Real Time Election Day Projections

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Plutonius, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Plutonius macrumors 603

Plutonius

A company plans to publish real time election day projections in battleground states. In the past, media has waited until the election was closed before predicting a winner. Is the real time election day projections a bad idea and will the rest of the media start doing it ?

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Definitely a bad idea. The media should report nothing about results or exit polls until the polls close in a state.

3. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

4. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

Sounds like a pointless service that could inadvertently manipulate... There's no reason government can't spend the $25 in taxpayer dollars needed to do this service if it was that much a necessity to begin with.

5. Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

I was surprised it was not a law and that the media voluntarily had held any results till after the election.

6. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

I think the U.K. Was the one barred from reporting exit polls or results until after voting completed, seems like a good system as some low information voters chase the winning candidate.

7. Plutonius, Sep 11, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2016

Plutonius thread starter macrumors 603

Plutonius

It's all about money. I wonder how much it will cost to buy an election and get the real time projected results that you want ?

@Scepticalscribe, you have monitored elections. What do you think of this.

8. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I devoutly hope we don't get the government we apparently deserve according to all I can see so far about how this election season is going to run out the clock.

Low info voters, check.
    Cockamamie election day plans by self-appointed partisan observers, check.
    Every blogger on earth a writer of the one true gospel on election fraud, check.
    True believers in discrediting legitimacy of election results in advance, check.
    Prez candidates almost old enough to have written the Old Testament, check.
    Third party candidates wacky enough to have written the Book of Revelation, check.
    Now throw in wannabe "disrupters" of election result projections, check...

Did I leave anything out?

At least a supermarket in a nearby city just started carrying Graeter's ice cream, which some Ohio cousins once flew in from Cincinnati to a familiy reunion. Fabulous stuff! Behind a pint of that on election night, I can deal with almost anything. Ohio better go to Clinton though...

9. hwojtek macrumors 6502a

hwojtek

While most of the countries in the world withhold the result of the exit polls until the voting is over (though leaks are inevitable, they are of fairly limited circulation), there is a neat idea of actually publishing the voters turnout. This way people who tend to dismiss their voting opportunity are endorsed to come to the voting booth.