Rape Table" was part of training for Customs officers at Newark AirportThe Department of Homeland Se

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by steve knight, May 10, 2017.

1. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

and we thought it was only stupid fatalities that did this crap.
    http://www.nbcnewyork.com/investiga...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

If this is true it's pretty jacked up. I'm all for hazing to a certain degree. Doing gopher chores; hauling gear; being spoken down to; it's all fine in my view. But men grabbing women (and even vice versa) is too far and wrong.

As I straight guy we used to play "gay chicken" in the all male work forces I've been a part of and have hazed all the new guys.

3. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

While it is in the definition of the word, the current strong negative connotations make it sound like excessive physical/verbal abuse instead of something more like a one off test or trial.

(I am not accusing you of anything, just commenting on the impression of that word, hazing.)

4. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Sure. But playful hazing is fine. I was hazed, and I have hazed others. I have never ties a woman to a table and grinded and groped her.

5. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Damn... that's some messed up stuff. The most hazing new customs officers got in my day was a request to look up the duty and taxes on sailboat fuel.

6. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

We used to make guys go look for the cable stretcher or the metric adjustable or the relative bearing grease. For the really arrogant new guys we may or may not have tied them to ladders for several hours at a time.

7. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

Right side up or upside down? :D

We didn't really mess around with stuff like that because we were with the public pretty much all the time ... and there's enough nasty bits of the job anyway. Like going through a cube van in 40 C heat (that's 104F), or 'personal searches'.

8. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

We were working in the shipyard so no public and usually only our crew in tight quarters. And we never taped anybody upside down.

9. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Yes, "playful", or not distressing/damaging.
    Horseplay.

"Hazing" is become a landmine word because the meaning is being altered to something very negative (instead of its neutral).

(And BTW, the report is shocking.)

10. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

The linked case is messed up.

11. sorcery macrumors regular

sorcery

Does hazing happen in other countries? Have only ever heard the term in connection to USA outfits.

12. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

It happens everywhere.

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Never seen it done in the places I've lived in Europe. Seems really primitive and tribalisic. Recently read a story about some university chap in America that fell down stairs during "hazing", his friends didn't call an ambulance in time and he died. Absolute shame.

14. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Likewise.

I have never seen this does in Europe, or when I have worked with Europeans abroad.

And, yes, agreed, it does sound primitive, tribalistic, and ugly, something that takes a form of ritual humiliation.

15. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

this is the US we are pretty primitive barbarians.

16. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

Speak for yourself, Steve.

17. hulugu, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017

hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

There's a big difference between a crucible intended to prove your mettle and become part of a shared experience, and ritualized abuse.

Asking someone to run up flights of stairs carrying a full gear load and a weight belt is a test. Asking someone to endure 40 miles of road marches in 54 hours on little sleep and food is a test.

Most cultures had some kind of ritual to prove manhood, but those rituals were usually highly-structured and built to be terrifying, but largely harmless—even ritual scaring, while scary is set up to minimize harm.

Taping someone to a table and groping them is rape-y ******** that should be prosecuted as a sex crime.

18. steve knight thread starter macrumors 68020

steve knight

dude your my poster child (G)

19. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

Reminds me of Boy Scout camping where we sent the newbies to other camps looking for smoke shifters and bacon stretchers. :p

20. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Never once worked anywhere that was a thing. Sounds...odd/creepy to me, but what I do I know I'm just a youngster.

21. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I always thought the concept of hazing was something the movies. I've never once witnessed it in the US in person, that is. The closest I've seen in my travels, mainly in Europe, is cheeky chiding or really good quips that leave the "victim" unable to retort. For some reason in the US it involves strange doctor patient games akin to something you'd read out of a crappy erotica novel and having to learn more and more strange things about ibook's life. Such as his affinity for all things gay.

22. ChrisWB macrumors 6502

I've never seen this outside of the US. It's something that mostly uneducated American men enjoy. I'm not sure how to phrase that without coming across as judgmental. It happens less in large corporations because it's almost always a fireable offense.

23. Scepticalscribe, May 11, 2017
    Last edited: May 15, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

In a former life, I used to be an academic, and - obviously - this is not what one sees or experiences in a university environment.

However, in any of the (international) bodies or supranational organisations I have worked with (or for) subsequently, this would be a fireable offence, - an instantly fireable offence, as in "you are on the first plane home, and your sending authorities will be informed why you have been dismissed" - too.

24. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Ooo same. After university I went back to my college as a (part time) lecturer. Since then I've worked in 3 other colleges around Europe. Never seen it in schools here… nor do my employees do it. I think people are just friendlier. Something has to be wrong with a person to tie someone down - like in the threads story.

25. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

It seems to me 'US-style' hazing is a derivative of the British "initiation" ceremonies... (which was usually just an excuse to get violently ill from alcohol poisoning). :D