Ready for US$4 a gallon?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xsedrinam, May 7, 2007.

1. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Looks like gas will hit US$4 a gallon this summer. Like it or not, how will you deal with it? Airline costs, too?

Attached Files:

2. Queso macrumors G4

Celebrate that it's come down from the current $7?

3. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I'm lucky. In less than a week now, I'll be moving within 5 minutes of work and school. I'll also be minutes away from a bus line. I'm hardly ever going to drive.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

bring on $10/gallon. heck, i think that's the only thing that'll shock us into changing our wasteful habits. and maybe even encourage us to walk/bike/train a little more.

5. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

That is bound to happen. I remember about 7 years ago when I was in college, there was talk of how all the petrolium resources would be gone by 2040. Given the spike in population, war, whathave you, there is no reason to believe that we haven't bumped that up by about 20 years.

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

7. pianodude123 macrumors 6502a

pianodude123

I think its pathetic that this country doesnt do something else about alternative energy. Did you know that in 50 minutes, the Sun puts enough energy on the earth to last humans a full year? If we could set up 10 square miles of solar panels in Arizona desert... all of the US's power demands would be met?

ALSO! We need to do something about devoting more resources to hydrogen powered vehicles! Fill your car up with water... and go!

There is too much propaganda with the Oil companies chugging money into the government.

8. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

I have seen several gas stations that top out at $4.00 a gallon. I saw this coming awhile ago

9. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

As an Arizonan, I'm all for the idea. Trust me, you wouldn't be missing much if those solar panels were set up.

10. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

You can't fill up you car with water. You will have to fill up with hydrogen, which is A). Expensive to purify B). Requires a new method of burning the hydrogen and actually using it. C).Explosive, so you'll have to find a way to keep the thing from expoding and making your car trip to the store look like the Hindenberg.

What is promising about H2-powered cars is that the output is water and CO2.

11. Thanatoast macrumors 6502a

Thanatoast

Sold my car 3 months ago and started taking the light rail. But I only got to do that because I happen to live and work near train stations. Other people aren't as lucky (or don't plan as well).

12. Turkish macrumors 6502

I live three miles away from work and my car gets 30 in the city, so I'm not too worried.

*points and laughs at SUV owners* :D :p

13. pdham macrumors member

I second that notion.

The only problem is in most urban areas there is a lack of reliable, predictable transportation that connects low-income neighborhoods with the jobs they work at (read low-wage jobs). That is why many low-income familes must own and operate a car, which already consumers most of their income. Expansive gas may cripple these families.

That being said, I agree with zim completely, I don't see any other way to break our wasteful habits.

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I don't see the problem... the gas prices here in Norway has been over NOK 12 per litre regularly and today I saw it at NOK 12.15 many places. That it about $7.70.

I wish it was about double that...

15. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And what do those of us with a 20 mile commute to work with absolutely no form of public transportation available do?

Maybe for some, not having a car works out great, but for the rest of us who need a car, $10/gallon sucks.

16. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

I easily see this hurting me very badly but unfortunitly I don't think it will really affect the automakers, oil drillers, auto lobyists, and a few stupid congress-persons. I really wish that there were very, very good MPG small cars (the kind that Europe has) here in the States.

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

it would be pretty disastrous to hit $10/gal quickly. look, the warning signs have been here for years, such that nearly 9 years ago i bought a high-mileage diesel.

given a slow enough increase, such as we've been seeing, there's ample opportunity for individuals to buy a high-mileage car. i tend to keep my cars a long time, but a lot of people don't (dunno about you).

and some wise federal action would result in increased public trans: trains / light rail where it's dense enough, busses and shuttles in other areas.

the big problem is that we've been a car culture for 5 decades now, and the manner in which the suburbs and exurbs have expanded reflects that. yeah, changing from a car-based culture and living patterns will be painfully difficult, but it's going to happen sooner or later. i vote for sooner, so we can stop this idiotic pattern of wiping out cornfields to build mcmansions that require insane amounts of infrastructure to support such a low-density.

like it or not, cities, with its high density and ample public trans, are in fact the answer.

18. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

This is the typical misinformation that gets thrown around. One would have thought general knowledge would have caught up to fact by now.

OMG, Hydrogen . . . EXPLOSIVE . . . Hinden-freakin-berg

Last time I checked they weren't exactly putting out fires with gasoline.

19. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

What do other people around the world pay for gas..

this is the most recent i could find.

20. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

doink

21. pdham macrumors member

What is dangerous about Hydrogen power cars is that because it is such a diffuse gas, great preasure is required to condense it to a point that would make it practicle (at uncompressed state the tank you have to be something like 7 times bigger than gasoline tanks to get the same milage between fills).

A great book I read on the future of hydrogen power cars is:
    The Hype about Hydrogen: Fact and Fiction in the Race to Save the Climate
    by Joseph J. Romm (Author)

It laid out the real challenges a hydrogen economy (in aprticular auto) would face. The most discourage point he made was that the real potential in hydrogen is in stationary reformers powering buildings. But, because our government threw money into hydrogen as the alternative to gas powered cars, we are now years (if not decades) behind in stationary hydrogen reformers.

22. shecky Guest

shecky

starting the 2nd week of june i get to bus/bike to work.

thank freaking god.

23. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

Please dont let this thread deteriorate into another EU vs the USA.

Everyone needs to know, and probably does, that the avg american does NOT have access to public transportation, nor do they live within walking/biking/bussing distance of their job.

A typical american drives 12,000 miles, a year, and thats only to go to and from work and the grocery store.

The reason people in the US complain about high gas prices, is, because to us, it IS high. Maybe not to you in the EU, but here, $4+ is expensive. Cost of living is cost of living and I assume that if it costs $6US a gallon somewhere, that country's minimum wage is higher than $5.50/hr

24. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

and this is what bugs me and makes me such an urban-snob: no one (at least no one living in the country) should have to drive to get to a grocery store, they should be w/in walking distance.

i live < 5 minute walk to my local supermarket, and this afternoon i'm walking the 1 1/2 miles or so to get to the Whole Foods and my butcher. when i don't have time to walk down there, i take the bus.

living in the suburbs or exurbs w/o food w/in walking distance is madness, imho.

25. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Don't bet money on that!

I really hate to find myself agreeing with the lot of you, but there are definitely benefits of higher fuel costs. Like I've said before, there are legitimate needs and uses for SUV sized vehicles, but I think they are far fewer than what are driving around. I have my large vehicles for when I take the fam out, but I normally drive my little Imprezza and I'm sick and tired of almost being killed by people driving aircraft carriers - alone - while talking on cell phones, diddling with the stereo or whatever and then blow through red lights. This ain't just the Escalades eithers. I'm talking about the people lurching around in 70's era Caddies and Buick 225s too.

Anyway, I'm still steamed about being laughed out some dealerships this weekend when I asked when they were coming out with diesel powered wagons the size of my Subaru. I mean the new Mercedes E series diesel gets 35 MPG, but it's a sedan! Why can't I get a smaller car with that type of mileage? Mercedes does claim that they may put the new powerplant in their wagon though if I'm willing to pony up $55K+, but it won't be this year.

GM? Ford? Want to turn around your bottom line? Produce something that competes with the Mercedes E series sized car with 35MPG, but about $15-20K cheaper and you will sell more cars than you can produce.