Reagan To Get Statues In Budapest, London

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by obeygiant, Jun 29, 2011.

1. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

npr

Happy 100th Ronny!

Attached Files:

2. clientsiman macrumors 6502

clientsiman

Well, us Einstein have said : Two Things Are Infinite: the Universe and Human Stupidity.

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Mr. Faisal, tear down this statue!

5. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

I loved his little alien invasion/human race speech. It might have sounded a little odd, but really, it made a helluva lot of sense.

6. Bonch macrumors 6502

Bonch

Our last great president. Since then it's been all downhill.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

What did he do that was great? I'm being serious? List them if you can.

8. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

He was an evil menace in The Killers - 1964 version.

Surprised even me with that performance. ;)

9. macquariumguy macrumors 6502a

10. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

Countdown

Why hasn't this been moved yet...

This. Thread. Is. Why. I. Refuse. To. Visit. PRSI.

11. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Worst president ever. Put our country in debt and made nice with people like Jerry Falwell, who danced on the graves of AIDS victims, all while never lifting a finger to help.

And let's not forget the idiocy that was Reaganomics. It was bad then, now it's an absolute disaster and is killing our country.

I will never forget his reign. It was horrible. This man does not deserve a statue, he deserves to be erased from the history books.

12. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Lol, very good.

Not quite, but almost. GWB would surely surpass him on that scale, I can't imagine anyone giving Calvin Coolidge high marks on any criteria, and there were a number of truly dismal nonentities who filled that office in the latter part of the nineteenth century.

To the OP, agreed. It is an appalling idea to build these statues, the man little deserves it; moreover, it is a little disturbing that many of our comrades/colleagues in the old "Near Abroad" ascribe their current freedoms to that old fraud.

Cheers

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

London one isn't going to last long,my money is on a purple mohican soonish.

14. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Thanks for posting this, obeygiant.

Pity one must visit "New Europe" to find folks who appreciate what RR did for the world.

15. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Please- do tell of Reagan's wonderful accomplishments. And olease don;t try to say he ended the Cold War. It ended because the USSR fell apart, not because of anything he did. Also, Iran/Contra comes to mind. Yep- great guy, that Reagan.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I know we have a lot of lefty liberals here but lets give Reagan credit he starred down the communist, ran them broke because they couldnt keep up with our military and got Mr Gorbachev to tear down that wall! All without firing a shot! He deserves that statue. He also got Iran to return our people again without firing a shot. Lets not be so partisan.:cool:

17. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Yeah, and he ran us broke too. He turned us from the biggest creditor nation in the world to the biggest debtor nation- all in 8 short years. His policies will be the result of our own downfall as well. As for Iran, that was nothing but a big screw you to Carter. After Carter was gone, Iran didn't need to keep our people anymore. They got what they wanted- Carter out of office.

Come on, I lived through those days too. Let's not rewrite history.

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Sounds like you are rewriting the history, he got the statue!

19. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whether or not he gets a statue is irrelevant to the points I made.

20. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

He came across at least to me as that grandpa everyone could trust! just an observation. The republicans today though have very little in common with Reagan. I wonder what the brits loved about him?

21. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

He didn't "stare down" the communists, and nor did he 'get' Mr Gorbachev to 'tear down' the Wall. The "communists" decided (well, some of them did) that they needed to modernise and liberalise their own society and that, in order to do so, they needed to free up resources devoured by the military-industrial complex. Those decisions were Mr Gorbachev's, as was the one to inform the leadership of the then DDR that "history waits for no-one".

It was Mr Gorbachev, not President Reagan, who sought to effect change "without firing a shot".

Re Iran, and the economy, I agree with leekohler; the former was simply to humiliate Jimmy Carter as much as possible; the then Iranian Government wished to assist in that goal, too. Certainly, the timing of the release was at least as significant as the actual release.

And yes, his economic policies left a lot to be desired. As did the fact that a significant number of his administration were enmeshed in scandals such as the Iran-Contra affair. Re foreign affairs, there were the utterly outrageous US interventions in El Salvador and Nicaragua.....

"The brits" didn't love him, far from it. The love, such as it was, emanated from the right wing media, their world, The City, and elements of the Conservative Party, including Mrs Thatcher, who did like Reagan.

No, this man does not deserve a statue anywhere. I must confess that I never cease to be amazed at the blinkered attitude prevalent in parts of the US that seems to suggest that Ronald Reagan merits a large place in posterity, especially on account of the ending of the Cold War. That is to be gulled by your own self-serving myths and propaganda. It is also to miss entirely the dynamic for change that had been brewing quietly in the Soviet Union, and in parts of Eastern Europe, since the late 1960s.

22. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

The only brits who loved him were Thatcherites the vast majority loathed him and still do.I was in NY during his funeral, a display of sentimentalised drivel I've yet to see surpassed (even Diana's exit was less syrupy).A brain dead autocue jockey.

23. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

"Albanian town thanks George W. Bush with statue"

and now it's Bush's turn....."Albanian town thanks George W. Bush with statue"

[​IMG]

has europe gone bonkers for statues of former USA presidents? Who's next? Will we soon being seeing a bronze Jimmy Carter somewhere?

24. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Did Einstein have any quotes on pronoun usage?