Reagan may have had alzheimers while in office.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by StruckANerve, Jan 15, 2011.

1. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

From everything I've read about him this really isn't surprising. It seemed he was more of a talking head in the later years than an actual leader. Good at emotional speeches, even if based on little more than pure rhetoric, but seemingly dangerously misinformed on policy (take a look at the hilarious/terrifying "Star Wars" program that would never have worked).

3. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Also not surprised.

Spokesman-in-chief.

Attached Files:

4. 184550 Guest

Back in November on Election Night on CNN, they had a couple of Democratic and Republican strategists doing commentary and they got off on a tangent about the 2012 Presidential race.

One of the Republican commentators mentioned that the RNC likely wouldn't let Palin be the nominee because she had too much of a 'Star' quality about her now.

It seems they've already forgotten about Reagan.

5. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Forgetfulness seem to swirl around the man, infecting even innocent bystanders.

6. Kauai macrumors 6502a

"Trees cause more pollution than automobiles do." -- Ronald Reagan, 1981

7. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It seems like the more reading I do on Reagan the more and more confused I become with the saint like worship of him I've seen far too much in person and the media.

8. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Love (as in worship) requires that we overlook the shortcomings of the object of our affection. Reagan-worship can only exist in conjunction with halcyon ignorance and forgetfulness.

9. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

Gee, you think?? :)

I don't recall has a whole new meaning.

As for presidents being puppets, that sounds about right. Congress has more power and has the luxury of not having one person that could be blamed. If there's anything that Clinton, W, and Obama could have learned from Reagan is that he learned how to work with a Democratic Congress (opposing party Congress) out of necessity.

Not being a politician, or lawyer/MBA is what is more amazing about Reagan's innate ability to realize what side of the bread was buttered.

That being said, I'm a liberal but nobody can take away the fact that at lot of Democrats in Congress had respect for Reagan's ability to compromise. Even if he had dementia while in office, he did a far better job than W. I don't know what juniors excuse is.

10. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

I have heard that heavy alcohol and drug use can cause the maturing process to stall out. A 20 y/o is not suitably mature enough for the oval office. W's emotional age never showed signs of passing teenage level. I could be wrong, but I believe there is little doubt about his wastoid youth — one can certainly reform, but there is not much evidence to suggest that the maturity thing cannot be fully acquired in later years.

11. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I have felt this way for a while. If you look at his earlier speeches and compared them to his later ones, you can see an unusual difference in vocabulary usage, pauses, grammar, and what not. Whether you did or did not like him as a leader, it is awful what he and his family had to go through and it is awful for anyone that suffers or knows someone who suffers from regressive memory loss diseases.

12. redshift1 macrumors regular

Conservative site's are strangely sensitive and resolute in denying any type of reduced mental capacity of Reagan while in office. Also as I remember post presidential access to Reagan was curtailed which makes you wonder about his mental state.

The ever lovable Mark Levin yesterday claimed that multiple doctors found no sign of Alzheimer's .. given what we all recall I can only guess they were looking for it in earnest.

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I recall hearing that Reagan was having trouble with names and topics during meetings in his later years. I'm not sure where I picked that up, though. Not surprised to read this now. Whether or not he had any cognitive loss while he was president, I cringe when I hear the Reagan obsessed conservatives flap their gums about how great he was.

14. dscuber9000 macrumors 6502a

I remember watching Capitalism: A Love Story and it shows Reagan making a speech, then someone whispers to him to wrap it up and Reagan just says, "Oh..." in just a very Alzheimers-like way.

Everyone seems to dismiss the possibility that he may have had it during his presidency... but I think more out of forced disbelief than anything else.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Well put together piece. The comments on the bottom, however, are not so enlightened....

"Ron Reagan is a Fagot

The Black Sheep of the Reagan family. He should focus on being the ballerina that he is. "

" P.O.S.

Ron Reagan Jr. is a worthless loser and an ungrateful piece of ****, at that...just another degenerate liberal desperate for a paycheck because he has NO other marketable skill...period."

16. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I forget, what made Reagan such a good president?

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

History revisionists.

18. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I'm not surprised. My parents have thought/assumed he had Alzheimer's since midway through his presidency.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Perhaps most people remember that they had things pretty good during his reign?

Such things go a long way.

One saying I like to champion is "Are you better now than you were 10 years ago?"

Of course, I don't think the current crop of "leaders" like that type of thinking.

20. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

I can't recall. ;)

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Who the hell is he?

22. takao macrumors 68040

takao

ironically, despite all the sabre rattling and wunderwaffen pentagon spending, his attitude towards prefering diplomacy and not going to war unless in defense.

quite the polar opposite to the wolfowitz/ bush doctrine of "unilateralism" and "preemtive strikes"

23. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Probably because we were all stoned to the gills at the time. Which is in fact probably what made him such a great president. I mean, the price of everything else went up while he was in office, but weed, coke, sugar and all that stayed the same.

24. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Reagan helped bring an end to the cold war, and he made a speech at the Berlin Wall that was a milestone in his presidency.