Reality check: Is 30 the new 20, and 40 the new 30?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 63dot, Jul 3, 2008.

1. 63dot macrumors 603

63dot

I am forty-something and I don't think I am like any thirty year old...period.

I just spent 90 minutes skateboarding and it wiped me out.

There is not any sport I have tried that is as dangerous, exciting, or rigorous than street style skateboarding. It is the least forgiving sport I can think of. Let's put it this way, it's not golf.

But my age shows, and at best a 40 year old street/tech skater could say they skate and endure like a 35 year old, but not a 30 year old.

And I am sure some other sports prove that, too.

What do you think?

2. MonksMac macrumors 6502a

MonksMac

Maybe in looks but as you noticed you may look 30, but you won't feel 30...:eek:

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

4. furious macrumors 65816

furious

Base Jumping;)

5. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

6. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

7. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I'd rather eat it snowboarding than mountain biking.

Lethal

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

9. 63dot thread starter macrumors 603

63dot

and in a decade from now, when america's fattest generation of kids, and first time lowered life expectancy since 1790, hits 30, they will feel like 40

i call them the twinkie/cheetos generation

...got to lay off the computer games and junk food

10. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

Aye. I'm trying to get my nieces and nephews to get more exercise. "Work those flabs of steel. Work them, I say.":D

11. Gray-Wolf macrumors 68030

Gray-Wolf

I'm 48 and after 25 years doing the same thing, Apartment maintenance, and not taking precautions with a lot of the chemicals we are around, I feel about 60 years old. I use to be able to man handle a A/C condensing unit, carry it around like it was nothing. Not any more. Arthritus, memory issues, and more, have taken there toll.

I see kids, though, that do little or no exercise and take after thier parents. A 6 year old, where I work out, looks to be 15-20 lbs over weight as it is. Her mom' the same shape. The example you as parents set, we have an effect without you knowing it.

Now trying to live younger? That will just get you physically hurt. :rolleyes:

12. glocke12 macrumors 6502a

glocke12

Your only as old as you feel. Im 40, and at the moment am having a hard time of things because I am taking care of my elderly mother, and am in the process of cleaning out my parents home of 40 years, but prior to this (started a year ago this month), I was still doing the same things I was doing when I was 25 and didnt have any issues. mtn biking, kayaking, backpacking, partying, going to shows, you name it. Once I am through these personal issues I have going on I plan on getting back into all of that..

13. Prof. macrumors 601

Prof.

14. Crawn2003 macrumors 6502

And 10 the new... Oh god, I don't want to think of that...

Crawn

15. MinorBidoh macrumors 6502

MinorBidoh

Rowing is deffinately not forgiving, either on water or the machine, it takes a whole heap out of you even with a semi-decent technique for power distribution. If you're not quite sure, row a 2k under 7mins (for most people) and feel the burn!! :D

16. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Oh yeah, you get old fast. My son, who is 30, was too drunk to drive home from a party a few miles from his house. So he decided to skateboard the whole way.

Next day my granddaughter was telling me, "Daddy hurt his back." How? Assuming the skater stance for the whole three- or four-mile trip home. I'm sure he could've gotten away with that when he was 20, though. But he ain't 20. :eek:

17. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

I turn 30 at the end of this month. I sure hope it's new 20. 'Cause I'm feeling *old*!

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

55 is the new 25 as far as I'm concerned. I feel fitter than I was thirty years ago.

19. donga macrumors 6502a

donga

what does "<older age here> is the new <younger age here>" mean anyway? sounds like older peeps want some assurance that they aren't losing their coolness and/or don't want to face being older

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

<Color> is the new black!
    <Booze> is the new vodka!
    <Older age> is the new <older age-10>!

21. indiochano macrumors regular

22. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Though better than driving, he still could have gotten a DWI for the skateboard. I believe the requirement is merely that your mode of transportation has fixed axles, a skateboard certainly qualifying.

23. macartistkel macrumors 6502a

macartistkel

I always interpreted the statement "40 is the new 30" to be more about attitude than anything else. For the record, I'm 32 but I feel better (and smarter) than I did at 22 yrs old (especially after this week!) :)

In the case of Demi Moore, "40 was the new 30" phrase came about because she bagged a hottie 15 years younger (Ashton) and shaped her body to look like a 16 year old! ;)

24. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Well, I guess that makes infinity the new infinity.