Ready to buy iMac unsure of graphics

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CTMoore, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CTMoore macrumors member

CTMoore

I've decided that I'd like to buy an iMac, however my biggest concern is what graphics card to go with. I own an xbox 360 so big titles like Bioshock won't be played on this machine. The only titles that I know I WILL be playing are Diablo III and StarCraft II. With that said, should the ATI 256 be enough?

If so, I'd probably go with the 20 inch to save space.

2. savvos macrumors regular

The system requirements for the games has not been finalized yet, but there is a guy from Blizzard who has been posting on the forums. According to him, they are targeting their development, at least for SC2 so that it will run fine on an ATI HD2600. Diablo III should run fine on it, too. Worst-case scenario is that you will need to turn down the graphics a little bit. Blizzard has always been about reaching a large install base and being fun rather than being bleeding edge, anyway.

3. WillMak macrumors 6502a

It'll probably run it, but with most features turned off and at a low resolution. From what I've seen of Diablo III and starcraft it doesn't seem toooo intensive of graphics. With that said, I still think it would be better to get the better video card option for now.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

5. CTMoore thread starter macrumors member

CTMoore

Thank you for the advice.

I'm glad to hear that I should be OK. I remember reading somewhere that Blizzard is good about making there games playable on a wide variety of systems, and Diablo III doesn't look that intense. Also, YouTube has a video of someone playing Crysis on a 24 inch model with the 2600 card.

(Plus I didn't want to drop 2 grand)

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

It will be playable, but don't expect to run it at the native resolution though..