Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apfelweie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2011
Hi gals and guys

A couple of month ago as my MacBook Pro was getting slower and slower, filled to the brim, and I did some maintenance: cleared all caches, repaired disk and permissions with disk utility, and also defragmented the disk with iDefrag.
This finally led to the Mac not booting anymore, so I had no other choice than to reformat the drive and install all my stuff again (back-ups from different sources, a couple of days filled with fun ;)

My Mac runs great now, but I need to re-install my BootCamp partition with Windows XP and all the applications and documents I had. I had backed-up the BootCamp partition on an external disk by just copying the contents, check the picture below of what I'm seeing.

Now the tricky bit… can I reconstruct my BootCamp partition with its data as it was before, if yes how? Steps?

Thanks so much for any hint and trick :cool:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 13.11.57.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-20 at 13.11.57.png
    56.4 KB · Views: 104

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Download Winclone (the paid version). IIRC, it's about $30.00 and well worth the money. It makes an image of your Windows installation which you can use to restore back to the Bootcamp partition after you resize & reformat the partition. I never had any luck with the free version, but I can tell you the paid version works perfectly. I've used it a few times to restore my Windows back to Bootcamp.

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
free Winclone 2.3.1

Download Winclone (the paid version). IIRC, it's about $30.00 and well worth the money. It makes an image of your Windows installation which you can use to restore back to the Bootcamp partition after you resize & reformat the partition. I never had any luck with the free version, but I can tell you the paid version works perfectly. I've used it a few times to restore my Windows back to Bootcamp.

Winclone 2.3.1 (free) worked just fine for me with XP and SL.
It did, however, take a while for "things" on XP to settle down.
(A while meaning a few restarts--over a few days.)

joec1101

macrumors 6502a
Jun 29, 2010
So Cal, USA
Winclone 2.3.1 (free) worked just fine for me with XP and SL.
It did, however, take a while for "things" on XP to settle down.
(A while meaning a few restarts--over a few days.)

I've heard this from others as well. I'm guessing the free version doesn't support Win 7 or greater.

marikavs

macrumors member
Aug 6, 2006
XP, not 7 (or greater)

I've heard this from others as well. I'm guessing the free version doesn't support Win 7 or greater.

Correct (I think.) Because the OP (Apfelweie) specifically mentioned XP I thought I'd set his/her mind at ease. However, theres' no mention of which OS X, so I thought I'd spell out that I used Snow Leopard for the free version. I'm not sure that would work with Lion or Mountain Lion. If you use either of those I think you get support (from Apple) ONLY for Windows 7 or greater in Bootcamp. The free version of Winclone would then not work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.