Ready to buy a new iMac, but I need your help on external screen sizes

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by motomac, Oct 23, 2007.

1. motomac macrumors member

Hey guys. I was all set to buy a 24" 2.4Ghz iMac when I realized maybe I should get a 20" 2.4 iMac instead and use the extra dough (plus some extra obviously) and buy a nice 19-23" external display and hook it up using the miniDVI connection. Has anyone done this and had it turn out ok? I'm thinking i'll want two screens because im about to start doing some HDV editing.

I heard that since both the 20 and 24" imacs have the same graphics card and GPU, the 24" has to work a little harder to fill the screen since its bigger. But then there are those that say the 20" has a cheaper LCD, and that its best to get the 24" version. I would think if I added an extra flat panel LCD monitor to the 24", the graphics card would have to double-time-it to keep up.

Am I crazy for thinking this? Or is this a legit argument? I just don't want that buyers remorse thing to hit me. Yuk:(

I am toying with the idea of buying the last gen all-white 24" to avoid the screen problems that seem to be hitting the new aluminum version. ooooo but I would love to take my chances and pickup the new one:rolleyes::D

2. ironsidephoto macrumors member

i have a 2.8 24" (i upgraded the bottom line 24" to the extreme, which for $250 is a very worthwhile investment) and i haven't had any problems with my screen. i don't do a lot of video editing, but i am a photographer and do tons of photo editing (photoshop, the like). i upgraded from a 17" imac to a 24", and i'm loving the screen real estate. if i were you, i'd get a 24" and save up for another display if you decide you need it.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

4. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

If you are going to buy an external, keep an eye on the resolution specs. Many 22" monitors have the same resolution as a smaller 20", meaning that the screen with more real estate has slightly worse image creation..

On the other hand, a 24" Alu iMac paired with the high-end 24" Dell would be nice.

5. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

I'm in the same situation. Was going for the 24 inch now considering getting the 20 inch and then in the future getting another monitor 22/23 inch. I'll use it for graphic/multimedia related work.
    Any advise?

6. SyPhi macrumors newbie

SyPhi

Screen Size

Hi, I bought a new iMac 24"(2.8gHz) and paired it with my old PC Dell 24" screen. Superb! I find the iMac shiny screen provides considerably better contrast and brightness compared to the Dell screen. You can even put different wallpapers on each screen (Mac newbie!) Enjoy!