Real Housewives of ISIS

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

The BBC has released a new satire show called "The Real Housewives of ISIS". I think it's very well done but some people are complaining about it. Even though it's a serious topic, I found the clip of the show to be very funny and I think it will cut down on the women joining ISIS.

Do you object to this show or would you watch it ?

2. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

3. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't think I'd watch it but the concept makes me laugh. I'm not really a big reality t.v. show person, be it satire or not.

4. cube macrumors G5

5. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Although this is comedy (I think), regarding reality shows, I have become very wary and in some cases disgusted with what passes for reality when it's all scripted. For this you might equate it to running Spring time for Hitler during WWII which would not be funny, I don't think. :p

6. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I feel the same. It's just too far warped from reality to be classified that way. This seems like it would be probably offend a lot of people. Gauging at how everyone gets offended over simple things like the color of a cup, it'd be a mess!

7. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 604

Plutonius

I admit that the subject itself is not humorous but don't you think that mocking satire is an effective tool in fighting recruitment of women by ISIS ?

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Show real ISIS torture and beheading videos, or yesterday's video of little children (ISIS calls them "Cubs of the Caliphate') cutting off a man's head. That might make some people think twice about joining ISIS. Or encourage them, depending on their predilections.

9. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

That's not very PC.

10. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I can't say, don't know how effective it would be for the target audience. They might just view it as scorn being directed at Islam.

As I know from this country, logic in messaging has mixed success. You assume everyone should be logical, or thrive on the truth, but sadly, that's just not how it seems to work. You can logically and truthfully send a message that Trump is a baffoon, and his Trumpets just love him all the more. Either they don't believe it, can't see it, or want someone who will tear down the status quo regardless of the end result. I think the last option is least likely.

11. sim667 macrumors 65816

It is in the UK, where the show is made. Educated people tend to be very in to satire here, and Muslims here also tend to be well educated.

That said, as an attempt at satire, this sketch isn't very good.

12. Gutwrench macrumors 68000

Gutwrench

+1 Lol.

"I would not watch it." Cracked me up. Guess what, you just did.

13. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

But no doubt successful from ISIS' viewpoint, judging by the thousands of European Muslims have made their way to Syria to participate in the festivities.