jkcerda

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2013
Criminal Mexi Midget

blackfox

macrumors 65816
Feb 18, 2003
PDX
I am confused. Can gender equality and "all-female staff" be on the same page?
<zing> it's equality of opportunity, not of outcome. Meritocracy should still matter, but all people should start on equal footing.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 68040
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
<zing> it's equality of opportunity, not of outcome. Meritocracy should still matter, but all people should start on equal footing.
Interesting. I am very on the fence on the equality of opportunity thing. It’s reasonable but at the same time is it really that good?
Would it be right that if my parents wasted all the money they made in prostituite, drugs, stupid cars, alcohol I could still start with the same amount of money than the son of a couple that diligently saved and sacrificed to give him a better life? Often what helps people to get out of the sewers in bad situations is the push to give the kids a much better life. Just thinking out loud, using money as an example because it’s easily measurable, comparable, and quite important.
(Obviously i recognize that at the same time the son of two crappy parents is in no fault of his own)

Altis

macrumors 68030
Sep 10, 2013
Except people aren't really trying to resolve "equality of opportunity", they're just looking at the outcomes and trying to force it to be "equal".

Reactions: appleisking