RAW iPhone Camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcusj0015, Feb 21, 2012.

1. marcusj0015 macrumors 65816

Will Apple's Camera.app EVER have a raw image mode?

2. psonice macrumors 6502a

Probably not. They clearly (from the features they allow vs. what the camera is capable of) intend it as an easy to use consumer device rather than anything 'professional'. RAW output isn't available to devs either.

3. marcusj0015 thread starter macrumors 65816

Damn. I LOVE the portability offered by the iPhone (Not to mention price) and with the 4S I had high hopes for RAW, but it looks like you're right and we won't get RAW. (I'm kinda hardcore about Lossless.)

4. BiggAW macrumors 68020

The tiny glass on the iPhone would never support the quality of RAW. Yes, you could get some editing advantage, but if you want RAW, get a Canon or Nikon DSLR.

5. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Sorry for my ignorance but what is RAW camera?

6. Diode macrumors 68020

Diode

It's essentially a file with the unprocessed output of image sensor. Photographers like them because it's the digital equivalent to a negative.

7. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ok that makes sense, thanks!

8. SurferMan macrumors 65816

Doubt it'll happen, maybe in a couple more gens lol. All phone manufacturers keep competing for biggest "MP" cams, but they seem to forget the more important pieces... like better lens tech etc. You could have 15MP cam in the next phone but without a better lens kinda pointless.

9. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

"Never support the quality of RAW?"

It's funny that you berated that other guy for not knowing what a RAW file is when it seems you're a little fuzzy on the concept yourself. Perhaps you should Google it too. Lens quality has nothing to do with whether its useful or not.

If I could have access to the original camera data from an iPhone I would have a greater ability to color correct the photos. When it gets compressed down to a JPEG you lose some of that ability. It would be nice to get a crack at that data before it gets compressed.

Color correcting has nothing to do with the quality of the lens. You can get any color through the glass, no matter how "tiny" it is, so it would nice to keep all those colors.

I don't think Apple should ever make RAW files a basic feature in their camera app. Most people don't need it. But yeah, it'd be cool if they let developers have a shot at it so that someone could come out with a 'RAW camera app' in the app store. That would be a fun app for those who want it.

10. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I think you'd see an app on Cydia for this way before Apple would allow it in the app store.

11. B777Forevar macrumors 6502a

B777Forevar

Even if the iPhone had RAW, it will still never replace my DSLR

12. BiggAW, Feb 27, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 27, 2012

BiggAW macrumors 68020

Exactly. The ability to have RAW data without a great lens doesn't make a whole lot of sense. It would also over tax the storage on a phone, which isn't made to dump tons of data like a DSLR is.

13. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

The new HTC One X has RAW capabilities and supposedly a fantastic camera.