Reading List

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by mcrain, Aug 23, 2011.

1. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

2. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the B&N I question as being really that good. Sarah one well she is full of it.

The Bush one I would say would be true but from what I know about Bush he was a very avide reader and those list seem to fit with his taste. He did read the bible. Of those things I honestly find the WSJ one to be the most truthful.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Yeah, but as an Obama supporter, I still find his reading list to be total BS. That being said, those on the right act like they can't read the back of a cereal box.

5. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

At least Obama probably understands what he reads...

6. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Does President Obama have time to read all those books? :confused:

7. IntelliUser macrumors 6502

Only while he's waiting for the Republicans in Congress to submit a jobs bill.

8. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

That's my point exactly!!! It's one thing to be intellectually curious, and I know some people read a lot more than I do, and I also know that I could read more if I dedicated the time to it... but that reading list for a week long vacation is absurd/unbelievable/unrealistic.

9. Daffodil macrumors 6502

Daffodil

Poor Obama! Moby Dick is a ridiculously long and pedantic book with all the chapters on whaling in between, and a storyline that drags on and on and on... I consider myself an avid reader (although perhaps less so in latter years since real life has left me without adequate time to devote to reading), but that was one tome I simply gave up on about halfway through.

10. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

I don't know five books in 10 days seems realistic if you're a fast reader. The Bayou Trilogy is only about 500 pages and Warmth of Other Suns is under 600.

The average reading speed is 200 words per minute, but a small percentage reads much faster at speeds of 1200 words per minute.

11. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

12. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If the writing style suits the reader, it's very realistic. I read the first Shannara Trilogy (Sword, Elfstone and Wishsong) in under 2 days. But it took me three months to grind through The Silmarillion. Tolkien's style is difficult (think boring) for me. I've read all of Kurt Vonnegut's novels in under a week. That was a great week.:) I love his writing style.

13. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

As far as I knew, that reading list was for the whole of his presidency not a week's vacation. :rolleyes:

14. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Moby Dick actually is a great book, despite the fact that it was required reading in high school for you. Try it again some time.

As for Rove, President George W. Bush, and President Obama: hard to say how careful their reading was and is, given the time crunch of governing, but, at least they could/can clearly read, understand, and remember the titles. Even Michele Bachmann clearly reads, even if she mixes everything up, like, Portsmouth, NH, in 1774 and Massachusetts in 1775-- (she was obviously thrown off by Paul Revere).

After two years, Sarah Palin can only cite this:

"I'm reading the best book right now -- Dean Karnazes's book about being an ultra-marathoner. I read a lot of C.S. Lewis when I want some divine inspiration...I read Newsmax and the Wall Street Journal. I read all of our local papers of course in Alaska because that's where my heart is."

Just think-- she could have been a heartbeat away. But, the web is a good thing -- at least she has access to Newsmax. :rolleyes:

I hate to disrespect Sarah Palin -- she never should have been put in, and kept in, this position, and she clearly doesn't realize how far in over her head she is. Her management should have known better.

15. mcrain thread starter macrumors 68000

mcrain

Oh, I don't know. From what I have heard, she was pretty effective at working with Democrats and independents in Alaska and working for her constituents. It wasn't until she was elevated to VP candidate that her inexperience on a national stage became an issue. After that, she abandoned everything about her that made her effective to pander to the crazies that have taken over the GOP.

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I can understand speed reading to take in information, but especially when reading a good novel, biography, or other story, there's something to be said for absorption. I can read 5 books in 10 days, but it's rare (and only if I'm really bingeing on books) that I can really absorb / process them.

I consider myself to still be an avid reader, and I'm very happy at about 25-30 books a year. I'm not at all convinced that changing that number to 200 or 300 will make me a better person, and I rather suspect it would ruin my reading experience.