Rapidweaver • TIPS & Discussion

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Denny Deals!, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Denny Deals! macrumors newbie

Hi there!
    I did some searching on here and was surprised that I didn't find anyone recently
    discussing the truly fantastic Rapidweaver web page software. I've been using it
    for 6 months now, and truly find it to be the quickest way to get great results!

Is anyone else here working with it?

Also, has anyone here have any experience with Elixir products??

~ Denny

2. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    When my main focus was web site building, I was doing a lot of research on these products, and I can say that OS X had me astonished from the very beginning. CoDA has a lot of power in it, I love all of its features and its philosophy. I'd say it's better than Dreamweaver, not to mention WAY CHEAPER.

iWeb does what I can't: provide great graphics to work with. It's a shame that you can't do much except for editing the text and photos, but for someone who does not show an interest towards these things, it works great. I can't figure out why all its users end up posting some horrible web sites on the web...

CSS Edit and Espresso sure look nice, and, together with Rapidweaver, they had me intrigued right away.

Rapidweaver is a very nice tool to work with. It has a lot of power, and the templates are just GREAT. I was particularly in love with Elixir. I can't remember if they create template or this is a template itself, but I think the theme I am talking about is something with Cameleon in its name, or something like that. I was so much in love with it.

Heck, you brought back some good memories. I'm downloading it right now. I can't seem to figure out why I've never given it a try since I got my Mac. It was one of the main reasons I wanted OS X...

3. Denny Deals! thread starter macrumors newbie

@Not Available

Who's theme is "Cameleon?" Your post caused me to check my Rapidweaver to see if I have it, but couldn't find it. Now you have me VERY curious to see what you're referring to!

I've "tinkered" with Dreamweaver but found it just too slow to learn. It's not that I'm a slow learner... I just found the results took much too long to finally get. So, in working with Rapidweaver the results came FAST, and my enthusiasm to continue remained VERY HIGH!

I have Coda & Espresso too, but am very new at coding. I do find them quite helpful to massage code for analytic type activities though. Both are exceptionally well programmed. :)

OH! I also use a plugin called @Stash in my Rapidweaver site. It's perfect for keeping NOTES & CODE with the site... much like a note pad or small filing cabinet. This way, I don't have to keep loose papers of my notes on my desk. Have u tried it?

4. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

RW gets mentioned quite a bit actually, you must not have looked around too much. I tried it, but wasn't impressed and deleted it after a day. I hand code with BBEdit.

I also find your signature a bit spammy.

5. Denny Deals! thread starter macrumors newbie

@angelwatt
    I did do a search for Rapidweaver, under "Web Design & Development," and nothing came
    up in the first two pages, so I felt okay with starting this thread.

So, back to the topic. You use BBEdit? What didn't you like about RW?
    What types of sites are you creating? (could you post a link or two?)

PS. Please don't let my sig. offend you. I read the FAQ/Rules carefully and do understand them.
    Thank you for your watchful concern.

6. Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    How about the graphics? I, for one, can't say I am at even a basic level of Photoshop, or any other graphical editing software. I also hand code it, and find CoDA to be one of the best syntax editors. For web, that is. For C/C++, I use vim.

Elixir's. You said it yourself. Check it out!

There isn't much to learn. I, for one, find the Code Formatting, Syntax Highlighting and so on to be some of the most powerful on most of the text-editing software.

Espresso and CSS Edit. Hmm... I think I'm going to download the trials right now.

I've given RW a try and I'm not satisfied at all. It's too bloated for me...

7. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The forum search doesn't always have the greatest results, MRoogle works better. Also, a lot of people short hand it as RW I've noticed. I've been hanging here for a while and see it mentioned pretty much weekly.

I didn't like the lack of control with RW. I hand code because I like total control. RW just felt limiting. I also like the scriptability in BBEdit. I have some AppleScripts that I've embedded that give me a lot of power. The SVN integration can also be handy. I also generally deal on the development side more than the design side, which RW seems aimed at. I'm not saying RW is bad, it simply doesn't fit my style. My web site is in my profile, though some of what I do I don't link to because of its nature, but web development is a hobby for me.

Your signature doesn't offend me, it simply looks spammy, like your user name. I routinely report posts and users for spam. Though, I haven't reported you, at least recently, that I can remember.

I don't make many graphics, despite being something of an artist, but haven't practiced much with digital art. I use GIMP most of the time, but have been considering getting a version of Photoshop Elements that works with Leopard (and Snow Leopard) to make better use of my graphic tablet. I occasionally do graphics by hand coding them too, programatically that is.