Ready to upgrade ram on 27" iMac questions for someone who's been through the process

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Charliebird, Mar 10, 2010.

1. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

After many trials and tribulations, I finally have a keeper 27” iMac i5. I’ve ordered an extra 4Gb of ram and I have few questions about the upgrade process. Does the ram slide straight in or is it the kind you put in at an angle and push down to lock? How much force does it take to click the ram in? Do I really need to flip the machine over onto its face or can I tilt it back to access the ram slots? Any advice is appreciated since this is my last big hurtle. :eek:

2. Tweak3D macrumors regular

you remove the plate and pop out the plastic pull tabs. The Ram should go straight in. On my I7 it needs a good amount of force but it should be obvious that it is in all the way as the sticks should be flush with the factory sticks that you are leaving in. Takes like 5 minutes even if you don't know what you are doing.

Edit: I didn't flip my machine over, shut it off, unplugged it, and tilted the screen back. Might have been easier to lay it down or something but not worth IMO.

3. plasticphyte macrumors 6502

I didn't lay mine on the face as per instructions, I just tilted mine back. It does however take some force to lock them in (did for me anyway).

4. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

5. frankandsteph macrumors newbie

6. iSee macrumors 68040

iSee

It's pretty tight in there. I'm not sure how much room the heat sinks on those take, but I'd guess they will not fit. If they do, they might actually block air flow -- maybe hurting more than they help. But I haven't tried it, so maybe someone who's tried it could comment...

7. Shawny D macrumors member

Shawny D

8. kwaidan macrumors newbie

Thanks for the youtube link, was what i needed in order to be able to order 4gig ekstra memory for mine, wasnt sure how to do it so wouldnt waste money and time on something i may not be able do my self.

9. mystikjoe macrumors regular

they are very tight i actually used alot of force to get them to slide into place on my new i7. my old i5 was alot easier. just make sure they are in all the way or you could fry the ram! :(

10. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

would removing the heatsinks on those kingston ram modules on my link be a bad idea? They were the only 10666 modules I could find with a cas latency of 7, and I would love to have the fastest possible ram the computer would allow. Plus they're a good deal!