Ready to make the plunge, but 2.16 ghz, or 2.33?

notsam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
27
0
Well, i'm finally getting ready to pick up a 24" iMac (i am currently using a 1.33 ghz g4 power book, and was using one of the first snow globe iMac g4s before that) but I am not sure whether or not it is worht spending the extra few hundred bucks for the 2.33ghz processor. I'll be doing plenty with it (final cut express, audio editing, as well as the day to day stuff and bootcamp) but still, is 2.33 ghz really necessary?
 

yoak

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2004
1,486
42
Oslo, Norway
Personally I dont think so. I just ordered mine. I figured better spend the money on 2 gig of RAM, the faster graphics card and bluethooth mouse and keyboard. I think the RAM will do more than the ghz.
Good luck
 

Queso

Suspended
Mar 4, 2006
11,836
7
Stick with the 2.16GHz and get the video upgrade and some more memory. It will serve you better as time goes on.
 

notsam

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 31, 2005
27
0
Thanks for the advice guys, $2800 later, here's what it looks like:

Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
 

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
137
0
notsam said:
Thanks for the advice guys, $2800 later, here's what it looks like:

Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)

I splurged for the 2.33Ghz... and couldn't be happier... I just knew that at some point down the line, It would bother me... so for my own piece of mind, I figured... whats a few dinners out to get the fastest available :)
 

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
11,832
4,009
Republic of Ukistan
I probably will, too. In a couple of months, it'll be the new "lowest spec", and the 2.16GHz will have disappeared. I'm still not quite decided, though. :rolleyes:
 

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
137
0
mrcammy said:
$250 for 170mHz? No thanks...
I look at it like... $250 for an 11% CPU Speed Increase... absolutely.

However, everyone has different price/pain points... I dropped $215 for dinner on my date last night... so $250 for a CPU isn't really anything.

For others, $250 might be a little more important... so I understand the hesitation...

Of course, it would be NICE if it was more in the $99-$150 range... but if you are willing to pay $150 for an 11% improvement... then the extra is only $100 above what you MIGHT have paid...

I can talk anybody into anything... lol
 

ZoomZoomZoom

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2005
767
0
MacProGuy said:
... I dropped $215 for dinner on my date last night...

I can talk anybody into anything... lol
I can't even talk myself into paying $215 for any sort of 2-person meal. I actually had to talk myself into paying an extra $0.05 per ounce for hot dogs that would fit the bun correctly.

Lucky guy :p

As for the processor, the upgrade might be worth it for the OP. For me, a definite no, as I wouldn't ever use the power unless if I'm gaming - and that's still a rarity, as most games are GPU-bound. But if I did have to use that much power for important uses such as work, then maybe.
 

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
618
17
The impression I get is that the 2.33Ghz is the worst value option apart from the 3Gb RAM.

That's whay I got a 2.33/2Gb/500Gb/7600...

David
 

mrcammy

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2006
42
0
MacProGuy said:
I look at it like... $250 for an 11% CPU Speed Increase... absolutely.

However, everyone has different price/pain points... I dropped $215 for dinner on my date last night... so $250 for a CPU isn't really anything.

For others, $250 might be a little more important... so I understand the hesitation...

Of course, it would be NICE if it was more in the $99-$150 range... but if you are willing to pay $150 for an 11% improvement... then the extra is only $100 above what you MIGHT have paid...

I can talk anybody into anything... lol
Actually it's more like 8%, but I know where you're comming from - I've blown far more for far less in the past...
 

generik

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
notsam said:
Thanks for the advice guys, $2800 later, here's what it looks like:

Final Cut Express HD preinstalled
NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GT 256MB SDRAM
500GB Serial ATA Drive
2GB 667 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x1GB
2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
SuperDrive 8X (DVD+R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
Actually at $2.8K I'd go the Mac Pro route... you may argue that a display costs heaps but I can always make do for the time being with a smaller Dell Ultrasharp, or even a Chimei 22" LCD for $350+, I will have way more expandability down the road and even the possibility of swopping in Quad core Clovertowns in the future to make it a Octo core workstation.

Sorry, I just cannot justify paying > $1.5K for an "All in one" computer, to me these are just toys, and not real computers.
 

orangezorki

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
618
17
skunk said:
So you got the second worst value option because?
Because I selected all the better value options, and the 2.33Ghz was next in order, and I could afford it!

David
 

Clydefrog

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2006
593
0
Pittsburgh,PA
generik said:
Actually at $2.8K I'd go the Mac Pro route... you may argue that a display costs heaps but I can always make do for the time being with a smaller Dell Ultrasharp, or even a Chimei 22" LCD for $350+, I will have way more expandability down the road and even the possibility of swopping in Quad core Clovertowns in the future to make it a Octo core workstation.

Sorry, I just cannot justify paying > $1.5K for an "All in one" computer, to me these are just toys, and not real computers.

yeah agreed i just would have bit the bullet i went with mac pro
 

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
137
0
Clydefrog said:
yeah agreed i just would have bit the bullet i went with mac pro

Yep. But here's the problem. It's not a matter of $2800 for the iMac and $2499 for the Mac Pro.

To get similar performance from the Mac Pro, you'd have to configure it to the tune of $4100 including monitor.

Personally, I swap computers WAYYYYY Too often to spend the money.

RAM is super-expensive on the Mac Pros, the Monitor is pricey, and... quite honestly... Mac's will retain 65-75% of their resale value on Ebay, so... when they come out with something bigger and better in the future, I can still get it by selling this one online :)
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
ZoomZoomZoom said:
I can't even talk myself into paying $215 for any sort of 2-person meal. I actually had to talk myself into paying an extra $0.05 per ounce for hot dogs that would fit the bun correctly.
that is hilarious! :D
 

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
12,580
1,186
I don't think the 2.33 is "worth it"... but I ordered it anyway, because it seems virtually certain not to be upgradable. So I went for the little extra boost from the start.

A similar Mac Pro + 24" screen would have cost a good $800+ more... and while it would have had QUAD processors and more expandability, it would have lacked the Apple Remote. On a daily basis, that remote will improve my life more than quad Xeons :)

(A similar Dell, FWIW, would have cost around $300 more than the iMac, and would have been a big tower spouting cables all over.)
 

MacProGuy

macrumors regular
Aug 16, 2006
137
0
nagromme said:
I don't think the 2.33 is "worth it"... but I ordered it anyway, because it seems virtually certain not to be upgradable. So I went for the little extra boost from the start.

A similar Mac Pro + 24" screen would have cost a good $800+ more... and while it would have had QUAD processors and more expandability, it would have lacked the Apple Remote. On a daily basis, that remote will improve my life more than quad Xeons :)

(A similar Dell, FWIW, would have cost around $300 more than the iMac, and would have been a big tower spouting cables all over.)

Not to mention have sounded like a magnificent jet engine at takeoff, I'm sure :)) Lots of loud, noisy fans...