Real world opinion of iPhone4 on T-Mobile ?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Darthdingo, Dec 17, 2010.

1. Darthdingo macrumors 6502a

I am on T-Mobile, have an excellent plan. $79 per month for full unlimited everything, minutes, texts, and data. Their service has been good for me in Chicago. I had ATT few years ago, had spotty coverage around town, and they were very expensive at the time.

Just wondering how the unlocked iPhone4's work in the real world on T-Mobile in the U.S. ? I know you only get Edge network right ? But for me that might be ok, when in car I just use phone to talk, and text a bit when stopped. But for any web surfing or downloading, that would be done at Home, Office, or friends house, which all have nice WiFi setups, so as long as the iPhone4 has good network chip in it, to fins the WiFi and hold a good signal, that would be great.

FYI, recent phones have been the Nexus-One and Nexus-S

Let me know please.

2. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

I'll give an honest opinion since I was on T-mo with the iPhone 4 and had some android phones on tmo.

iPhone 4 on T-Mobile is great. I had no problems. You should know the obvious features do not work such as 3G and Visual Voicemail. Edge speeds are just fine as a lot of the sites visited are mobile versions of the websites. Which in turn is a fast speed over edge. I do not understand why people are bothered when some one is using iPhone 4 on edge tmobile. The only advantage of 3G network is to talk and data simultaneously. I really see no speed differences with an iPhone on 3G browsing or 2G browsing since they go to the mobile site.

Nexus One when I had it was slightly buggy because it had just launched. Other then that, I loved that phone. The Nexus S is a beast of it's own. It beats the iPhone 4 in a lot of areas. People like the iPhone 4 because of it's simplicity and and they know what their getting. They do not want to step out of their comfort zones and experience another platform. Which is totally understandable. However, just don't bash it because your not familiar with it.

Lastly, I'm currently using the iPhone 4 on ATT through a iPad sim hack for $25 a month 2GIG data and use a viop for unlimited calls and text. There is no beating that monthly rate for what I'm getting. However, I do find the Nexus S tempting as well as the Blackberry 9780. So...we will see.

In conclusion, you can't go wrong with either of the phones I mentioned. However, keep in mind that your going to pay $80 a month for iPhone 4 on Tmobile or $80 a month with Nexus One or S on tmobile with 3G speeds and with more options. Like I said, you can't go wrong with either phones:D

Hope I helped......

3. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

great, thanks :). Was just curious how it worked, I have seen some cool iPhone4's jailbreaked with custom themes with custom app icons, and they looked nice. But my Nexus-S is sweet too.

4. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

The only downside not mentioned is I've never been able to send photos via MMS regardless of any fixes on cydia for this.

I've been using tmobile on the iphone since august 28 of 2007, I hardware unlocked. I've used them on every version of the iphone.

5. Neverbepeace macrumors 6502a

Neverbepeace

When I had the iPhone 4 on T-Mobile, my MMS worked great.....I will PM you some info in a second.

6. Darthdingo thread starter macrumors 6502a

Do you like the iPhone4 on T-Mo ? More so than trying an Android phone with full 3G+ ?

7. intoxicated662 macrumors regular

This is all great and helpful information, thanks everyone. I'm still waiting on an unlock for t-mobile so I can use my pre paid on my iphone 4 for better service and all. Any way around this temporarily until then? Had to cancel my at&t service because I had crappy signal everywhere I went so it was pointless to have. Heard you can use pre-paid at&t on iphone 4 but haven't been able to find anything useful and up to date. Thanks :D

8. hackthatphone macrumors 68000

hackthatphone

I like it just fine. I don't care about data outside of wi fi.

9. indyzzzz macrumors 6502a

I ve been using T-mo prepaid off and on on one of my iPhone 4s (the one thats unlocked :p). I have had no issues so far. Of course, I havent tried MMS. I have predominantly used it to make calls. When I need data access, I use wifi at home or free attwifi at starbucks.

Ive heard some good things (about speed and usability) about the unlimited 24-hour-access-webdata (costs $1.50 per 24 hour period). Maybe you can google that for more info.....should be a good solution for Tmo prepaid customers who need data (when no wifi available) periodically.
    cheers