Reagan/Obama advisor suggests implementing Value-Added Tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kavika411, Apr 7, 2010.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Full article:

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503983_162-20001918-503983.html

I'm interested in what people in other parts of the world that have a VAT tax think.

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Well it has advantages. The Economist thinks it doesn't distort the economy much - whether they are right is a difficult question.

The real win is to get taxes included in the price as happens practically everywhere else in the world.

3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

so an additional tax ontop of the taxes we already have on goods? or am i missing the concept?

4. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

This Volcker-described "VAT" tax cannot be implemented since President Obama personally assured every American he would not impose middle-class tax increases...

:D

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How about the government promises to cut the budget by 30%, starting with the military, before talking about a VAT? If you want this economy to heal levying more taxes is the wrong thing to do.

Yes.

6. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I'm all for America getting her fiscal act together but it needs to be attacked on several fronts.

We will need to raise taxes and from what I've read, the VAT is the most broad based, easiest to collect and has checks and balances built into the system. No one wants higher taxes but we have no choice.

Before we raise any taxes, we need to get people back to work and paying taxes. I'm one of those highly skilled, long term unemployed and there are many like me out there. I went from paying close to $40,000 a year in federal taxes for the past 5 years to zero last year.

Cutting spending. Even though entitlements are the majority of the budget, there are tens, maybe hundreds of billions that can be saved. Our military is out of control. We build weapon systems that the branches of our military don't want, we deploy tens of thousands of troops in foreign countries that are completely unnecessary in this day and age. The list goes on and on.

We need laws to stop Congress from the reckless spending that began under Reagan and has continued since. I'd love a constitutional amendment but I don't think it's possible to pass an amendment in this political climate. We need similar laws at all levels of government.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

It helps to have a part-time legislature. :)

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Vote out all of congress would be a good first step, we dont need another tax.

9. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

All we need to do is let the Bush tax cuts expire and bring our boys home. That should fix most of our deficit problems.

10. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

This.

But by home, we should mean ALL of them. Iraq, Afghanistan, Korea, Germany the list goes on.

We have troops in something like 150 COUNTRIES :eek:

What a ****ing bloody waste of money.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

A Value added tax is nothing more than a fancy name for a sales tax. Sales tax are very regressive and tax the poor a larger chunk of their income than the rich.

I do not think we should have a VAT. With a VAT the more you make the less you pay.

12. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

They already are. I shudder to think how ****ed up things would be if they worked full-time.

I posted that last week. Many of those 150 are just a handful guarding embassies. That said, we have substantial numbers in S. Korea, Japan, England, Germany and Italy.

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I find it quite funny that the supposed poor man's party wants to implement a regressive tax... If we are implementing this VAT then we need to get rid of income tax altogether.

14. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Who's this we? Aren't you a Canadian? :D

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Reagan's advisor....

This is more than any one party.

16. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

I'm pretty sure there isn't a federal sales tax right now. Besides, we're going to have to raise taxes unless you want to eliminate Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, the new public option, defense spending, and maybe a couple of other things.

17. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Whoa, when did the public option happen? :confused:

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Not yet. Its going to be nice though. :cool:

Reagan isn't in a place to pass any laws. If Obama is even considering this as an option he can kiss term 2 goodbye.

19. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

All I was getting at was your attempt to make this into yet another Dems/Rep thread.

20. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

I say they should make a new tax...

80% of income on all Dems and Liberals.

20% on all Conservatives. We will supplement by not using the new healthcare plan.

That should make everyone happy. Dems and Liberals think the answer is always tax more and they like the new healthcare... Conservatives like to keep the money we work our butts off for and don't want ObamaCare.

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

That would be illegal, I take it you don't care about the laws of the land?

22. bobertoq macrumors 6502a

Woops, my bad. If you want a public option, you're going to need to raise taxes.

23. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I'll trade you higher taxes for UHC ;)

24. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Forcing people to have healthcare is too but that one went out the window. ;)

25. IntheNet macrumors regular

IntheNet

Actually Obama already implemented a regressive tax that imposed a greater burden (relative to resources) on the poor than on the rich; this was called the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) – one of Barack's first tax (February 4, 2009) imposed on America that is paid for almost exclusively by a cigarette tax that burdens the poor in America far more than the rich.