• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Apple's decision to withdraw from Macworld entirely has been generating a massive amount of feedback, both in our forums and the industry in general. Aside from the immediate impact, many are concerned that the withdrawal represents the end of the Macworld conference in general. Indeed, Apple's withdrawal from Apple Expo Paris has resulted in the cancellation of that show going forward.

Veterans of the Macworld show such as MacOSXHints' Rob Griffiths sees it as the end of an era, and feels it represents a loss for the community:
The most-affected group, I think, will be the Mac fans who made the annual trek to the Expo. Speaking as one of those folks—yes, it’s my job to go, but I still have a blast going—I’ll definitely miss the keynote, the One More Things, the cool new products (not just from Apple but the other vendors as well), and that great psychological kick I get from seeing the show every year. But those aren’t the things I’ll miss the most.

Instead, what I’ll really miss is the once-a-year chance to meet with people who I would otherwise never get to meet in the flesh.
Macworld.com's Jason Snell believes the expo could continue and be better off without Apple:
Macworld Expo is the premier showcase for third-party companies who develop products for Apple’s markets. And yet every year, those same companies schlep out to San Francisco to announce their next big products—and find their announcements completely washed away by whatever Steve Jobs announced on Tuesday morning. Completely washed away. Every company I’ve met in advance of Expo, I’ve implored to announce their product before Jobs gets on stage, because after that announcement everything else gets lost.
Analyst response has been mixed with some who believe that this means there will be no major announcements at Macworld, while others feel it is just a natural transition.

Article Link: Reaction to Apple's Withdrawal from Macworld, Apple Expo Paris Cancelled

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
expos are so costly to companies its almost holding onto tradition for tradition's sake. while they are nice place to announce products it also puts pressure on them to top last year and everyone else. i dont see how that is a good thing personally.

i see things like WWDC as a better sort of conference, with lessons and more workshops that are helpful to the community. but who knows what will happen with WWDC in the future as well.

Comment

bbotte

macrumors 65816
Feb 11, 2008
USA
Maybe it's to keep stuff under wraps better. If there are no regular scheduled shows to make announcements, the rumors and stuff will not be so accurate. Now we will just get hints that an event is coming.

Comment

MadDog31

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2007
I see this as Apple wanting more control over their message in their own events. Not only that, but it tends to get in the news more, and they can do these events in multiple cities if needed.

Besides, it costs a lot of time and money to prepare for trade shows such as MWSF. Scaling back and pulling things more in-house probably isn't that much of a surprise as a lot of companies are doing that these days.

It seems like at Macworld there was always a push from Apple to release products (or at least have them ready to announce) by early January. Perhaps now people can focus on when products are truly ready.

And also, it's hard to top the iPhone MWSF from a couple years ago. That one literally changed my life because I'm a huge iPhone supporter/user.

It sucks we won't have that awesome post-Christmas gift of watching a Stevenote, but there will be more to come, rest-assured. Hasn't Apple surprised us before?

Comment

CyberBob859

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2007
Companies may find it expensive, but to consumers, having a place to go every year to meet and network with other Mac fans will be a big blow.

Comment

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
horrible to cancel all of the conventions. it left people something to look forward to. having been to a few, i find that apple would cancel such an occasion, even if expensive at such a place as Moscone in San Francisco, something that sends the wrong message.

well, what can i say except that Apple gets more and more profitable, and as it does so, it acts more like a company that doesn't care about its customers or companies it does business with.

Comment

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Maybe it's to keep stuff under wraps better. If there are no regular scheduled shows to make announcements, the rumors and stuff will not be so accurate. Now we will just get hints that an event is coming.

Maybe.
Although an unconventional even doesn't seem to help.
We new about the September and October events way before the invites were sent out.
And people have been saying Apple's not putting much work into keeping leaks out.

Comment

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Well, it's all a big waste of money anyway. Just do it all online - much cheaper.

Comment

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
online is a good idea, but the "real" thing in presence is something no online event can beat :(

Comment

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
I agree...
It's odd, but they probably have something up their sleeve.

BTW: their timing to announce this "bombs" is well thought. Xmas and everybody is (should be) in a good mood, so the news won't come down so heavily.

Comment

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
STEVE JOBS IS DEAD!

....just kidding.
I do find it odd they are withdrawing from so many expos and cons that helped fuel the whole Mac-fever scene that has boosted the Apple line of products for the past 11 years.

Comment

crees!

macrumors 68000
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
I'd expect an event at Apple HQ a couple months or so after Macworld unveiling a new product.

@Lesser Evets
Look out for the SEC knocking on your door soon!

Comment

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I think Macworld COULD Thrive if it reinvents itself. Imagine something like the hugely successful Penny Arcade Expo, but for Mac geeks. With Apple gone it gives third parties a chance to strut their stuff.

Comment

dwwd

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
BJ and AJ

As a newby I would like to ask one thing....

How were the keynotes Before Jobs (BJ)? Do you guys think Macworld will be worst in 2010 than in 1997 or 1996?

Daniel

Comment

capnbishop

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
When one door closes...

As disappointing as this is, we'd be wise to remember that the end of one era only means the beginning of another. For better or for worse, we do have new things to look forward to out of this.

Comment

mmcxiiad

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2002
expos are so costly to companies its almost holding onto tradition for tradition's sake. while they are nice place to announce products it also puts pressure on them to top last year and everyone else. i dont see how that is a good thing personally.

i see things like WWDC as a better sort of conference, with lessons and more workshops that are helpful to the community. but who knows what will happen with WWDC in the future as well.

WWDC is different because it is both profitable for apple and essential to the apple developer community.

Comment

iPOD there4 Iam

macrumors newbie
Dec 17, 2008
Buzz Killers

These type of websites are a buzz kill.
How would you like to be an ego maniac (Steve Jobs) and have the honors of going up on stage and saying here is what you already know about?
Seems like a waste of time to me.

Comment

errol

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2008
I just don't understand why Apple is doing this. I'm so angry I could scream. I don't care if Macworld ceases to exist. I don't care if Anderson Cooper gives the macworld keynote, all I care is that the stock is down nearly 7% today. That is a lot of market value for something so silly. Why do companies make such announcements, knowing that their value in stock will fall off a cliff? Make it less harsh. A giant WTF to apple.

Comment

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
I just don't understand why Apple is doing this. I'm so angry I could scream. I don't care if Macworld ceases to exist. I don't care if Anderson Cooper gives the macworld keynote, all I care is that the stock is down nearly 7% today. That is a lot of market value for something so silly. Why do companies make such announcements, knowing that their value in stock will fall off a cliff? Make it less harsh. A giant WTF to apple.

Maybe because Stock is an ephemeral thing?

Sheesh, give it time and it will go up again. This is just people panicking, JUST LIKE after Macworld!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.