Random system freeze

Discussion in 'macOS High Sierra (10.13)' started by smokesletsgo, Oct 6, 2017.

1. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

Does anyone else experience random system freezing on High Sierra? At least once a day it happens - UI is unresponsive, only mouse pointer is moving, if music/video was played it continues to play even after freezing. The problem is on MacBook Air Mid 2011 13", it's not a hardware issue because I tested it on older macOS versions and didn't experience any freezing.

2. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

3. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

Before and after. Sent out a bug report but doubt they'll fix it, I guess this MBA is on it's way out regardless if the hardware is ok.

4. h9826790 macrumors G5

h9826790

What I experienced is Finder hang BEFORE supplemental update. However, it only happened when CPU stressed to 100%. Since it's very easy to get a MBA CPU to 100%, I am thinking if that's somehow related.

However, my Finder issue seems completely gone after the supplemental update. I didn't submit bug reports to Apple, not sure if that help. But anyway, I am now quite happy with HS.

5. SC-Sportsman macrumors newbie

I've experienced this ever since Beta 1 of High Sierra. It usually happens when I'm using Safari with more than one tab open. I reported it during the beta, but was told that I had submitted a duplicate bug and would not be notified of any updates. I've gotten around the problem lately by using Firefox Quantum instead of Safari. Not my preferred choice, but I haven't had any hard freezes since.

6. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

Never thought for it to be Safari related because it happens completely randomly - say, when watching a video on VLC or just browsing files, don't remember if Safari was open during those times... but it very well might, will try not to use Safari.

7. macagain macrumors 6502

macagain

yep, been getting it since the supp update. it's always on safari. it seems to happen when multiple tabs are open, and you're trying to load a site with lots of video, almost feels as if the video block thing has gone haywire. the conspiracy theory side of me is thinking that the sites with video being block are doing something to make it so horrible on safari to get people to not use safari...

8. Cool Pup macrumors 6502a

Cool Pup

I never use Safari and I tend to get it frequently. Once or so every day on both former and current public releases. I have 24GB RAM so there should be no issue at all on that front.

This is really absurd.

9. haginile macrumors member

Do you have external displays connected to the machine?

10. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

No external displays.

It seems that the freezing is gone after ditching Safari.

11. imasterus macrumors regular

imasterus

I have the same machine and the same issue with freezing, but on Sierra :) However, this random freeze issue has been haunting my MacBook since day one, and I guess that's due to faulty logic board, or issues with WindowServer. I used to encounter this issue when using multiple programs in full screen. As for the Safari: it does freeze when I play blitz at chess com for more than hour :)

12. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

Just froze again... It seems it's not Safari related, at least for me. Also Mail app sometimes doesn't receive email, lmao, it's getting ridiculous... this is the worst release ever for me. Even beta didn't have as many issues.

13. H2SO4 macrumors 601

I'm having multiple freezes too, (five today!!!!). The last login, I started activity monitor before anything else and then went about my business. I can see when the freeze occurs that iconservicesagent and kernel task are eating more RAM than I have installed.

14. AndrewWx macrumors regular

AndrewWx

i have it too. It seems to be much worse with 11.1 beta. Each mouse click takes 60 seconds for a response. Sending feedback to Apple is torturously slow. Log out and log in is a temporary fix.

15. ImBuz macrumors 6502

ImBuz

Yup me too---found it happens most in the Photos app

16. PicnicTutorials macrumors 6502a

PicnicTutorials

I’ve never really had the need to look at my activity monitor. But my finder keeps freezing and doing many odd behaviors so I looked at activity monitor a few days ago. I too came to the conclusion that maybe iconservicesagent was to blame since it was eating up cpu. A quick google says that it has been a thorn in many’s side for a long time. I also can’t figure out how to stop it. I’ve had to force quit finder about 50 times since high sierra update. Feels good to get off my chest lol
    --- Post Merged, Oct 8, 2017 ---
    Going to try Finder Alternatives like PathFinder tommorow in hopes that maybe it can bypass all the finder bugs...

17. imasterus macrumors regular

imasterus

This is an old new frozen reality. Better get used to it :)

18. macagain macrumors 6502

macagain

Everytime it freezes, it's happened when i'm in facebook in safari with multiple tabs. cmd-w, wait awhile for the tab to close, and it's back to normal.

19. H2SO4 macrumors 601

Wish I had the luxury of a force quit. My comes to a dead halt and hard.

20. AndrewWx macrumors regular

AndrewWx

I disconnected all of my ThunderBolt hard drives (A Drobo , A LaCie Duel Disk, and a bare drive in a toaster dock), but I kept the two mounted network shares, and everything has been fine since. I am wondering about time machine now. I think I will plug the LaCie back in and see what happens.

Time Machine files are on the bare drive in the toaster dock.

21. smokesletsgo thread starter macrumors regular

Seems like 10.13.1 latest beta has this issue fixed. No freezes for 3 days.