Ready for another shutdown in DC? Buckle up!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LizKat, Jul 30, 2015.

1. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Once again the GOP may try to defund Planned Parenthood by tacking language into a spending bill. Let’s see, the last time they tried this was 2011. So now, all recovered from that attempt at political suicide in the year before a presidential election, here they go again.

http://www.politico.com/story/2015/07/government-shut-down-planned-parenthood-120787.html

As usual, the charmless Cruz says he’s willing to shut down government over it. Meanwhile the Dems are saying no way. Nor will the WH sign it. McConnell must be getting really tired of working around Cruz.

Marco Rubio has declined to comment. He sure is trying to thread the needle during the primary season. He and Bush both have the same approach, i.e. let the crazies fill up the quote banks. Smile, shake hands, make fundraising dates.

Meanwhile as the piece in Politico sums it up for the Democrats:

“I’m not going to tell you that there’s logic to what the Republicans” are doing, said Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.). Asked to respond to Republicans’ attempt to force Democrats to defund Planned Parenthood by linking it with a spending bill, she replied: “Not on my watch.”

These guys should all be on vacation; a month without mischief would be nice.

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Don't blame the Republicans for this. Blame the Democrats for refusing to negotiate.

And by negotiate, I mean them not doing exactly what the crazy half of the Republicans want without compromise.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I find the current attacks on Planned Parenthood as yet another example of Republican idiotic - if not to say outright evil - politics.

Lets make this 100% clear: The Hyde Amendment makes it illegal for any Federal funds to be used to provide abortion services. Your Federal tax dollars are not now, and never will be, used to pay for abortions. Regardless of your intellectual, religious, medical, social, or ethical stance on abortion - Federal money is not paying for it.

Furthermore, less than 3% of Planned Parenthood's budget, originating from whatever source, is spent on abortion. The vast, vast majority of Planned Parenthood's services are providing birth control and reproductive health services. Education and treatment for STDs.

That these people would threaten to shut down the Federal Government over this issue is utterly disgraceful.

4. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

Don't people do good old fashion investigations anymore?

No, you shouldn't defund Planned Parenthood over these videos. Yes, you should be concerned about the content of these videos.

Remember when people used to investigate things before they rushed to judgement?

Me neither.

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

That's assuming the fact that Cruz, et al. see this as an actual issue needing proper attention, and not as a quick, cheap way to whip their constituency into a frenzy.

6. AustinIllini macrumors demi-god

AustinIllini

I don't expect those morons to get anything right, and I used to think I liked Rand Paul.

This is garbage. Planned Parenthood should be subject to an investigation. The GOP shouldn't be able to just steamroll them.

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

The thing that gets my goat about all this is that the whole issue came about due to a heavily edited video that doesn't even come close to telling a quarter of the truth. It was a smear campaign against Planned Parenthood. Nothing more. And those who are now threating a government shutdown over it are perfectly aware of this fact.

I won't say that Cruz, Walker, Paul, and the rest of the Tea Party are all stupid people. They're not. Cruz in particular is pretty savvy. But they think we are, and they're not always wrong.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

the stupidity of thinking abortions would stop if they outlawed it. in the 1930s estimates of abortions were 3000,000 to 1.2 million a year. guess what they were illegal.

9. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

It'll put a dent into the practice, but no, it won't stop it entirely. What it'll do is end up costing us more, because we the taxpayers will end up being burdened by treating all the poor, desperate women botching their homegrown DIY abortions.

...and the extra police expenditures from shutting down all the back alley abortion clinics that'll be popping up if this goes through (where there's demand, there's supply after all).

...and the extra prison burden because we've now made another action illegal, and thus we'll be jailing even more people for extended amounts of time.

...and so on and so on.

10. stroked Suspended

stroked

With that logic, we should do away with all laws.

11. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

I don't think it will slow down because birth control access will drop dramatically and we all know what that causes to happen.

12. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

with that logic it shows making it illegal will not stop it. the whole reason republicans want to ban abortion is to stop it. but it does not stop it it actually increases. So if republicans made abortion legal they would do the opposite of protecting the unborn and women in general abortions would increase and more women will die. So in reality they just want to feel good about banning it even though it will not accomplish whether wish. wanting a cake and eating it too.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

14. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

15. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Great, we need more "shut downs" which "shut down" everything, but essential services. By that logic the non-essential services should always be shut down.. you know.. save the taxpayers the $.

PP should not get a penny of taxpayer money. PP was started by a racist eugenicist. I can't wait for the other videos to be released. Despite the ordered block, I hope they use some foreign server and blame it on a glitch. ;)

16. vrDrew macrumors 65816

More idiocy.

If poor women
    have children they don't If they don't want, and end up on welfare - do you think thats going to save the Government money? If poor women get improper prenatal care, and end up with complicated deliveries, or children with birth defects, its going to cost the Government money.

How much do you think it costs to send each extra kid to Special Education because Republican geniuses like you wanted to save the couple of hundred dollars it would have cost to support Planned Parenthood services?

In every country, and every economy on earth - one of the keys to economic development and growth has been letting women won control their reproductive destiny. It allows women to finish school; and choose to marry and start a family at a time when they can economically afford it.

The United States has an infant mortality rate that is a national disgrace. We rank last - last - among economically developed nations. 27th, behind Slovakia and Greece.

And where do you think we'd be if idiots like today's Republicans got their wish and defunded Planned Parenthood - or repealed the ACA?

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Noticed that PP being caught on video talking about selling abortion organs hasn't been brought up in this thread. Didn't wonder why.

I don't care if someone wants to get an abortion, but tax money shouldn't prop up an organization that is going to peddle it. Dems will say no money goes to abortions, but this is really just a shuffling game.

I do think abortions have been marketed as an easy out from responsibility to minority communities.

18. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

So let's put those responsible in prison.

19. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

That has absolutely ZERO to do with what PP represents today.

20. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

Whites still have more abortions then other races. Anyone that pays taxes can make a claim about taxes going to something they don't approve of, it's a moot argument. Majority of PP services go to everything but abortions and tax dollars don't pay for abortions.

21. vrDrew macrumors 65816

George Washington and Thomas Jefferson owned slaves. Isaac Newton spent years pursuing alchemy. And Henry Ford was a notorious anti-semite.

By your reasoning, I guess we should boycott Ford dealerships; emigrate to Canada; and give up on the science of physics and higher mathematics.

22. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Maybe because it's legal (passed with both Dem and Rep support) to use fetal tissue for research of the mother agrees.

23. Badagri macrumors 6502

Instant society.

24. LizKat thread starter macrumors 68040

LizKat

The Dems need to allow chiming-in on the show votes, that's all. But they have to hold the line on keeping the language out of amendments to spending bill itself.

Cruz should leave it alone after the show votes, those are all his party needs. Any farther and the benefit starts to accrue to the Democrats. And absolutely he should not be whipping up the House to block funding in the fall votes.

His idea of his own net score, so far, on leveraging up his legislative power in the Senate is a little off from where his colleagues and the leadership see it. He's very smart, but his narcissism does warp his perspective. Some of his proposals may seem much more feasible than they actually are, and some potential retaliations that he's not noticing may be like the proverbial objects viewed from side mirrors, i.e., "closer than they appear."

Cruz risks his future ability to get votes that he may need from his peers, if he's continually messing up their poll standings because of his antics that translate into party damage. He needs a mantra to chill out before he wrecks his career: "the Senate is not the House the Senate is not the House the Senate..."

25. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

They have a huge problem prioritizing the Nation's challenges. Mostly they are motivated by trying gather political power, not solving problems. And not helping their case is to exaggerate and fabricate to substantiate grounds for their objections.