Rather than be embarrassed further Trump dissolves Manufacture's council

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MadeTheSwitch, Aug 16, 2017.

1. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

2. samiwas macrumors 68000

Somehow, the Republicans will spin this as the manufacturers and Democrats problem.

No chaos, people.

3. JayMysterio macrumors 6502

JayMysterio

But wait? Is that unfair to the so many that wanted to take the places of those grandstanders that left?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    You left pressure from the fake media out as well.

4. IronWaffle, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

• Losing support of CEOs
    • GOP silent and not defending him after Charlottesville
    • Congress cornering him (investigations; Sessions; Russia sanctions)
    • No significant legislation
    • Polls in the gutter
    • General lack of support from our allies
    • Thank you note from David Duke
    • Mueller

I know it's too soon, but maybe we're actually on the path to making America great again?

Edit: I just realized I have enough bullet points to launch my very own comprehensive tax plan!

5. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

6. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Yeah well, these replacement business leaders were as much a figment of his imagination as the investigators he sent to Hawaii to look into Obama's birth certificate. There were no people waiting in the wings to join this train wreck. Not after yesterday's disastrous press conference.

7. samcraig macrumors P6

He has yet to understand that America is saying something similar. That we don't want to put pressure on Trump, we'd just like to end his Presidency.

8. IronWaffle macrumors 6502

IronWaffle

CNN just read Carrier's CEO's resignation from the council. It's pretty damning in its content. Can't find it online, but hopefully someone else will post it. Edit: That may be it in the above post, though they cited something specifically from Carrier that sounded very similar.

Maybe they were really just token and symbolic but right out of the gate Tr*mp touted his business bona fides and made a big deal about these CEOs being a sort of crown jewel of things to come. Likewise, he made a huge deal about his success with Carrier. As always overhyped, but something he took particular pride in.

Even if he's in for a full term, is this not the makings of premature lame-duckitude? He got more done on this vacation than I dared imagine. Thankfully we skirted nuclear war... but he may have a lot of vacation time ahead.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

You think Trump had one of his talks? "I hope you guys can issue a statement that doesn't put the blame on me. I think you should. You are the ones causing issues here. hope hope hope hope..."

10. arkitect macrumors 603

arkitect

11. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Problem is that the members leaving were predominately just playing CYA so they didn't look "bad". My hat is off to the members who stayed and showed they know the difference between business and politics and can separate the two.

12. Scepticalscribe, Aug 16, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2017

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I am almost surprised that he hasn't stuffed it with members of his family to replace those unfortunate resignations.

More seriously: Agreed; An appalling, pathetic, shallow, narcissistic and thin-skinned man.

His ungenerous twitter response to the first of those resignation spoke volumes.

Et ma famille......

But, yes, agreed - the quote seems apt as a description of the ghastly mindset of a mean-spirited little man who is unable to distinguish between the public good and the private good.

13. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

That's crap. No one should associate with someone who makes false equivalencies between people who want to kill, deport, or withhold rights from others vs those who oppose that.

Seriously stop defending this horrible man.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Totally disagree. One of the members I am very familiar with. He stayed saying while he may not agree with the Presidents statements on certain subjects, those subjects are not why they are there. His company has a responsibility to remain engaged. Those who left deliberately pulled politics into the venue where it had no place being.

15. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

So true. Politics has no place on a Presidential Advisory Council.

Dude, get a beta reader and have somebody review these before you send them out.

16. LordVic macrumors 601

As another person of Jewish descent, i'm seriously torn. The fact that Nazis are outright walking aorund on city streets without fear and believing they've been empowered to finally speak up absolutely hurts me to my soul. the stories from my grandparents should traumatize anyone with 1/2 a brain to not supporting nazism.

I agree that it's their 1A rights. but at the same time, there should be a point where they're no longer advocating their rights, but advocating violence and genocide. This shouldn't be acceptable speech anywhere. When the Nazis who showed up in Charlottevsille started chanting "Kill the Jews" and actually advocating for racial cleansing (they were, it's on tape, you can watch lots of clips from lots of resources), they gave up their 1A rights.

