Real reason for moving from iP4 to iP4S?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by BMWNEW, Nov 7, 2011.

?

Is it worth to move from iP4 to iP4S?

Poll closed Jan 6, 2012.
  1. Yeah, of course!

37.4%
  2. Not really, only if switching from an older model

27.5%
  3. Completely not. Apple is kidding us by selling 4S.

5.5%
  4. AGAIN?! Buy what you want when you want!!!

29.7%
  1. BMWNEW macrumors member

Yes, again that...
    So, do you think that there is a really important reason for moving from iPhone 4 to iPhone 4S?

2. eman832 macrumors newbie

Read the reviews, go to a store and use one. Make your own conclusion.

3. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Well

This has been covered to death hare really.....But:

1) The A5 makes the phone MUCH faster

2) The camera is a lot better

3) siri is fun, and quite useful at times.

4. soco, Nov 7, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2011

soco macrumors 68030

soco

The fact that you started your post with "Yes, again that..." tells us that even you know this thread is a bad repeat.

I'm sure you'll soon be able to look below for legitimate responses anyway. :rolleyes:

Edit: And there they are.

5. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Are you asking this for yourself? Isn't it a matter of personal preference? There are a number of differences between the models and, in my opinion, it comes down to what you personally value in a device.

6. andross77 macrumors regular

gaming is a huge reason. the processor is a LOT better than in the ip4 and AMAZINGLY better when it comes to games.

Another reason is the antenna has been improved A LOT! Places that i couldn't quite get reception on my 4 i now have great reception on my 4s. I would actually say having the best antenna out there is the biggest reason to upgrade.

ability to have 64gb space for tons of apps/music/movies

better camera

blahblahblahblah.

if you are the sort of person though that needs everything improved 10 fold, you should hold on to your 4 for about 3 more years and then check back in. Then you will be satisfied.

7. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

8. bp1000 macrumors 65816

Only you can decide if it's worth it

If you have an unlocked phone i would sell it, you won't loose much and pay the difference and get the 4s.

Keeping it simple, if it's unlocked, you might loose about £150 on an unlocked handset, that is easily worth the antenna upgrade, A5 processor, Siri and better camera, easily... imo

But if you on a contract and only have 1 upgrade every 2 years then i wouldn't upgrade through the contract, i would either wait for the iPhone 5 or sell the phone and upgrade that way to an unlocked phone.

9. iKIKO macrumors regular

iKIKO

hi bro, i was on the same road like you, i was thinking of not to upgrade, but i did it anyway and couldnt be happier. its smooth as butter. everything runs with out lag. by the other hand the i4 was starting to lag at some apps. at least mine was. so if you can afford the upgrade, dont think about it and do it.

10. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

My reasons for moving were that I had an extra line eligible for upgrade plus my wife wanted to part with her Windows phone. As a result, I upgraded to the 4S and she is happy with my iPhone 4 that I've only had since 9/11.

11. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Really important to whom?

As other say, examine the feature differences, decide if those differences are beneficial based on your use of the device, and then decide if those benefits are worth the cost.

If the question is, "Is there a Killer Feature in the 4S that makes it universally beneficial to any iPhone 4 user", the answer is no.

My reasons for upgrading: (1) I drive a lot so Siri text/email is beneficial, (2) my iPhone is my primary camera so improvements there will be useful, (3) my wife wants my iPhone 4 so I don't have the inconvenience of having to sell it to recoup costs.

12. Rolvag macrumors regular

Rolvag

The "s" in 4s stands for Spinal Tap

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

I upgrade every year regardless of upgrade status. Siri and especially the updated camera have been worth it without a doubt. Having siri/voice control integrated into the SMS app is great when you are driving. I hardly type a text any more.

14. BMWNEW thread starter macrumors member

Unlocked, no contracts, so it is quite possible to move ;)
    But think a bit. Do you remember June 2010? An iP4 had a killer feature - DISPLAY!
    Are the A5 chip, camera and Siri so important?

Gonna play with them, but I do not have such opportunity to do so, this is why I am asking you.
    Got a chance to buy it in Australia in December (no iP4S's in my native country at all :mad:)

15. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Again, it's a matter of personal preference. Are they "so important" to you? You asking us makes me think those things aren't "so important" to you since if they were you'd just get one without asking. But that's just my take on this.

16. mrJnC macrumors regular

Seriously, the volume does seem to be louder across the board to my ears. It seems like all settings are louder.

I used the iPhone 4 lowest volume setting (1 bar) to screen audio while in a very quiet environment. I was using a very low volume that I only could hear but if someone entered the area, the audio wouldn't disturb them as they would be making more noise than the volume level of the iPhone. Now on the iPhone 4S, the lowest volume setting is about like 2 or 3 bars on the old iPhone 4, which is at times too loud. I've lost my ability to do "stealth" previews in quiet settings.

17. BMWNEW thread starter macrumors member

I could tell you if I used one. But I haven't yet, because I do not have a chance to do so.
    This is why I can't "mark" Siri and A5...

18. r2shyyou macrumors 68000

r2shyyou

Okay. Well, to give you my opinion, if you have the money, do it.

19. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Here is my experience.

- Speaker by dock connector seems a lot louder. At first I thought the otterbox was somehow amplifying it, but even without a case it's still a lot louder than I remember the 4 being.

- Picture quality on camera has greatly improved. Obviously 8MP is just a bigger picture so I'm not talking about that. The quality is amazing. I don't know if it's the extra light it takes in or added lens, but I immediately can tell a difference.

- Siri is my second favorite feature. There are many features that came along (compass, game center, etc..) where it was cool when I first launched, but many never use it. At least not often. Not a day has gone by since I owned my iPhone 4S that I used Siri under 10 times. Probably a lot more.

20. b24pgg macrumors 65816

The differences between iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S are:
    * Siri
    * Processor
    * Camera

It's up to each individual as to whether those differences warrant the cost of an upgrade. IMHO, they do not.

21. i hate phones macrumors 6502a

IMO... if getting the 4s meant i had to use it for 2 years and i had no way of getting the next iphone i would skip it. but i plan to get the next phone and financially it makes no difference either i pay slightly higher or pay an ETF to switch to the next phone or i don't upgrade, pay the fully subsidized price for the next iphone but get less money for my current iphone 4. first option gives me a new phone now :)

22. sentinelsx macrumors 68010

Real reason for moving: because it is just another consumer product and if i want it ill buy it. I don't need to validate it on some internet forums.

You may go buy it now :)

23. sanke1 macrumors 65816

sanke1

The redesigned internals of Home button. Hope it stands the test of time.

24. Obscurelight macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

First of all, this topic has been beaten beyond even death. You yourself must decide if it is worth it or not. Your needs and wants will not correlate perfectly with anyone else's decision.

My own validation for the upgrade is that I was planning a carrier switch, massive improvement in volume, better reception, color swap and last but not least, because I can.

25. Fuchal macrumors 68020

My 2 reasons were:
    • To get off of AT&T
    • I like new shiny things