Rangel Faces a House Ethics Committee Hearing

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, Jul 22, 2010.

1. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

I was thinking about adding this to the American Dick series, but decided I would show a little more class than that.

That is quite the list of things he has done wrong. My guess is that the Ethics Committee gives him a slap on the wriswt if that. I would love to see the people of New York vote him out in November.

http://www.cnn.com/2010/POLITICS/07/22/house.rangel.ethics.hearing/index.html?hpt=T2

2. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

And then you decided you didn't actually have any class, and brought it up.

What else can the ethics committee do if what he did wasn't enough to bring criminal charges? That's the whole joke of letting Congress investigate themselves. When was the last time Congress actually forced someone out of their own ranks as opposed to outside pressures or the voters?

3. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. It is no wonder that many people can't stand politics or politicians.

4. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Democrats have big majorities right now and could rubber stamp this so that this guy gets a free pass, but they won't.

The better question is when was the last time Republicans investigated one of their own with any legitimacy? The democrats are going to eat this guy alive, and yet, it won't be enough to satisfy the wingnuts.

5. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I thought the better question is what is the price of tea in China?

6. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sure, that's a fair point. But the problem is that we won't always have a Pelosi-led HoR willing to investigate the doings of the 4th highest ranking member of the caucus. Then we are back to square one.

Congress investigating it's own is like expecting the Catholic church to investigate their own, or the cops or military investigating their own. There's an institutional bias towards self-protection.

7. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

A. In China, tea prices vary, depending on the type. Some green teas start at $1.25 per oz. Pu'er tea, costs 6 times more than gold.