Real meat grown in a lab

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rafark, Dec 13, 2018.

1. rafark macrumors 6502a

rafark

So exciting, not only will we stop terrorizing innocent animals, our forests will get larger too!

2. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

This is PRSI.

And humans don't have to apologize for being apex predators. None of the other apex predators do.

3. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I fail to understand how one judges the guilt or innocence of an animal, and I doubt that replacing meat from livestock will cause the agribusiness sector to rush out and plant trees on farmland.

However, this *might* be an acceptable alternative for meat. I personally am trying to reduce the amount of meat in my diet, for health, humane and environmental reasons, but in a long list of moral priorities, this ranks rather low. In any case, I'd be more positive about this if they can demonstrate growing meat protein on an industrial scale without causing massive outbreaks of food poisoning. Meat grown in a dish has no immune system and is likely to get infected with E. coli and god-only-knows what else. The same level of concern applies for making sure this artificial meat is free from prions (at least BSE can be detected in livestock by changes in behaviour, but how will we tell for cells grown in a petri dish?). Until artificial meat is thoroughly and properly safety tested, no thank you.

4. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

It's as valid of a topic as any other. The topic would fall under social issues after all.

No other apex predators mass produce their own foods and pollution's from it either. Man does happen to level millions of acres just to produce livestock for consumption.

5. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Different discussion.

We're evolved to eat meat. And, based on where you live, there is enough meat to feed people without destroying forests.

6. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

But it's not a different discussion, it's one of the reasons lab grown meat was created to address the meat industry and it's practices and all the other issues associated to it. It goes to the very heart of why it's even a topic. And it's not based on where you live, your food comes from all over the world. Im not sure where you get the idea that the bulk of the food you eat is locally sourced.

https://bigthink.com/technology-innovation/advent-of-lab-grown-meat

7. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

I feel like you want to improve farm business practices?

I don't know where you live but I have yet to live in a part of the United States that doesn't have access to locally raised meat.

8. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It’s not about apologizing. It’s about smart choices for the species. Raising millions of cows for slaughter is taking a toll on our environment, on us, and wastes resources better used for other purposes.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---
    How is anything grown in a Petri dish without becoming contaminated?

9. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

That's debatable. The arrangement of our teeth more closely match those of herbivores, not predators, and are designed to grind vegetable matter not rip apart meat.

10. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

It's not different, but directly related.

11. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Okay, but it would probably, in a sophisticated society, be easier to regulate more sustainable farming practices.

12. Huntn, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The most eye opening aspect of the video is that lab grown meat is identical at the cellular level to animal flesh.

The point from a purely logic argument, is that although we love beef, raising it harms the environment (clearing Forrest’s along with polluting water sources) , harms us (bad heath and over reliance of antibiotics which leads to super bugs), wastes resources like grain and water, and there are much more efficient sources of protein.

Regarding lab raised meat-like protein, I’d be curious as to how much it costs. One primary aspect of cost, is when you look at beef production, as with many endeavors, destruction of the environment is regarded as a freebie, with those costs not counted as we consume and degrade the environment that surrounds us.

Another point is if it is grown from animal cells, is it healthier? Yes, it might alleviate the antibiotic use issue (maybe), but as mentiined in an earlier post by @VulchR, there could be a concern about biological contamination.

13. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

And yet we have canines which are primarily used to tear meat.

And there aren't a ton (I admit, there are some) sources of complete proteins we digest outside of meat.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 14, 2018 ---
    The solution to these issues is probably still not lab meat.

I don't know that I would count on it being cheap.

14. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

At this point, it’s just a possibility.

15. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

You'd be amazed at what happens when biologists try to culture tissue. Half the time there is contamination and they wind up growing something unrelated to what they thought they were growing. This has had a huge impact on fields such as cancer research. Trust me when I say this has to be tested within an inch of its life for safety

16. Huntn, Dec 14, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2018

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

The video states lab grown meat could produce 96% less water usage and green house gasses.

Another reason to jettison political parties whose attitude is profits over regulation. There are so many examples of regulations being written in blood, yet potential profit is the big magnet that continues to make businesses lose their perspective and priorities, blinded by the glow of gold.

17. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

I'm hardly an expert on these matters and I'm not trying to change how other people live, but to this point - nearly all mammals have canine teeth, and several herbivores such as the hippo and gorilla have rather ferocious ones. So their mere presence doesn't imply we are meant to eat meat.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Canines can pierce vegetable and fruit skins in addition to animal skin, but in any case humans are omnivores and even non-human primates like chimps hunt for meat. I don't think we're meant to eat or not eat meat, but it is clear that many of us do, and meat is an excellent source of protein. If this artificial meat can be manufactured so that it is safe, and if animal-based protein isn't being used to 'feed' the cultured muscle cells, then it might be an ethical alternative to livestock-based meat. However, right now it has all the appeal of Soylent Green, and as much as I love watching deer, I will never give up venison (or salmon, or eggs).

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

meat is not the problem, how many times we eat meat is.............. wish I could try the vegetarian diet that was palatable and that I could make on my own, vegetarian restaurants are NOT cheap and I am hungry 1/2 hour later :(

20. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I wish vegetarian restaurants wouldn't rely so much on onions. I'm not allergic ... lets just say they don't agree with me and can only eat onion in small amounts. :confused: There was a vegetarian place a few blocks south of work that would charge based on plate weight. I could only eat about 5 different offerings at their buffet. :(

Yes we should probably eat less meat, I'm certain our ancestors didn't have that much till recent modern times. I would try this 'cultured' meat... but I'm skeptical.

21. AustinIllini macrumors demi-goddess

AustinIllini

Low hemoglobin runs rampant among vegetarians. They tend to have a problem getting enough iron and supplemental iron isn't as effective.

22. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

My instinct is to say "no way", but then you look at what's in or on just about anything else most people eat, and its like... "eh".

23. dogslobber macrumors 68040

dogslobber

It's not real meat but it is truly disgusting. No way would I eat a steak grown from dirt. Give me a juicy steak from a real cow any day.

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502a

jkcerda

oh please, how many people eat at Panda Xpress and think they are eating chicken?.............

25. yaxomoxay macrumors 68040

yaxomoxay

No way I’d eat there, and I love asian food. If I really have to damage my body, I’ll do it with the truly tasty stuff.