I take it personally. Because our forefathers weren't massacred for this. Our grandparents didn't get slaughtered by the millions by hateful people. Didn't have their entire lives destroyed, jUst so that we can sit around and say "Maybe we should let them speak".

There's a hard line when you "restrict" someones rights, But there still has to be a line. Nazism, and everything it stands for crosses that line

That's a cop out. that's someone who is likely putting their own benefits above and beyond reasonbility. They're willing to stand by a president who might be a nazi sympathizer because "it's not the subject we're here for".

no, at some point, when faced with evil, you either take a stand or you're complicit. The person you are talking about is clearly complicit by staying alongside trump.

Nazism and supporting those nazi's is a line that no reasonable human being should be crossing. EVER

17. samcraig macrumors P6

At some point/any point it's important to speak up. Whether the # is 50 or 500,000. So yes, like @A.Goldberg , I do not feel the majority of people feel the same. But there needs to be a line drawn. Silence is not a viable option.

18. duffman9000 macrumors 68000

duffman9000

QUITTER!! I knew he was a damn quitter! Things get rough and he packs up his orange football and goes home.

19. Rhonindk macrumors 68040

Rhonindk

Just took another gander at that. Ouch! o_O
    --- Post Merged, Aug 16, 2017 ---
    I happen to agree with his position and he is the CEO of a major global corp ... Your and my opinion differs in this.

20. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

To a certain degree, I'm with you. These guys have a job to do, and part of being professional means working with people you may not like or agree with. That, and if they stay on then they can continue to contribute their voice, whereas signing off gives a one-time message... and that's it.

On the other hand, Trump isn't showing much willingness to listen to the advice of others. Were any of these councils actually doing anything besides acting as a decoration for Trump?

And perhaps more importantly, there are things more important than business. If Hitler had some sort of council of business leaders, would we be looking back in the history books and saying "wow, those guys were so professional"? No, we'd be saying that they were complicit with the ultimate evil; that they had a chance to voice opposition in some way, but they just went along with it. I'll grant that Trump isn't Hitler, but look where we are now: we have honest-to-God Nazis marching in the streets, and Trump - a man who is ordinarily unrestrained when it comes to voicing insults and disapproval - is giving mixed signals to the group. I sincerely hope that when we look back at this time in a decade or so that we say that the business leaders who resigned were acting prematurely, but I suspect we may be saying that they were gutsy and restored some faith that people running corporations are not entirely soulless individuals who don't care for the society that they live in.

21. LordVic macrumors 601

Than you are complicit as well.

22. samcraig macrumors P6

I'm equally torn. One of my friends posted about boycotting companies on the council. I understand the sentiment. But I also noted that (for example) Walmart's CEO spoke out pretty intensely about Trump and the incident. And if there is a council, wouldn't people want CEOs in the inner circle who are not afraid to speak out against the President when he is wrong? Now you can hate Walmart for a lot of other reasons (labor laws, how they want to be on the council to benefit their business, etc) - but that's a different matter. Personally, I wouldn't want to be associated with Trump or one of his councils. And I would be skeptical of most CEOs who support Trump. But if there IS to be a council (now we know there won't be) I would have rather it be filled with those who didn't act beholden.

23. MadeTheSwitch thread starter macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

I'm sure these CEO's with a conscience understand that your values don't get left at the White House gate. Nor should they. Ever.

But it shouldn't. There is a time to stand with someone and a time to not. This is that time. How does one stand beside someone who doesn't understand this? You can't just put racism in a box and hide it away under your bed, pretending it doesn't exist, pretending these false equivalencies are okay. Because you see, it's not just politics, it is people's real lives. And someone died. This stuff matters. Seriously do you even have a line that Trump could cross to make you feel differently?

24. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I'm not sure that we can realistically separate business and politics at this point. Moreover, Trump brought the advisory council further into politics when he attacked Merck's CEO on Twitter.

He could have let it go, but in the midst of counterpunching he managed to tap his own nuts.

Sure, maybe the CEOs could have stayed, but it's possible that they saw no benefit to being there and vehemently disagreed with the president.

For some, it might have been purely symbolic, but that tells you something about the President's toxicity.