of a distance to travel in his political makeover to be the independent catch all centrist republican. The GOP had a good chance to take the White House in 1996 but veered off too far to the right and blew it when they could have run a moderate like Colin Powell or John McCain. Some idiot republicans thought that they lost in 1996 because Bob Dole was too liberal?!? If that was the case the GOP could have always won with a Pat Buchannan or Herman Cain type of ultra conservative nutjob.

I don't consider early Rand Paul right or left, but his early ultra libertarian views don't fit the mainstream so he will probably try to remake himself into the candidate who can please the right wing republicans and centrist independents.

That being said, if I had to choose Rand or Ron, I much prefer Ron because with him at least everybody knows where he stands. The Kochs fund everybody because they never want to let their influence wane.

24. Vanilla Ice, Aug 12, 2014

Vanilla Ice macrumors 6502

Vanilla Ice

Rand is not Ron

You are calling Americans that would vote for Rand "stupid", yet you would vote for Hillary?

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

mainstream