Read through whole message thread.

Discussion in 'iOS 11' started by The Tos, Oct 5, 2017.

1. The Tos macrumors 6502a

Hello All, is there an easier way to read through a whole message thread besides painfully scrolling back for hours. I have a particular thread going for over a year that I would like to go back through... is there an easy way to access after a backup is done?

2. gwhizkids macrumors 601

gwhizkids

Are you talking about a thread in Messages or here in the MacRumors forums?

3. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

Im sorry, a thread within messages.

4. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

5. macfacts macrumors 68040

macfacts

What is the actual problem? Slow scrolling?

6. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

its about 3 years of messages that I would need to scroll back through to get to the beginning. Would take forever to scroll back.

7. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

With the search bar, search for a message from several years ago. Everything below it will already be loaded. At least, that works for me.

8. The Tos thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am not looking for something specific, just want to read through it all.

9. Paddle1 macrumors 68040

I know, if for example you searched and found the very first message you would be able to do what you want without having to scroll up first. The problem is that it can be easier said than done. What you could do is find any message much closer to the beginning and start scrolling up from there.

Also if you didn't know you can tap the clock to scroll to the top automatically.

10. tromboneaholic Suspended

tromboneaholic

“I think the best way to tell the story is by starting at the end, briefly, then going back to the beginning, and then periodically returning to the end, maybe giving different characters' perspectives throughout. Just to give it a bit of dynamism, otherwise it's just sort of a linear story. “

11. viperGTS macrumors 68000

There's no easy way to do this on the device as far as I'm aware, but using a program like iBackupBot lets you do it easily on a computer. You can export your Messages in HTML (among other formats), open them within a browser, and scroll all the way to the beginning.

12. simonmet macrumors 68020

simonmet

PhoneView is another app that lets you export message threads.

13. Tozovac macrumors 65816

Tozovac

I use iMazing, it costs $ but works well for this, as well as ability to export messages as PDFs (the entire conversation) or export just the photos/attachments in a message thread. Why this has not a base feature in OS is astounding. Guess Apple felt is was more helpful for the consumer to dedicate engineers for more dancing poop emojis and unnecessarily confusing reinvention iterations of iTunes for OS and the iOS11 podcast app.