RAW to JPG but retain photo date.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Donka, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Donka macrumors 68020

Donka

I'm looking to clean up my iPhoto library and then move it to Photos. I have a bunch of older events that contain RAW images that I can safely convert to JPG prior to importing to Photos. The issue I have is I want to retain the event date i.e. the date the photos were shot. It seems if I export the RAW images from iPhoto to JPGs, the creation and modified dates are reset to today which means when it comes to importing, they will all have the same date. I want to be able to import these all back into iPhoto and remove the RAW images so I have an 'optimised' library that I can import in Photos.
    Is this possible or is there a better method that will effectively let me replace my RAW images with JPGs and retain the various events and dates?

2. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I think you are referring to the file creation and modified dates. If you look at the metadata/exif you will hopefully find that it has retained the original creation date and probably edited date as well. One way to look at this is to open the jpg image in Preview, cmd-i, then dig through the information box that is displayed.

3. Donka thread starter macrumors 68020

Donka

Thanks - you may be right. I did a Get Info on the file but never thought to use preview to view the Exif data. I'll check that tonight.