Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sukanas

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 15, 2007
so i clean installed SL about a month ago and it was great. sorta.. it was fast boot up and no hiccups... NOW its always crashing and lagging, esp safari. I am going to reinstall AGAIN for the third time and just slowly transfer my files.. music first, etc... and make sure to not transfer other crap that my slow SL down.

i miss the tiger days...

edit:
oh and does anyone know when apple will actually make some decent drivers for the nvidia graphics?!!

dlep30

macrumors newbie
Feb 25, 2008
I am inclined to agree. I have had constant application crashes for the past few weeks. Safari crashes, iMovie crashes, Handbrake crashes, etc. Also getting constant crashes when I try to save anything as a pdf.

It has been frustrating to say the least.

stridemat

Staff member
Apr 2, 2008
UK
Well totally at the other end of the spectrum I have not had any problems with SL, I think Safari may have crashed once but that is it. Not sure why everyone seems to be suffering from problems!

macJC50640

macrumors regular
Jan 19, 2009
Everything crashes for me too (especially iMovie and Safari). I totally agree.

I have made a partition on my iMac for Leopard that I use routinely until Apple gets their act together with Snow Leopard.

I suppose some of this is to be expected with a new OS. But its just too frustrating...

Leopard, compared to Snow Leopard is like...
Leopard = fully marinated steak
Snow Leopard = half a week old moldy lunchmeat cow butt

KingYaba

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2005
Up the irons
It's just Finder and uploading images. Doesn't matter which browser I choose. Beachballs about 25% of the time I click on a picture or hit submit.

Mac N Tosh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
SouthShore
Handbrake...Crashes and crashes and crashes...Everytime SL had to go get a file from somewhere it would crash..Are you guys by chance using 1password...?? For some reason I would see 1password somewhere on every crash report..Dont know if its related or not...I did another full install of SL but removed 1password..So far no crashes, but still get the beach balls...:(

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
Sow Leopard - no crashes
Handbrake - flawless
iPassword (2.11.1) not a hiccup

I'm not gloating, it's just that the VAST MAJORITY of SL adopters are having no problem. Sorry I can't help you, but look elsewhere than Handbrake and iPassword for the issue.

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
ive had minimal problems, but beachballing is occuring a little more often than it did under leopard... im hoping 10.7 in a few years will be more like tiger as far as stability, but wait... wasnt that the point of snow leopard?

Mac N Tosh

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
SouthShore
Sow Leopard - no crashes
Handbrake - flawless
iPassword (2.11.1) not a hiccup

I'm not gloating, it's just that the VAST MAJORITY of SL adopters are having no problem. Sorry I can't help you, but look elsewhere than Handbrake and iPassword for the issue.

Re-read what I had wrote....Handbrake does not work for me, unless it crashes about 10 times before it works...On EVERY crash report halfway down the page there is mention of 1password...I said I did not know if it was related or NOT, only that it is there, strangely enough...:confused:

twiztidsid13

macrumors newbie
snow leopard problems

I had my macbook for about 3 days b4 I bought the snow, I didnt really get a chance to see how well leopard worked on its own, but i read and heard from other mac users that snow worked well and was a lighter OS on the system, so i spent the 30bux.

I HAVE had a few problems with it, but I dont know if its more my lack of knowing what im doing (not that im new to mac) or if its the new OS. Sure we should expect SOME issues for a few months or so, it IS new and the bugs will have to be worked out with trial and error. Always report the crash to apple when it asks and they will know more about what is happening.

It seems some stuff just isnt ready for leopard at all and some just not yet and snow isnt helping those problems. It does work better then windows thats for sure, but alot of programs seem to HATE leopard.

I'm sure things will get better with time, they always do. I mean, if you dont like it just use windows for a few days and you will be sooo greatful for your mac again!

I do miss panther, that just worked soooo well on my powerbook!

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Snow Leopard’s bugs specifically the “beachballing” problem must be getting some traction as CNET took time out to mention it on their latest prizefight episode.

I’ve had problems with Safari crashing for no reason. And Mail, just like Leopard, is fussy with regards to my MobileMe account (half the time it refuses to pull new mail from the server). The Finder is buggy and I’ve had to force quit it a few times.

