RE connecting macbook to a monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by budge9, Sep 28, 2007.

1. budge9 macrumors member

Sorry if this sounds like a very stupid question but I was just wondering if I could and what I would need to buy and to do to connect my macbook to an lcd monitor. Would I also need to get a keyboard in order to use the macbook by looking at the lcd screen? Thanks for helping- I'm still trying to get used to using a mac.

2. ktbubster macrumors 6502a

ktbubster

Umm.. you could probably find the answer to this by using search, but for the sake of time, I'll let you know, that you shouldn't have to really do anything. If I am correct the macbook only has mini-dvi, but like other portables from apple, it should come with a connector that is a mini-dvi to dvi converter. Basically you just get your lcd monitor then plug the full size dvi into the converter and that into your macbook. The macbook should immediately recognize the screen and pop up onto it.

You can go to system preferences and play around with the displays and slide the windows around etc to pick mirrored modes, or extended screens etc. If you close the macbook while connected to the monitor, initially it will go to sleep, but if you move your external mouse or type on an external keyboard, the lcd will wake up and you can run in clamshell mode if you want.

Yes.. you will want an external keyboard if you are going to be using it this way. you can get some good wireless ones anywhere. I got a nice logitech set for like 30 bucks. Not top of the line, but good for the price.

Enjoy your new set up :)

Need more info, just search the forums or google it.