Real "4G/LTE"

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GeorgieAcevedo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. GeorgieAcevedo macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

So when the real 4G LTE or whatever it's called becomes available all around or the next iPhone.

Is it supposed to be faster than my high speed Internet at home?

[​IMG]

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4)

Yes. And it on the New iPad now.

3. cynics macrumors G3

Hard to say. The networks will take a major hit once iPhone users jump onto the LTE networks.

This is the best example because my tablet for some reason doesn't let my iPhone use its full LTE speed but this is my iPhone on a LTE wifi hotspot.

[​IMG]

4. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

And what's the full speed when you run the speed test on the tablet ?

5. cube macrumors G5

6. cynics macrumors G3

It varies. But when I took that it was 32 mbs down and 14 mbs up.

7. Shockwave78 macrumors 65816

Shockwave78

i switched from iphones after 4yrs to the Galaxy Nexus in December(just switched back to iphone in march)...

The speeds on 4g LTE were twice as fast as my home comcast..On average with LTE I was getting speeds of 35-40mb down and 12-15mb up :eek:

It was just crazy fast....BUT, there is not a huge difference at all while web browsing. Maybe 25-35% faster at times? But for the most part i visit mobile sites and prefer them over the real sites on my iphone. With mobile sites there is very little difference in loading times.

Streaming video and music there is an obvious advantage.

8. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Huh?

9. bidwalj macrumors 6502a

The benefit of faster speeds is exactly that, streaming and downloading files. For just surfing and normal usage, you don't notice much of a difference.

10. aneftp macrumors 68040

Cable/Fios will always be "faster in real time". Even over crazy LTE 50mpbs that I get on Verizon LTE.

Why? What's real time? Look at the ping times. U will always have that bottle neck in terms of click to page load speed and cable/Fios always guarantees u that lower ping time.

So whole cable Internet may max out at lower speeds over real LTE speeds. It's ping times will always be faster.

For 99% of people. Cable Internet will always be the best option.

Now 4G speeds really kick in after the ping times. So downloading a 5GB file. LTE will beat a normal cable download. The issue is cellular 4G have tiered data for the vast majority of users now.

For day to day browsing cable Internet is the preferred method because of ping times.

Give me low ping times (less than 40ms) and only max cable speeds of 2mpbs. I will take that over LTE speeds of over 50mpbs and ping times over 100ms anytime of day.

Seriously you dont need more than 768kpbs for day to day Internet browsing as long as the ping times are low.

11. b24pgg macrumors 65816

FWIW, I get sub-40ms ping times on Verizon LTE:

[​IMG]

12. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Lte pings aren't that bad. It's about comparable to what I get on my home connection. Heck, even on HSPA+ I've gotten pings as low as 65

13. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

Real protocol for 4G is 100Mbps. When the real 4G arrives you will no longer use DSL/Cable.

14. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

This guy was testing Sprint's LTE and got 40Mbps.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. chdwil macrumors regular

And right now docsis 3.0 (cable) is capable of 150 down and 50 up. It has been limited to about 40 down and 5 up so the cable company can slowly increase it over time. And keep in mind that in many cases the lte is using the cable companies fiber at the cell tower.

16. cube macrumors G5

Real 4G technology should support a peak speed of 100Mbps in vehicles and 1Gbps stationary.

4G is not just a protocol.

17. macingman macrumors 68020

macingman

It should be at first though when everyone gets online and starts downloading it would probably slow down.

I imagine when the iPhone gets LTE there would suddenly be an extra few million LTE devices, will slow down the networks quite abit I think.

18. aneftp macrumors 68040

55% of all Verizon smartphone activation in Q4 2011 were from Apple iPhone.

Expect something similar when sixth generation LTE iPhone is released. Let's see how the network can handle all those new iPhones on the LTE network.

I had a galaxy nexus (Verizon) and pretty much got 20-40 mpbs but iPhone will slow that down.

19. cynics macrumors G3

Wonder if my 3G 4S will get faster. That would be nice. :)

20. GeorgieAcevedo thread starter macrumors 6502a

GeorgieAcevedo

Doubt that lol