Rand Paul sounding an awful lot like a Liberal these days.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DearthnVader, Dec 10, 2018.

1. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

Legalize Hemp. Check.
    End War in Yemen. Check.
    Reforms for our criminal justice system. Check.
    Check, check, and check.

We can find common ground when people act in good faith, rather that being stooges for this corporation or that.

2. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

What's wrong with any of those and what exactly makes those views liberal, conservative or anything else? Hemp should have never been criminalized in the first place. We should step back from spending more money on Yemen. And the criminal justice system is and has been flawed and should not be a left vs right issue but a common sense one.

3. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

Rather, sounding more like a Libertarian these days.

4. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

He's not Liberal. He's Libertarian.

Both words share the same root word as Liberty (Latin Libertas).

5. DearthnVader thread starter macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I wasn't criticizing Senator Paul, or Liberals.

Rather, I was just pointing out some issues were liberals and libertarian (R) can agree.

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Lol Mr. Cave on my principles Paul ladies and gentlemen.

He’s a hack. Everyone can talk, Paul has a habit of voting exactly the way his party wants on big issues after making a show of pretending to resist. He learned a lot from McCain.

7. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

On the contrary he is definitely not a libertarian and he is clearly a liberal.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

9. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Which principles did he cave on, if I may ask?
    Regardless, he should at least be applauded for being one of the few politicians willing to speak out against the war in Yemen.

10. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

He's a junior US Senator. I think he's only notable here in the US because he's the son of Ron Paul, a more well-known Senator and Libertarian candidate.

I think Rand Paul is more Tea Party Republican than Libertarian.

11. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I love this gem from yesterday: “If we’re going to prosecute people and put them in jail for campaign finance violations, we’re going to become a banana republic."

Priceless.

12. FrankieTDouglas macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

13. NT1440, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018

NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Uh....Brett Kavanaugh? After explicitly speaking out on Kavanaugh’s total acceptance of government surveillance and drone campaigns.

Paul has a mythology built around him. He talks the talk, and when he’s done talking he just votes with his party (unless there is enough margin that his leadership gives him the ok to keep up appearances). His father was an *******, but one that truly bucked his party on principles he refused to compromise on. Rand is just a walking compromise. He’ll never be the one vote that blocks something the party really wants, it’s never been his nature.

And I do give him credit for Yemen, but I’m tired of politicians being tied to one good vote when there are thousands of others that go unnoticed because they contradict the narrative.

14. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

he sadly endorsed Romney at the election.
    Rand is as close to a libertarian as we are going to get now that his father is retired :(

and I can't find anything I disagree with. legalize it, end the F war.

15. zin macrumors 6502

Rand voted down the defence bill (also for 2018 and 2017 budgets), voted down Haspel, voted down FISA reauthorisation, voted down Iranian sanctions.

16. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Ron Paul was not a US Senator. He was a Rep in the House, and he ran for president on the Quixotic Party ticket, but never ran for Senate.

17. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

I wasn't happy with any of that. Mediocre candidate at best, then the Marxist smear job, worst political theater.

So Ron Paul, the only true Statesman in the House in forever, obstetrician, family man of over 60 years, never voted for a tax increase, many times being the no vote against foreign intervention. That guy is an *******? There's no hope for you.

Yeah, war pales in comparison to SJW credentials.

18. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

Fun fact. Decades ago Ron Paul, befor was stranded once and my dad gave him a lift.
    DOH! Thanks for the correction.

19. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

O
    Not really an excretory orifice, as such, just a doofus. He was an Austrian School ideologue to the extreme, in an environment where taking the hard line meant people would not take him seriously. There may have been fragmentary elements of merit to what he was saying, but those could not emerge from the heap of BS he buried them in. And when he says things like

The notion of a rigid separation between church and state has no basis in either the text of the Constitution or the writings of our Founding Fathers.

The ultimate goal of the anti-religious elites is to transform America into a completely secular nation, a nation that is legally and culturally biased against Christianity.

and

Abortion leads to euthanasia. I believe that.

it becomes even harder to take him seriously.

20. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

JV Senator. hehe

21. sdwaltz macrumors 6502a

I'm a Republican and I'm literally on board with all of this.

It's not about liberal/conservative/democrat/republican, it's about common sense.

All of this is common sense.

22. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

I suggest you study more Austrian economics in order not to come off as a doofus, just saying. Did you predict the housing crash in 08?
    You don't like the pro life stance? So what, neither did I, but I never for a moment thought he wasn't sincere and have consistent moral reasons for believing that.
    Sad how you so casually dismiss such a giant of a man such as Ron Paul. I'd like to think you're just young and think you know everything.

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I did not, but a lot of the signs were there. The fact that one Austrian School economist did predict it neither validates von Mises' rantings nor alters the fact that no one anywhere did anything to mitigate it. And, quite frankly, the fact that one of the major root causes pertained to deregulation of the banking industry does not help the glibertarian cause.

I greatly dislike his appeal for a theocracy. That is unjustifiable and detestable.

A "giant of a man" would have had a real impact on our lives. Fortunately, he did not. And, yes, I am only 12 years old – I have been 12 for several decades, since at least Watergate.

24. FrenchRoasted macrumors regular

Not taking you seriously at all. I just hope others reading this who might have some curiosity of the world would look further into Austrian economics. The 20th century was completely dominated by economic philosophies of the State, ie Marxism and it's fascists corollary, the West's Marxist lite version from Keynes. What did that give us? A century of war and oppression.

BS. Your quote was evidence of no such thing. You think all politicians need to be atheists?

I thought as much.
    I like the "since at least Watergate". Very subtle, implying you've been around that long and are wise since you were woke with regards to Nixon. Very impressive.:rolleyes:

25. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Many of us have looked at Austrian School ideas. There are obvious pitfalls. The “Chicago Boys” pushed neoliberalism into practice in Chile. The result was not measurably better or worse than the USSR. You might claim that it was because they did not implement it fully, but that is unsupportable. Chile has mostly moved away from neoliberalism, as much as they can at least, and has gotten somewhat more stable.