Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
I'm holding out for a new 12" iBook (my first Mac) and was just wondering if these specs would be realistic on the upcoming iBook (base model) revision:

1.33 Ghz G4 Processor (I Guess 1.5Ghz on the 14")
512MB DDR RAM
40GB hard drive (30GB is way to small as from factory 10GB is already taken)
64MB Video Card
Built-in Airport Extreme @ 802.11g (I think this already exists)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 (Bluetooth is very important to me as I already brought a Bluetooth phone to go along with my planned purchase and want to get the Apple Bluetoooth Mouse to use when at home)
OS X Tiger (Ofcourse)

So you think these specs are reasonable on the next generation iBook while keeping the price the same? I hope this will all be on the base model as I want to buy locally and don't want to buy BTO off the net.

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
finalcoolman said:
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0

I would say that these two are the most unlikely.

1) The Bluetooth 2.0 could be possible but not in a base model. It would have to be BTO, especially since bluetooth doesn't come standard in the current iBook.

2) Unless, apple has a processor upgrade/*major* speed bump planned for the powerbook, I would say those figures are highly unlikely. Apple does not want the cheaper 14" iBook to have the same speed proccessor as their 12" powerbook. People have a hard time justifying the price for a powerbook now, as their speeds are so close. To bridge the gap between their consumer and prosumer lines like that is unlikely. (Although, I hope they do make the ibook that fast, because then we know a powerbook upgrade is right around the corner :D )

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
metsfan489 said:
2) Unless, apple has a processor upgrade/*major* speed bump planned for the powerbook, I would say those figures are highly unlikely. Apple does not want the cheaper 14" iBook to have the same speed proccessor as their 12" powerbook.

It has in the past and I believe it will again with the next iBook revision.

From Oct 2004 to Jan 2005 when the PowerBooks were updated, the 12" PB had the same speed (1.33 GHz) as did the high end 14" iBook.

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/04/20040419084557.shtml

https://www.macrumors.com/pages/2004/10/20041019083450.shtml

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
metsfan489 said:
I would say that these two are the most unlikely.

1) The Bluetooth 2.0 could be possible but not in a base model. It would have to be BTO, especially since bluetooth doesn't come standard in the current iBook.

Why is this unlikely? Before the October '04 revision Airport Express was BTO. It wasn't standard in the pre-October iBooks but they made it Standard in the October revision. So what's wrong with doing the same thing with Bluetooth this time around?

noel4r

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Los Angeles
Knowing Apple, this is more like it:

1.33 Ghz G4 Processor (1.42Ghz on the 14")
256MB DDR RAM
40GB hard drive
32MB Video Card
Built-in Airport Extreme @ 802.11g (BTO)
Built-in Bluetooth 1.0 (BTO)
OS X Tiger (Ofcourse)

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
finalcoolman said:
Why is this unlikely? Before the October '04 revision Airport Express was BTO. It wasn't standard in the pre-October iBooks but they made it Standard in the October revision. So what's wrong with doing the same thing with Bluetooth this time around?

However airport extreme had been standard in the powerbook for many revisions before the ibook recieved it. Although Bluetooth has been standard in the pb since (i believe, the intro of aluminum) it only recieved bluetooth 2.0 in february. I would expect to see bluetooh 1.1 in the iBook before 2.0

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
finalcoolman said:
512MB DDR RAM
40GB hard drive (...)
64MB Video Card
Built-in Airport Extreme @ 802.11g (I think this already exists)
Built-in Bluetooth 2.0 (...)
OS X Tiger (Ofcourse)
I would not be surprised at all if these turns out to be the specs...

Airport Extreme are, as you suspect, already built-in, and I, too, would like to see Bluetooth as standard (come on Apple, the Bluetooth chip is less than $4...)

But I'm wondering if the 1.42 GHz chip used in the Mac mini also will be used in the iBooks... so maybe both the iBooks and Mac mins will be upgraded to 1.42 GHz lowend and 1.67 GHz highend... (and the PowerBooks bumped to 1.8 and 2.0, the G4's limit...) But then again I might be too optimistic... ;)

BTO single layer Superdrive across the iBook line (i.e. the 12", too) would also be nice, now that the pro line has begun the migration to dual layer...

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
metsfan489 said:
However airport extreme had been standard in the powerbook for many revisions. Although Bluetooth has been standard in the pb since (i believe, the intro of aluminum) it only recieved bluetooth 2.0 in february. I would expect to see bluetooh 1.1 in the iBook before 2.0

Ok then, maybe they will make Bluetooth 1.1 in the base model then. I don't really care for 2.0, 1.1 would be enough. It's the chapest item in the BTO list to add Bluetooth, I dont see why not just making it standard. ANd by making it standard Apple can pitch their Bluetooth accessories to more than just Powerbook owners.

Mitthrawnuruodo

Moderator emeritus
Mar 10, 2004
Bergen, Norway
noel4r said:
AE is been built-in in the current iBook rev.

Current non-2.0 Bluetooth equipment is 1.1 (or in some cases 1.2). I cannot remember any actual 1.0 devices... ;)

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
noel4r said:

1.33 Ghz G4 Processor (1.42Ghz on the 14")
256MB DDR RAM
40GB hard drive
32MB Video Card
OS X Tiger (Ofcourse)

I agree with these specs, but I think the standard ram would be increased to 512mb and the video card would be bumped up 64mb. Also airport extreme and *possibly* bluetooth 1.1 would be standard.

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
metsfan489 said:
I agree with these specs, but I think the standard ram would be increased to 512mb and the video card would be bumped up 64mb. Also airport extreme and *possibly* bluetooth 1.1 would be standard.

