Reaction to the ABC "Debate"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by trebblekicked, Apr 16, 2008.

1. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

I'm sure I betray my disgust by using quotation marks, but I wanted to see if the feeling was universal.

Did we really need an hour's worth of discourse on the muckraking from the past seven weeks? The weathermen question was absurd for a litany of reasons. And really, did the moderators think we hadn't heard enough about Rev. Wright? Or Bosnia? Or Bitterness?

I can honestly say nothing of worth was discovered last night, other than a new low for political journalism and intellectual integrity in our country. What a disgrace.

2. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

That was the most biased, unethical piece of crap I have ever seen in my life. I expect that sort of garbage from Fox, I didn't realize ABC had gotten that low. I'm so glad they covered the important issues like flag pins, pastors, and bitter people, rather than all of those non-issues like the Iraq war, economic crisis and failing healthcare system that people seem to care about for some unknown reason :rolleyes: I don't know how anyone at ABC thought having the debate moderated by a former Clinton administration staffer could be considered anything remotely close to journalistic integrity.

3. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Yea... the debate was meh. I kept reverting me eyes back to my Macbook's screen rather than the TV. Seriously, I couldn't believed they asked the flag pin question. :rolleyes:

I liked the crowd boo-ing towards the end though, I LOL'ed.

4. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I came in after the first hour and at that point Obama seemed to have lost all concentration, stumbling over words and unable to defend himself. I'm not sure what to make of it. At the time I was thinking that perhaps after all these stupid tabloid stories about him and his pastor, he'd lost some of his sure footing. Hillary won the debate on style and she really does have a knack of making a whole lot of nothing sound like a whole lotta something. I don't follow elections that closely, but I was surprised tonight that Obama is the one who gets the hollow suit label. But then, this campaign has been on the other side of the looking glass since Iowa. A pastor tells the truth about post-war American foreign policy, not even his words, and then gets lambasted for it; Obama associates with a former radical who is by no means intellectually bankrupt and gets lambasted for it etc. I'm sure the same has marked Hillary's campaign - though the Bosnia thing was the strangest example of machismo I've seen in a long time.

I did think that having George whathisname as a moderator was beyond dumb.

5. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

the first hour was a complete waste of time. they discussed things that were totally non issue to me. they talked about hillary's bosnia story and rev wright.

but i think hillary came out on top because she took a risk with a one liner and it paid off. we all know the last one liner she tried didn't work out (ie xeroxing ). but the little thing she said about republicans apologizing for Bush and not running a candidate worked out for her

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

A lot of this stuff, if one ignores the actual importance--or lack thereof--to the questions, can be illustrative of the individual's character and the ability to handle pressure and awkward BS and suchlike.

As far as actual questions, I'd like to see the responses as to which way they think the Fed should set interest rates, and the reasons they have for their opinions.

I'd like to hear their opinions on what parts of the private sector seem to show the most promise for future job growth, and why they think so.

We already know they're arrogant rich folks, and lie like dogs. Enough of that, already...

'Rat

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

14,000 negative comments of the debate link

What was Obama's response to the flag pin question anyway?

8. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think you stated my feelings pretty well. I almost got the feeling that the mods were hoping to get a nasty exchange going between Hillary and Barack.

9. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

We've had 21 debates (well, 20, if you don't count last night's poor excuse for ethical journalism). Why the hell do we need any more?

11. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

And we all know that only the big states matter so with PA out of the way next week there's no reason to debate since there aren't any important states left. Maybe NC, but Obama is leading in the polls there so it can't be an important state.

12. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

if they're anything like that was last night, i agree with him 100%. i don't think your summary of that article is accurate or fair, and reeks of everything that is wrong with hillary clinton's campaign.

13. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

You must be new around these parts ;) None of his posts have been accurate or fair, and he turns anything he can into an attack against Obama.

14. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

Interesting, if unscientific, poll from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette:

Did the presidential debate help you decide how to vote?

A. Clinton convinced me to vote for her. - 413 (18%)
    B. Obama convinced me to vote for him. - 937 (41%)
    C. I'm still undecided. - 95 (4%)
    D. I had already picked my candidate and nothing will sway me. - 552 (24%)
    E. I watched the Penguins playoff game. - 226 (10%)
    F. I couldn't miss American Idol. - 23 (1%)
    G. What election? - 41 (2%)

Reaction seems to be pretty negative across the board. Rumor has it ABC will/has addressed the reaction on World News Tonight.

15. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Well, they did, and I hope that Charlie and George -- as well as the rest of the media -- have learned something about the superficial way they're covering this election.

But I doubt it.

16. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Anyone know what the reaction was for those of us who decided to watch better things than WNT?

17. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I agree. The first hour was nothing but stupid questions that have been beaten to death already. The second hour, although still not very interesting, atleast added a bit more to the debate.

18. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

well, lasts night's debate was a piece of crap. there are some issues that have not been talked about in a long time.
    1. education, especially because its so important and so overlooked.
    2. social security
    3. immigration/border security
    4. opportunity for rural america

and there are still states that have not voted. so it's a chance to see where the candidates disagree and how their administrations would differ.
    last night's debate does not count, i think we all agree.

oh god here we go with this argument about polls.
    polls used to say obama was leading mccain nationally, that lead is gone and i've already posted a link for that.
    polls said hillary would lose New Hampshire by ten points. polls say a lot of things. also keep in mind they dont vote for 3 weeks. polls change!

i think the reason is that when they debate it becomes more and more clear that hillary is much more prepared to be commander in cheif. he doesn't want to talk about issues because her positions are stronger. he wants to give speeches about opposing the iraq war from the start. i think this proves that he is ducking debates.

edit : one thing you have to understand about polls is that alot of voters make up their mind 2-3 days before voting day or just as they are walking into the booth. ---that's why you see 2-3 new ads each released the weekend before an election from both sides--- so polls from two or three weeks before are not etched in stone.
    be watching for new ads this weekend.

19. trebblekicked thread starter macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

The video segment is included in this HuffPost article:

Link

If you look at the actual comments section (obeygiant linked to it earlier), seems like the comments in favor of the debate were largely drowned out by complaints (newsweek pegged a sample at 8-1 against). Naturally, this isn't expressed as plainly in the piece. I'd call it a fluff response; hardly an apology, hardly addressing the issue. They simply say "People didn't like it, but some people did" and that's that.

By and large, I'd add, the comments in favor of the debate were framed thusly:

"If Obama can't handle it now..."

and

"Finally, somebody holds Obama's feet to the fire"

and

"Does Obama need his pillow fluffed now?" (all paraphrased)

In other words, aside from people who wanted to see Obama squirm, be they Clinton or McCain supporters, there were few pleased viewers.

20. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

ducking debates? THEY'VE HAD TWENTY-ONE DEBATES! They're just a waste f time.

And how is Hillary much more prepared to be commander in chief? She's ran a horrible campaign. She was supposed to have the nomination locked up by New Hampshire.

These campaigns have been the biggest things by far that each candidate have run, and Obama has done a hell of a lot better at running his campaign than Hillary has run her campaign.

21. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

you could make the same argument for campaigning. they've been doing it for 15 months now! why the hell do they need to do it anymore?!

debates are not a waste of time as long as they're talking about issues (ie not last night's debate). like what is obama's stance on education? you probably dont even know off the top of your head because its not something that gets talked about a lot. that's why we need more debates that focus on those issues and keep in mind we've only had about 4 with only those two.
    the nbc debates were very substantive.

obama knows when debates happen, he's going to have hillary throw a hardball at him and he's not prepared to take them.
    hillary successfully ran so much more when she was first lady. she wasn't just the president's wife.
    when the campaigns are over and the speeches are done and all the rallies are behind us all we're going to be left with is the decision that we've made.

edit: because campaigning is just rhetoric. substantive debates are worth a lot more than campaigning. the people deserve to hear as much substantive debating as possible. and when you say "no more debates" that's like saying "i really dont want to go into the gauntlet where i'm going to have to answer tough questions"

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Wait there was a debate? I can't be bothered to watch any of them. All they are is lip service.

23. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

What exactly did she run so well as first lady? Please provide links to back up the assertions.

And please do not mention her healthcare plan. It was a mess and soundly defeated, so I wouldn't consider it a managerial success.

24. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

If you and Hillary would step out of her massive reality distortion field, the campaign would already be over because Obama is going to be the nominee.

Debates are a waste of time. Nobody ****ing watches them anyways.

25. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five