It’s my most problematic Mac OS since 10.1 Puma to put it nicely. I’m running it on a Core 2 Duo MacBook (Early 2007).

larkost

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2007
jaw04005: You really don't know what the "beachball" means, do you? It means that whatever program currently has the cursor (or focus) has not given the OS any direct sign of life recently (last few seconds). This is a very broad category of problems, and can't be just "fixed". It could be that the program is (temporarily or permanently) deadlocked on some shared resource, it could be that it is waiting for memory to page in, it could be that the program is busy doing a long task and was badly setup, or it could be that the programmer did not expect that task to ever take that long (common when network connections get bad).

But in general it sounds like people have something wrong with their system, and don't have the skills to figure out what it is. I don't say this to be judgmental, but more stating the case. The vast majority of users do not experience these problems, so there is something different about your case. Don't take a sample of one, or even a few people on this board (who are probably posting about things whose causes are not even close to similar) as a big enough sample to even indicate a real problem.

twiztidsid13

macrumors newbie
snow leopard problems

The real problems i have is that some programs just arent right for it yet. but i have noticed that it does seem slower then it should be. im sure things will get better, but a mem increase wouldnt hurt! I dont really have the "beach ball" issue so much, but it does take a sec to load some times. lets just hope they get things right soon enough or they will get alot more complaints.

Richard1028

macrumors 68000
Jan 8, 2009
I've been on SL since Sept 1 and not a single crash of anything. Granted, I don't have any of those 3rd party geek tools installed like most of you nerds but then again, that's probably why my system works.

I do think the new Expose sucks but that's another post.

Skyhigh223

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2009
Heyyy! Some people are having the same problems as me!

I get crashes when I try to import anything into any app (with the exception of iWork and iLife) iTunes crashes when I try to import songs using file > import. I would reccomend dragging and dropping.

Handbrake crashes about three times when trying to start converting the DVD I want.

Safari is perfectly stable.

Pages always crashes when I try to export PDFs - at least it exports them properly before it crashes haha.

Everything just seems to be failing on SL.

Startup and Shutdown are very zippy, but I haven't really noticed any diff in speed with the finder.

I had leopard ever since the week it came out, and up until I had installed snow leopard a few months ago, I had experienced about one, maybe two crashes in total.

Come on Apple! Mac OS X is famous for it's stability! My iMac is now probably less stable than the Dell Dimension 3000 I have upstairs! Graaah!

twiztidsid13

macrumors newbie
snow leopard problems

I keep hearing this about handbrake, but i have used it a few times and had no issues at all. i use firefox so i cant speak for safari, but firefox does crash some times, but that happen on windows too LOL (windows) utorrent seemed to not get along with my system though. it was my best torrent downloader on my windows system but it makes my yahoo crash if i try to run both at the same time. other then it just being too new for some stuff and some programs just not having an update for snow, i haven't really had alot of problems. i think it could be a bit faster and some things could work better. most of the stuff people say they have issues with i just don't use so i haven't had those issues. I'm sure 10.5.2 might have a few fixes in it and not just drivers for new toys, but who knows. Apple isn't the company it once was and I really don't know if I like the direction its going. They use to care what we thought and use to try to match our usage, but now its like they just make something and expect us to just take it and like it. for one of the leaders in innovation they seem to be forgetting the most important part of their company... US the people who buy their products. I keep hearing these Mac vs. PC wars and honestly we AREN'T really winning. Windows 7 really is a BIG step up from vista and XP, but snow is just a small step in the same direction we were already going. If you are going to come out with a new OS as far to call it something else I would think it would BE a bit more of something else then just an UPDATE! I love macs cuz they do work nicer then windows, but they are going to have to step it up a bit to REALLY be BETTER then windows!

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wow, my experience has been totally different. The only thing that has crashed (and crashes with every version of OSX) is safari. Even then its infrequent. While I probably don't push my system has hard has others, I found SL to be quite stable.

Compared to Linux it is quite a bloated and slow OS but it seems apple has made some great inroads to slim the OS down a bit with SL. I think Tiger was the pinnacle of OSX and while Leopard offered some new bells and whistles it, Tiger was better. The only thing I couldn't live w/o is Time Machine.

I'm content with SL, not loving it, not hating it. It works and I suppose that's the job of an OS - just to work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.