Re-downloading Iphoto update after restore of earlier version

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by alc2147, Aug 13, 2014.

1. alc2147 macrumors newbie

I downloaded an updated version of IPhoto to my iMac, but when I tried to open iPhoto after the update, iPhoto froze. I restored the earlier version of iPhoto using my Time Machine thinking that I would run the update again.

After the restore, I tried to open iPhoto, but I got a message saying it would only open if I downloaded the new update for iPhoto. However, when I went to the App Store, the "update" button was replaced with a button that says it was already downloaded--I do not see a way to re-download the update again. Is there a way to re-download the iPhoto update again to access iPhoto?

Thanks.

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Just go to your Applications folder and dump the iPhoto app in the trash then the App Store should let you redownload.

3. alc2147 thread starter macrumors newbie

But if I delete iPhoto, and re-download the program, then the new iPhoto will not have any of my pictures, correct?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I am talking about deleting the iPhoto app itself from the /Applications folder and that that would just delete the app and not your photos. By default your photos would be inside a package file called iPhoto Library in the ~/Pictures folder.

Deleting the app itself won't delete the photos.