RCMP probe report saying Canadians training with al-Qaida in Pakistan for jihad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Apple OC, Jan 15, 2011.

1. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

2. Kauai macrumors 6502a

3. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

4. 184550 Guest

The 12 you know about and the hundreds or thousands you don't know about.

Posted from my iPad.

5. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Yes we do ... It is not so much just the 12 we have to worry about ... it is the many more that we do not know about.

Maybe you should try thinking outside of the box and I would not have to explain that to you.

Edit: thank you Nathan, you beat me to explaining this

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I have a rock that prevents tiger attacks for you....

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the linked article...

Assistant RCMP [royal canadian Mounted Police] commissioner Gilles Michaud told the Canadian Press Friday that the Mounties and their security and intelligence partners were assessing the information in the report for its "credibility and reliability."

Michaud said the RCMP would take "appropriate action" according to the results of that assessment, which he added was being carried out as quickly as possible.

Sounds to me like the Canadians are on it.

Why do you think our military is the most effective way to deal with terrorism and not our law enforcement and intelligence agencies? Now I realize that some of our intelligence agencies are tied to the military, but it sounds as if you're against cutting back on it all.

Besides, as the article points out, this is a global issue and needs global solutions. We can't solve this problem all by ourselves. We need to pool the resources of our friends and allies in order to effectively fight terrorism.

So I'm afraid I can't agree with your desire to increase the size of our already bloated military.

8. 184550 Guest

I've never heard that expression before, you'll have to explain that one to me.

Posted from my iPad.

9. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The article specifically mentions ... Attacks back in Canada.

BTW ... with all due respect to the wonderful Men and Women who serve in our forces ... The Canadian Military is far from bloated. ... more like under manned and under funded.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Simpsons fail :(

Anyway, maybe Canada should increase its police force to prevent those thousands of murders we don't know about yet.

Or for that matter up the Fire Department, we never know when someones going to light something on fire.

You'd think collectively as a society the "lets throw resources at the unknown for a false sense of security" approach would have died out after what we've been through.

11. 184550 Guest

If terrorism were like fires and criminals, that'd make sense. Unfortunately, it's not.

Posted from my iPad.

12. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Elaborate. Terrorists are merely rebranded criminals in my book.

Edit: congrats on the iPad btw, I'm trying to save up for the next generation.

13. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

I have noticed a trend in how you reply to threads ... discredit posters at all cost ... even if you have to quote "Bart Simpson"

14. 184550 Guest

Criminals, for the most part, can be locked down to certain geographic areas. Thus it is easier to understand their movements, habits, targets, etc... Therefore, police have an easier time tracking their movements, targets and establishing their habits.

For example, it is easier to track criminals that operate in one of the five NY boroughs? Or all five, or even all of New York state? The broader the scale, the harder it is to establish patterns, track movements, influences etc... Thus more time, resources and raw manpower is required the broader the scale grows.

Thanks, it was a surprise Christmas present. I'm still trying to get use to the keyboard, hence my 'Posted from...' just in case I mistakenly autocorrect something or leave out a whole word(s). (Which I seem to do quite often for some reason :confused:.)

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I like to point out flaws in thoughts, its a good way to get people to think their ideas through more.

Does it matter what I quote as long as it is still relevant?

What was this post supposed to do, "discredit" me? :confused:

16. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

The Simpsons are hardly relevant ... as far as you pointing out flaws in thoughts ... you do know there is a button to preview your post? ... before you post things like "quotes from Bart Simpson"

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It was actually Lisa.

She tries to point out a flaw in Homer's thinking about how a Bear patrol is doing a good job because he doesn't see any bears around. She picks up a rock and tells him that it's a tiger repellant in an attempt to make him see the logical flaw. Rather than get it, he offers Lisa money for the rock.

It's in the same vein as "well we don't know how many Canadian terrorists there are, but it definitely justifies an increase in the military."

18. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Sorry ... I cannot relate as I have never seen an episode of the Simpsons ever.

IMO ... the show just seems very immature.

so therefore I certainly could never see how the Simpsons could ever be relevant to a news article concerning the dangers of Terrorism.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I just laid out the scene for you. If you can't draw connections that's your problem, not mine.

20. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

It sounds even more immature when you "lay it out" ... It has nothing to do with the news article I posted ... not even remotely.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It has to do with your response to the article. The "we don't know what it is but we should definitely do something about it" approach is always a bad road to take.

22. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

If you read my comment to the article ... or the article. ... Maybe you will understand how irrelevant your posts are.

Quoting from the Simpsons is just hard to grasp onto unless I was on that level.

23. citizenzen macrumors 65816

DOH! [smacks forehead] You're Canadian and not talking about the US military. Apologies for my self-centered tunnel vision.

So let's see here...

You say canada needs to stop cutting back on its military, but according to the statistics that I found and this chart illustrated below, it's been increasing.

From the Toronto Sun, Canadians want military spending cut back: poll March 5, 2010...

With the budget just coming out that holds spending on the military until the end of our commitment in Afghanistan, the government has not done what most of Canada wants them to do, which is transfer that funding to programs within our own borders,” said Leger vice president Dave Scholz.

Could you please provide some information that corroborates your assertion "...we need to stop cutting back on our Military..."?

Attached Files:

24. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I've read the entire thread so far, are you still on about the "we don't know how many there are" line of thinking? If so, my posts are entirely relevant.

If you're talking about something else, please make it a bit clearer so we can move this conversation forward.

25. Apple OC thread starter macrumors 68040

Apple OC

Your chart already explains it ... if the chart went farther back, you would see that we once had a much larger Military ... I have lived here for 45 years.

Do you not see the steady decline from the beginning of the chart up until a couple of years ago ... In today's society ... we need to increase our Military to much higher than back in 1988 ... much higher.