Realistically what's the best estimate for refurbished NEW macbooks?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by NorrisKillsKids, Nov 18, 2008.

1. NorrisKillsKids macrumors 6502a

2 questions.

1) What is a realistic estimate of when refurbished aluminum macbooks will be available.

2) What is the price difference usually, 100 to 250 off?

2. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Expect the refurb white to go for $899 or $949, only $50 to $100 off.

The low end aluminum will probably by $100 off at $1,199.

The high end aluminum will probably also be $100 off at $1,499 but could be $150 off for $1,449. $200 at the outside and that is a longshot, but definitely no more than that. I would be surprised to see it for $1,399 and it won't be less.

As far as timing, that always varies but 6 to 8 weeks after release is generally about right, though when they first arrive they will probably sell out each day.

3. jbrenn macrumors 6502a

I say march and the prices would be 1099 1299. just a guess.

4. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

At first I was so confused but then I realized the first reply was using American pricing. I'm Canadian but yeah I guess the discounted figures off the original price remain the same.

I was looking to pick one up mid to the end of January and was hoping there would be refurbished models available.

While this thread is open I'll ask another question or two:

1) The lower end aluminum does have back lit keyboard right?
    2) Is there really THAT BIG of a performance difference between the two (I know the HDD differ in size as well)?

5. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

No there is no backlit on the 2.0 model. And they should be plenty available by that time period. As far as the performance, I went with the 2.4, but because of three things:

a. I almost always go for the higher end machine if I can. I got a 2.8Ghz 24" iMac when the Aluminum came out August 07.

b. I wanted the backlit keyboard, but even though the $300 was not necessarily a good price per performance increase, the keyboard, speed boost, and extra drive space made it acceptable to me.

c. I will be keeping this machine for some time and figured all of the the above items keep it more current than the 2.0, especially with HDD space, and resale value.

But no, there won't that much a performance difference, depending on what you use it for. At $1,299 US or less for a refurb, the low end is a good buy for a really nice looking and feeling machine. If you are on a budget I would recommend going with that model, that is without knowing more of your general use and needs.

6. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the reply.

Well...the most I'll ever do with it is the following:

- Play Starcraft 2 and Diablo III (pretty much the only computer games I'm interested in)

- Use the programs in MS Office

- Use the internet

Honestly that's all I can think of what I'll be doing. BUT I should add that this will be my desktop replacement (the desktop PC I'm using right now has 512 ram and is pentium 4....good god). Also I want it to last a fairly decent amount of time. At least 2 years.

And my budget is 1700 Canadian after taxes and all that. Give or take some amount of dollars if needed.

7. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

Get the 2.4 if you want, but I would recommend based on your usage the 2.0 and save the rest for a case and other peripherals or whatever.

8. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yeah I was thinking about just shelling out for that one. Maybe a refurbished one after taxes will be 1700 or less. But the base should be good enough thanks.

9. Vulcan macrumors 65816

Vulcan

10. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

I got one LAST question since you guys are here and replying and all :D

Tax in Canada is 13% at the moment. If I order from the Apple store online will they charge full tax? Or only one of the taxes?

11. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

You pay the full tax that is payable in your province or territory.

12. D.M.S macrumors member

it's usually 10-20% reduction.
    for new models like this i'd say around an 11 or 12% saving off the rrp.
    at least that's how the aust store seems to work

13. VSMacOne macrumors 601

VSMacOne

You can find OPEN BOX items at your local BEst Buy store. I went by there the other day and looking around I saw some brand new Alu MBs open box items for $1-200 off the original price.

EDIT: silverback, I called them and the MBs are only $175 off.. you are correct.

14. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

2-300 ?! Wow, you could almost buy those and sell them on ebay to make money. The open box discount that I see in Bestbuy is 10% at most. Maybe I don't shop enough.

15. tsa1 macrumors regular

Wow 13% that's alot! Too bad you don't live in the land of the free (U$A), I'm kidding of course! Amazon doesn't ship to Canada?

16. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

Haha the taxes used to be 15% and got lowered not too long ago. And our income tax is a beyatch too. And to top it off when our dollar was worth more than yours we still paid more for everything. But yeah amazon does ship to Canada but you throw in the conversion and then the extra shipping and I don't think it's looking so good any more. If anyone knows any way canadian can not be ripped off on this let me know!!

17. ChrisN macrumors 65816

ChrisN

What's open box? How do I spot it at a bestbuy?

ChrisN

18. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

It is a box, ahem, that has been opened. :D Basically, someone bought it and returned it with no issues. If it can't be returned to the manufacturer as defective, it is sold at a discount. My local best buy has these in a locked cage in the aisle in front of the mac section with yellow open box discount stickers on them.

The savings are kind of meh, maybe 10 or 15%.

19. NorrisKillsKids thread starter macrumors 6502a

I bought a desktop computer open box at best buy, it was defective and I had to return it to get a new one. That sucked. Therefore I will never do THAT again.