Random question for those who have had LG screen swapped to Samsung

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Trubbles, Mar 18, 2013.

1. Trubbles macrumors regular

My LG screen is getting worse at retaining images. It failed the "checkers" test a while ago, but now it is so bad that if I leave a webpage up for too long I can see it on a grey background.

I'm just wondering - if Apple replaces the screen, do they do the entire top lid? I understand it is built as one piece. I don't really want them peeling the layers apart and sticking it back together less than perfect.

I'm torn as to whether to bother with the repair. Being without my computer for a few days is almost as bad as the screen retention, and I have three years of AppleCare to worry about it.

On the other hand, if they do replace the lid then the small scratch I have on mine would go away, too :)

2. B..., Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

B... macrumors 68000

B...

They replace the whole top lid because the layers are fused together; usually with a Samsung. If you get lucky, it could be fixed right there or within 24 hours. At worst, it could take 3-4 days (Friday to Tuesday). Since today is Monday,it could be until Friday but optimistically Wednesday.

3. TofSanity, Mar 18, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2013

TofSanity macrumors 6502a

TofSanity

I saw you posted in another thread and I told you my issue. Here is the update to that post:

Update: I had some time this morning to take my 15" rMBP in to my local Apple store. I explained my IR issue. They performed their Image Persistence text. The text last 4 minutes. They pretty much start the test and then put the screen in a position so the checker board isn't seen. They performed it a few times and past it each time. So, no replacement at this time. They just recommended using a screen saver to "wash the pixels" before the laptop goes to sleep. Like I stated earlier it's not as bad as some of the others posting here.

I know this doesn't answer your question. I just wanted to give my experience.
    Good Luck!

4. Shaunyac macrumors regular

Shaunyac

They replace the whole top sreen, I had a little gouge on the side of mine from when I hit it against the lamp, and I was happy that's gone :)

Also, I dropped mine off Saturday afternoon and picked it up Monday, so pretty quick!

5. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

Wow.. I really hope they don't try to do that to me.

It's so bad now that when I switch from my "productivity" monitor (Excel sheet and word doc showing) and I switch to a blank grey desktop, I can still READ THE SPREADSHEET AND MAKE OUT EVERY INDIVIDUAL LINE!!! It's awful! Using a screensaver to "wash" pixels is a terrible excuse. This is a premium product...

If my BMW was making a loud noise after 10 mins of driving on the highway, this would be like the dealer telling me "there's nothing wrong - just pull over and let it cool down every 10 minutes and you'll be fine!"

6. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

No, it is nothing like that at all.

7. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

Care to elaborate?

Premium product - check

Problem that is annoying, but doesn't prevent product from working - check

Can you propose a better analogy for what I was trying to say?

Or do you just jump into threads and say NAYYYYY every time?

8. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

Comments inline.

9. Trubbles thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the clarification.

Here I thought screen burn in could be fatal... Next time I'll choose a different premium good. I feel much better now.

10. StefanYFC macrumors member

I just had my LG display replaced last week. Had image retention and 7 dead pixels (originally only 1, more sprouted). It took them 2 days to get the display in and 45 minutes to install it. The whole top lid was replaced.

I now have a Samsung display. Zero image retention, still nice and bright.

I have also noticed I have 2 two pixels. I'll wait for a few more to pop up before I bring it back in for another new display.