Rant: Can't watch "Planet of the Apps" on older Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Alvi, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I hope I'm missing something because this is ******** otherwise.

So I wanted to give Apple's new series a try and I couldn't find any menu on my Apple TV (3rd gen) so I figured out I should stream it from iTunes via AirPlay, but guess what? This message shows up: "The selected film won’t play on one of your connected displays. This film can only be played on displays that support HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection)." I also tried streaming it from my phone and another error message appears.

This is ********, it means that I'm forced to watch their TV show on my MacBook, don't even get me started about the whole Apple Music exclusivity to the latest Apple TV, this thing is capable of streaming content from my iTunes library, from the internet too, it's totally capable to run Apple Music but they are just forcing us to upgrade. I barely use it, I won't ever pay 150-200$ for it!

2. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Unfortunately thats what happens when products evolve. Apple TV 3rd Gen was made in 2012, and Rev. 1 was in 2013. Due to the changes to iTunes, tvOS software and Apple Music etc... unfortunately the 3rd gen has been left behind. This does happen when software gets updated. The 3rd gen doesn't have a hard drive, and to install the apps, and run tvOS its not possible to provide them services as the box just doesn't have enough space, its as simple as that.

Unfortunately this happens in the modern world. Apple gets harsh criticism for it, but happens in everything. Andoid Wear devices that can't be upgraded to Android Wear 2, Android phones that can't get the latest OS updates, etc....

3. Unami macrumors 6502a

the 3rd gen has 8gb of storage space, which has been enough to install other channels before (which are, after all, only a gui for a streaming service, using mostly already installed components.) i'd bet, a "planet of the apps" channel would not use more than a few hundred kilobytes, mostly for the channel's images. apple tv-channels vary widely depending the region where the apple-tv is set up, so there's definitely some space reserved for that. it's not even about the ressources at apple, as this would only need a setup-time of a few minutes. they just don't care about the old one
    any more (even accepting a loss of app-sales by you not seeing their app-advertising show), and hope, you'll eventually buy the new one.

personally i won't - it's processor is already slightly outdated, no 4k/3d/hdr support, no optical out and I find the taller form factor ugly (and it probably won't fit between my tv's stand and the lower bezel any more).

4. QzzB macrumors regular

QzzB

Thats my point, there are no channels anymore. There is a App Store like on the iPhone. The old channels all had same look, so imagine its a XML type structure pointing to images and images. The new apps are more like iOS, Larger and all custom. Netflix looks like Netflix.com for example rather than the list of menu options on the older type.

Also there is no planet of the apps channel, it just comes under the Music app. The specs of a device made about 3/4 years ago just can't run tvOS an the App Store, so none of this content works.

5. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

From what I've read, you aren't missing much.

6. Madmic23 macrumors 6502a

Can't you watch it in the TV Shows app on the old Apple TV?

Go to the iTunes store (on your phone, iPad, computer, whatever) and search for Planet of the Apps. The first episode is free, so click the "Get" button and then it should show up as a TV show on your third gen Apple TV. I think.

I have a fourth gen Apple TV. I don't subscribe to Apple Music, but I saw the first episode in the iTunes TV store for free, so I got it.

But honestly, you're not missing much. It's basically Dragons Den or Shark Tank, but not as good. I had to stop watching a little over half way through. I kept hoping it was going to get better, but it didn't.

7. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I think Apple is doing you a favor here... the first episode of that show was truly awful.

8. Alrescha macrumors 68020

You are missing something or leaving something out, because I just got that from my ATV3 and it played fine.

HDCP problems exist of course, but I do not think that has anything to do with this particular show.

A.

ps: I agree with @NorCalLights in that this is not something I actually want to watch. Perhaps this thread is a ruse to boost download stats?

9. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

At least you can watch Planet of the Apes instead.

10. Alvi thread starter macrumors 65816

Alvi

Thanks, I completely agree!
    Your explanation also makes a lot of sense, however I don't think that a lighter version of Apple Music would hurt on it. Maybe one day I'll get one, I guess I'll wait for gen 5 considering gen 4 has been out for a while.

Really? I've been around this forum for years, I'm genuinely pissed at apple

11. Alrescha macrumors 68020

I do not know why, as it works as expected for me on my "old" Apple TV.

A.

12. 2010mini macrumors 68040

the 8gb on the 3rd gen was never used for storage of channels. It was used for buffering. The 3rd gen is very old and if I am not mistaken, obsoleted by Apple a while back.

13. Anonymous Freak macrumors 601

Anonymous Freak

It was used for channels - how else does it store them? It was updated regularly with new channels (which I would largely immediately hide, since a large number of them required that you had active cable/satellite service with that channel.) Apple could update it again to add a Planet of the Apps channel if they really wanted.

14. 2010mini macrumors 68040

the channels were just place holders pointing to servers. it is why apple was able to add them at will. the entire screen of the 3rd gen apple TV was basically one app.

15. zaxxon72 macrumors member

May I ask, how did you connect your ATV3 to your display?

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

Your forced to what their TV Show?

Either don't watch it or upgrade a 5 year old device.

Technology advances.

17. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

It may have been introduced 5 years ago, but Apple was selling it up until October 2016. Doesn't exactly make 5-years-old.

18. Alrescha, Jun 18, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2017

Alrescha macrumors 68020

In case you only skimmed the thread: as suggested by @Madmic23 and tested by me, the show plays just like any other TV show on the third-gen Apple TV.

A.

19. RadioGaGa1984 macrumors 65816

RadioGaGa1984

If you read that on these forums, Ive found that if most people on this forum dislike something chances are its probably pretty good. The opposite also applies.

20. MistrSynistr macrumors 6502a

It's technology is 5 years old.

Grab a refurbished ATV4.

21. willmtaylor macrumors 604

willmtaylor

"Buy something different" is almost always a lazy man'a excuse for not knowing how or not wanting to help fix someone's problem.

22. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

No need to buy anything. As others have said, it is available on the AppleTV3. I have also confirmed this on mine.

23. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

And I can't stream Netflix on my G4. Wahh

24. Boyd01 macrumors 68030

Boyd01

There are obvious cases where old hardware is not capable of doing something that you want. But that isn't the case here. The OP wrote:

"So I wanted to give Apple's new series a try and I couldn't find any menu on my Apple TV (3rd gen)"

The fact is, Planet of the Apps is available on the Apple TV3, he just couldn't find it. The solution does not require a hardware upgrade. ;)

25. zaxxon72 macrumors member

Yeah, especially when the OP is not answering questions about his setup.....
    o_O