But I checked the Apple site and Airport Extreme is ALREADY standard, so it's just the Bluetooth. And really as someone else said it only costs Apple like $4.

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
finalcoolman said:
But I checked the Apple site and Airport Extreme is ALREADY standard, so it's just the Bluetooth. And really as someone else said it only costs Apple like $4.

When I said airport extreme would come standard i was correcting noel4r because he said airport extreme was BTO

gamestriker

macrumors regular
Dec 18, 2004
This is what I think it will be. There have been rumors already that there is a graphics upgrade, which could likely be a card that is Core Image compatible. (My guess would be the same one that the PowerBook 12" has but a 32MB model.) They will also upgrade to 512MB RAM standard, if they plan to preinstall Tiger on them. The operating system needs 256MB just run, so unless users just plan to turn the computer on and look at it, they'll need the extra memory to run applications. Hard drive will get a boost but they will remain 4200 rpm to keep prices low, and they will keep the SuperDrive 4x to keep prices low but also because very few people will burn DVDs on the iBooks anyway.

iBook 12" - Combo Model - $999

1.33GHz G4 Processor
512MB DDR RAM
40GB hard drive (4200 rpm)
32MB nVidia GeForce FX Go 5200
Built-in Airport Extreme
OS X Tiger Preinstalled

iBook 14" - Combo Drive - $1299

1.42GHz Processor
512MB DDR RAM
80GB hard drive (4200 rpm)
Built-in Airport Extreme
OS X Tiger Preinstalled

iBook 14" - SuperDrive (4x) - $1499

1.42GHz Processor
512MB DDR RAM
80GB hard drive (4200 rpm)
Built-in Airport Extreme
OS X Tiger Preinstalled

Build-To-Order Options

Bluetooth 2.0

timmyb

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
United Kingdom
finalcoolman said:
Ok then, maybe they will make Bluetooth 1.1 in the base model then. I don't really care for 2.0, 1.1 would be enough.
I only really want BT for Apple's BT mouse. Would there be any noticable performance difference between 1.1 and 2.0 for this?

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
timmyb said:
I only really want BT for Apple's BT mouse. Would there be any noticable performance difference between 1.1 and 2.0 for this?
Nope, none. Bluetooth 2.0 only works with BT 2.0 compatable devices. But BT 2.0 is backwords compatible with BT 1.1

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
finalcoolman said:

Because wi-fi gives wireless networking, which is kind of necessary in 2005.

Bluetooth doesn't give anything for most users (except a higher price tag).

They need to keep BT optionnal.

Edit: the IC may cost 4$, but Apple will end up adding 25$US to the laptop price. ;)

I'm hoping for a better GPU too (not really for CoreImage, but it'd be nice to get one that fully supports it), but I'm more concerned about if it's 64MB or not (32MB just ain't enough for games).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If the GPU was replaced tomorrow, I'd buy one. The other changes don't really have all that much affect on the overall iBook experience IMO. Although, I'd love a Superdrive option in the 12 inches.

carlos700

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2004
Omaha, NE
The iBook will most likely not have a clock speed of 1.42 GHz. 1.42 GHz is a G4 speed on 167 MHz System Buses. The iBook uses a 133 MHz system bus. The speeds are as follows for a 133 MHz system bus: 1.2 GHz, 1.26 GHz, 1.33 GHz, 1.4 GHz, 1.46 GHz, 1.53 GHz, 1.6 GHz, 1.67 GHz, 1.73 GHz, and so on.

JeffTL

macrumors 6502a
Dec 18, 2003
Lack of CoreImage support is the only think I don't like about the current iBook G4.

I may be buying as soon as July, hopefully the update will be before then

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
iGary said:
I think tyou will get all your wishes sans BT.

I don't think the BT will become standard any time soon, but I see them putting 2.0 in all of their computers, just to avoid confusion. Especially, if any killer app comes out for BT2, then Apple, who is one of the biggest proponents of BT among the OEMs, will look bad if there is a lot of ambiguity among their new computers as to which supports it. Also, I can't imagine there's a huge cost delta, and this would also commonize and reduce the number of different parts in Apple's BOM....

Not that I'm in the market for anything like that right now, mind you. :rolleyes: My incoming Digital Rebel is my toy for this year, and lenses are already putting their names on the list for next year's budget. ;)

finalcoolman

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 15, 2005
Ok but rumors (from Think Secret) say that the next iMacs will have Bluetooth 2.0 standard. Now mind you Bluetooth is more nessecary in a laptop then a desktop machine, so if the rumors on it standard on the iMac is correct, I can't see it not being on all of Apple's laptops first.

Yvan256

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2004
Canada
finalcoolman said:
Ok but rumors (from Think Secret) say that the next iMacs will have Bluetooth 2.0 standard. Now mind you Bluetooth is more nessecary in a laptop then a desktop machine, so if the rumors on it standard on the iMac is correct, I can't see it not being on all of Apple's laptops first.

Why is BT necessary in a laptop?! Even if it's wireless, you can't use a mouse everywhere, unlike the laptop itself.

BT is better used on the desktop for those who hate wires. But I'd think Apple would keep BT standard on their Pro lines and keep it BTO on consumer machines.

metsfan489

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2005
I see we are all forgetting the primary use of bluetooh was to allow devices to communicate with each other easily. Now that could mean a mouse/keyboard with a computer or what its better known for is a computer syncing appointments, contacts, phone numbers with a cell phone. So bluetooth isn't really desktop or laptop oriented.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.