Rand Paul Not A Board Certified Doctor?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by XnavxeMiyyep, Jun 16, 2010.

1. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20106140307

Why get re-certified when you can just make your own certification board, right? New medical trends? Who needs those? :rolleyes:

2. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I'd have to say that if your political philosophy is so extreme that you end up being opposed to certifying continuing education and doctors keeping up with current medical practice, your political philosophy lies somewhere between the asinine and the criminal.

3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

^^ Unfortunately, it happens a lot in healthcare... For instance, the state in which I currently practice psychology has no requirements for psychologists to obtain continuing education to remain licensed. I think that's crazy, but if anyone tries to change it, a lobby of "old school" psychologists (who practice the kinds of therapies, like psychoanalytic therapy and Rogerian therapy, which have the least evidentiary basis, and who are pretty much never trained in psychotherapies like cognitive behavioral therapy that actually have a good basis for making claims of efficacy) staunchly opposes it. Psychology, for that matter, has its own "umbrella" board organization, but there are practicing psychologists in my area of expertise who belong to another board in that specialty, which has not been brought under the umbrella because its processes are not credible, and they keep coming up with lame justifications for not having the more widely recognized certification.

What I don't understand about all of this:

First, Paul's board certification isn't even at issue in terms of his ability to practice medicine, to practice ophthalmology, or to call himself an ophthalmologist, unless he is staff in a hospital system that has a requirement of board certification (in his case, it looks like he meets the letter of his hospital system's requirements, and in any event, there really aren't allegations as to whether he is a good eye doctor anyways). Most lay-people don't even understand what specialty certification is in medicine and don't care anyways. The only people who do care (physicians) are likely to see him as less credible if they know who certified him (i.e., himself, in essence), and now that this is out, even if the specifics have nothing to do with the election, it will "go against his credibility."

Second, what is it with supporters of the elder and the younger Paul who are always insisting on making a big deal of calling them Dr. Paul, as if their medical degrees somehow make them more capable of running the country or engaging in economic speechifying? If the two of them had actually studied economics, now that doctorate might be of relevance....

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Neither of them should be in elected office anyway. Their political philosophies are utterly ridiculous.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Despite his political ideology, I think Ron Paul has a few things right because he doesn't speak through a political filter (get out of Iraq and Afghanistan, end the imperialistic mindset). It's his other policies (end the fed, end dep of education etc. etc.) that make him a poor choice. Rand Paul, however I think is just insane and has no redeeming qualities.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, like gutting the civil rights act.

7. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

They'd probably say the same of yours, and they actually hold office/win primaries so I would say they would have a little more credibility.

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Now whenever ZA expresses an opinion, by his own standards we can point to an elected liberal with an opinion counter to his and claim their's is more credible merely for the sake of them having won an election.

Do you really want to judge and be judged by that standard ZA?

9. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I've heard Rand Paul speak, and I certainly think he's certifiable.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Come on, we all know his posting style, only his worldview is correct. The fact that it is self contradicting doesn't matter.

As for Paul, whacko through and through. Hopefully he will lose. I personally think that someone who "isn't racist" but doesn't want businesses to adhere to anti discrimination laws, well come on, well isn't that just as bad as being racist?

11. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

If I express the opinion that their political philosophies are ridiculous and they shouldn't be in office when they obviously were able to obtain popular vote, go ahead and let me know there are those who would also think my political philosophies are ridiculous and they were able to gain the popular vote so they have backers.

As for NT1440's comment, Rand never said he wanted businesses to discriminate, stop distorting the message. He wanted freedom.

12. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Hold on... I need to translate that from ZA to English for that to make any sense. :confused:

One note... when you say "popular" vote, you do realize that was a primary election. Rand actually came in third in ballots cast...

Jack CONWAY (DEM) - 229,433
    Daniel MONGIARDO (DEM) - 225,259
    Rand PAUL (REP) - 206,986

So if we're looking to base credibility on the number of votes cast, Rand Paul was topped by two democrats in the great state of Kentucky.

Woo-Hoo! Liberal political philosophy is over twice as credible as conservative... according to ZA.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Might want to check the office his daddy holds.

14. chilipie macrumors 6502a

chilipie

Obama holds the highest elected office in the United States. Does that make his political ideology exempt from objective criticism?