Rattling on my brand new rMBP 13" (Mid 14)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tourgott, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Tourgott macrumors member

Hello guys,

I just got my brand new rMBP 13" (Mid 14). I'm very happy so far but I noticed one thing I'm not sure if it's normal.

My rMBP is absolutely silent, no fan noise or anything but sometimes there is a very quiet rattling. It's hard to describe. It sounds a little bit like when the old HDD's loaded something and you could hear it.

I'm note sure if my old MBP 2010 (upgraded with an SSD) did the some noise because there was always a very quiet fan noise which maybe overlaid this noise.

I just wanted to ask if this is normal or if I should check for a replacement within the first 14 days.

Thank you very much in advance.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're not happy with the Mac, then take it back and exchange it.

3. Tourgott thread starter macrumors member

I'm happy. Unfortunately you deleted my additional post where I stated that I found out that other people experience the same noise. It's not that annoying but maybe there will be longterm problems.

So if the noise is normal I don't need to exchange it.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Why don't you take it into apple and have them check it out. I don't think a rattle is normal. I've had many different MBPs and before that Powerbooks, I did not have a single rattle within any of those.

Something loose (which is the cause of a rattle) is never normal imo.

5. Tourgott thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. I guess you're right. It's just too expensive to not let it check.

6. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

Does this noise go away if you turn off the keyboard backlight?

7. Tourgott thread starter macrumors member

Just tried it. It's still there. It's always rattling if the SSD does read something (checked with the Activity control center). That's strange because there should be no mechanical parts in an SSD.

8. x3n0n1c macrumors regular

The only moving parts are the hinge, keyboard, trackpad, and the fans.

You are either hearing some form of electrical squealing or the fans are making noise.

Electrical squeals are generally nothing to worry about but I would take it to apple if you can. They don't all make this noise so I wouldn't live with it if I didn't have to.