RANT: Parents do your Job!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by quagmire, May 16, 2010.

1. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I am so sick of parents wanting less responsibility in raising their kids. They don't want to do anything in terms of discipline or doing something themselves if they don't want their kids exposed to anything they don't want them to be exposed to.

First, stop complaining about games like Grand Theft Auto and Call of Duty. If you don't want your kids to play those games, DON'T FREAKING BUY THE DAMN THING! Stop complaining about the Mission, " No Russian" in COD:Modern Warfare 2. The game is rated M and it warns you about the mission. And I still hear complaints from parents. But, do they stop from buying their kids the game? Nope, as I played with a 12 year old kid online on Xbox Live and he played that mission. He isn't the first 12 year old kid that has played the game. I think the youngest I experienced was 8 or 9 years old. Seriously, parents have no freaking right to complain if they are buying games like these for their kids. But, of course they complain about something as completely natural as breasts being accidentally being shown on TV.

Which brings me to my next point, talk to your kids about sex. Don't leave it to the schools. And don't be outraged when the school teaches your sons how to use a condom. It is better to teach safe sex, then to only teach abstinence. Face it, teens are going to have sex. Even if you or the school talks to them about it or not. It is better to educate them, then have them learn by mistake. They will more likely listen to the parents then the school. Especially if parents are open about the subject. Don't try to hide something that is natural. Be open and respectful, and tell your kids yourselves about it.

My next point is TV. Just like with video games, parents control what their kids watch, not the stations. People are complaining about Deadliest Catch with the crew members swearing, etc which they don't like because they have their kids watching it. Sorry, but Discovery Channel isn't going to tell the people how to speak. They are not on a script and the show has a TV-14 rating. Plus, people die on that show. Why do you want to expose your 6-10 year old to death already? If you don't want your kids watching NCIS, MTV, whatever, then you do something about it. Don't complain to the networks. The shows aren't meant for kids. SO DON'T HAVE YOUR KIDS WATCHING THEM!

/end rant

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

What I don't get about video games is, after all the Tipper Gore hoopla, the games now all come with very clear warnings about what is and isn't in the game, and parents still act shocked. Like, I mean, after you see a picture of Lil' Wayne, what about him makes you think that his music will instill good values in the young people? :p

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Shows you how much influence the PMRC really had. They thought they won, and they got pwned by Dee Snyder, in Congress, let alone national TV. And they thought they won.

BL.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

When people who are treated as moral authorities like the pope are against condoms and given the US is a religious country I don't think its totally reasonable to expect parents to be honest about sex and not to get upset about condoms being taught about.

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

parents need to teach their babies to not cry on airplanes and I will be happy lol

6. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I think it is fair to say that there is very few people who are so religious that they share the Catholic Churches beliefs about condoms. And if they are that religious then surely they should be teaching their kids to not have sex outside of marriage. Either way your kids need to be educated about sex.

The Catholic Churches beliefs are so out of touch to modern day life... Anyway thats for another thread!

7. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Is there an equivalent to Godwin's law for pulling in the Pope? Just curious. If not, I'd like to declare it Kavika's law.

8. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Why all that stuff about abstinence only sex education under Bush then?

9. Mexbearpig macrumors 65816

Mexbearpig

The part about video games really ticks me off. And it only makes it worse when people blame the kids that bring guns in to school got the idea from video game violence.

10. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Yeah, agreed there. That sounds really poor parenting.

11. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

You'll have to explain more – i'm not American.

I think what i am trying to get at is that parents have a responsibility to educate their children. If they choose to educate them under strict Catholic guidance then they ought to go the whole was and say no sex outside of a marriage. You can't say no condoms but sure have sex with your girlfriend/boyfriend/whoever you end up in bed with. That's just irresponsible.

But as it is Catholic guidance that they are teaching i think the Catholic Church should be more realistic with what it condemns. I understand thats a potentially controversial statement to make and i am not trying to offend people but in my opinion condemning condoms is absurd.

12. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't think children should be sheltered from the world by their parents like you are suggesting. Let them do their stuff, let them play their video games and watch their TV, as long as they can afford to pay for their DVD's and Games and can get away with buying them underage.

I personally think its this nanny state we are living in that is causing problems with the youth.

13. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

Because we elect those few religious nuts. :p

Again, for another thread( which such subject has been beaten to death with 1000 nukes).

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Neither am I, but I believe the US had a big program under Bush for abstinence only sex education.

See http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2007/apr/16/schoolsworldwide.usa for example.

They don't say "don't use condoms just have sex anyway" they just say to wait until marriage - the thing is that many people actually don't wait, and then they are generally less likely to use protection.

Completely agreed.

-----

Back on topic, there are undoubtably people in Britain (I believe mainly muslims) who pull their kids out of sex education for religious reasons (which they are allowed to do) and I don't think that makes them bad parents in the same way as not reading the back of a video game - really they are just misguided.

15. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

I think the point is more getting at parents doing as you have explained and THEN complaining about their kids violence/bad language/pregnancy/whatever it is as a potential result of allowing their kids to do as they please.

16. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the link.

To my understanding the Catholic Church condemns condoms saying they are unnatural. Even in a marriage they should be used.

17. quagmire thread starter macrumors 603

quagmire

I am not suggesting sheltering them. Hell, I am pretty liberal when it comes to things and wish we weren't so uptight about sex, boobs, the human body, etc. But, just complaining when parents complain about video games, sex, TV, etc when it is their job to determine if they want their kids to be exposed to that sort of stuff. If parents don't want their kids to go run around Moscow International Airport and shooting/killing innocent civilians, then don't buy them the game. Learn to say no to your kid vs complaining that the game maker made it too graphic for their precious 8 year old Billy to play.

Or what Rhalliwell1 said. :p

18. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

It's not without precedent. :D

19. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Excellent rant, quagmire. As a parent of 3 kids, I agree completely with you.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The problem was never about teaching about abstinence.

The problem was trying to teach abstinence only... truly a stick your head in the sand approach.

21. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

22. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

They teach abstinence at my school.

But I completely agree with you. And it's not just television and video games. Occasionally have I gone to the store and there was a six-year-old kid screaming at his parents, "I want a candy bar! And I want it now!" and their parents just say, "Okay," and buy them one. If I did that at that age, my parents wouldn't buy me a candy bar for weeks and I'd get a spanking when we got home.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Witnessed today at the grocery store...

A young mother shopping with her 3-4 year-old son who is exuberantly bouncing around the aisle says to her son, "Don't touch everything, Benjamin. Just touch what you want to buy."

Well, a four year-old wants to buy everything! And since when is it a good idea to give a small child control over your shopping choices?! :eek:

The sound of falling cans caught my attention. I looked back and saw the boy picking up some tuna he'd knocked over.

"Sorry mom," said the boy.

"It happens," replied the mother.

24. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Totally agree with OP. We have certain channels and ratings blocked on our TV. When we got our daughter an iPod Mini, we supervised the music she put on it - no explicit or rap, computer was in a main area where they can't use it unsupervised, etc.

25. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Why no rap?