Re: Loud popping streaming music from MBP to airport express

Discussion in 'macOS' started by drew01484, Nov 27, 2008.

1. drew01484 macrumors newbie

Streaming iTunes – airport express (air tunes) – av amp

Macbook Pro (MBP leopard) (all software updates installed)
    AirPort Express Base Station 802. 11n (firmware 7.3.2)

Hi All (sorry if in wrong section, difficult to categorize)

I am having a problem when playing music over air-tunes, (optical out) every so often,
    irrespective of file type and continuously throughout the music being played, I get a very
    loud popping/cracking noise outputted through the speakers,
    This noise is severe enough to be causing damage to my speakers, so is making air-tunes unusable.

I also have a Macbook (leopard up to date) that dose not have this problem, which suggests that
    its not a problem with airport but with my MBP.

Things I have already tried.

Direct optical connection from MBP to av-amp (music plays fine)
    Reinstallation of OSX 10.5.5 (full install e.g. reformat)
    Reset of express base station
    Rollback firmware of base station to 7.3
    Set wireless security to none from wpa2
    Tried all possible radio modes
    Problem persists over both wireless and wired (gigabit) network cards on MBP
    All programs off during testing except iTunes
    Tried switching off processes in network utility (have not spent a lot of time on this as not sure/confident as to which are critical system processes).

It seems to me as this is happening with both network cards that this is not a
    network hardware problem on the MBP but maybe a background process on MBP is intermittently
    some how causing a spike of interference.

Also leopard is a resent upgrade, I can’t be sure but I don’t think this problem
    happened when I had osx 10.4 installed, certainly when I first setup air-tunes
    under 10.4 the problem was not there.

Am about all out of ideas, so I would be very grateful for any input on this.

Kind Regards
    Drew…

2. kunze50 macrumors regular

Wait till 10.5.6 I guess. Seems to be a problem in 10.5.5, (maybe previous versions), where sometimes external speakers do pop when plugged in.