Re: 768 GB SSD BTO option in Retina MacBook Pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crooner, Jun 11, 2012.

1. crooner macrumors newbie

I know it's early, but does anyone know who is supplying the 768 GB SSD BTO option in the new Retina MacBook Pro? I'd love to find an SSD that large, but cannot find any (at least at anything approaching a reasonable price).
    Does anyone know of an existing SSD that size for sale at any of the usual places?

I realize that the pricing on the new MBP is jacked up, but the BTO option price for the 768 GB SSD isn't that bad for Apple.

Any info is much appreciated.

2. Rmafive macrumors 6502

Pretty sure they use some proprietary system for their flash storage. It isn't something you can put in any other computer besides a macbook air. Their flash memory is different from a standard ssd as well, it is not in a 2.5 inch format.

3. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

do we even know what form factor the ssd is? is it a blade style drop in or something new? also, adding the 768gb sad changes build time from 5-7 days to 3-5 weeks

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Flash storage on the new MBP is not a typical SSD in a drive body, and there are no 3rd party alternatives available at this time.

5. crooner thread starter macrumors newbie

Interesting. Wasn’t aware of that. I figured they use standard 2.5" mechanisms.
    Is it confirmed that they DO NOT use 2.5" form factor drives for even the non-AIR MBP's?

----------

If this is, indeed, so (and I'm not disputing what you say), this would leave one to believe that the drive, like the RAM, is NOT upgradable in the new MBP's. This, for me, is yet another deterrent.

6. pragmatous macrumors 65816

It's a blade style. Looks like a stick of RAM kind of I guess. The RAM is not upgradable nor replaceable in the RMBP.

7. iMusings macrumors member

It doesn't follow the mSATA standard however. Sad to say.

8. pragmatous, Jun 11, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2012

pragmatous macrumors 65816

Yup couple that with integrated RAM and I refuse to buy that. I bought the regular MBP.

9. crooner thread starter macrumors newbie

Solid State Drive.

If I'm off on this I'm sure someone will correct me.

Basically, it's a flash based drive (somewhat akin to RAM) rather than a traditional drive with magnetic spinning platters. The result is a huge speed boost.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you get the configuration you want when you initially order, there's no need to upgrade afterwards. This isn't new. This has been true for MBAs for quite a while.