Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Re-install 10.13 (but keep files & HFS+) -how?

macstatic

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I'm running MacOS 10.13.6 and have decided to re-install) because of some issues I can't resolve using other methods), but....
I want to keep my apps, user accounts etc. and I don't want it to change the file system to APFS (the boot drive is an SSD) but keep using HFS+.

When I upgraded from an older OSX version I did a clean install of High Sierra (erase the drive before installing) and forcing it to keep the HFS+ filing system (my boot drive is an SSD) following the instructions here: Is it possible to NOT convert to APFS when upgrading to High Sierra?

So, provided I've downloaded a copy of the High Sierra installer (the download link on that page only works with Safari in my experience!) is it just a matter of rebooting with CMD-R (recovery), or do I have to go through the same procedure again, only this time the installer "sees" an existing High Sierra on the SSD and tries to fix it instead of overwriting everything?

I have of course made a full Time Machine backup of everything and will make a new backup just before performing the re-installation in case something goes wrong.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.