Realized apple store doesnt carry 7200rpm models in store. (anyone confirm?)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kyle9859, Sep 29, 2011.

1. Kyle9859 macrumors newbie

Kyle9859

I was going to go buy my Macbook Pro 17" today, but I just realized that the 7200rpm hard drive is most likely a custom order. Can anyone confirm this? I really didn't want to order online, because I want to open the computer in the apple store in case I have any problems.

I think that the 5400rpm might be OK until I get the money to buy a SSD, but I'm not sure. The use of the computer will be Music Production and Recording so I think the 7200rpm will the best, but I don't want to order off Apple.com.

My current PC has a 750GB 7200rpm drive.

2. nicklad macrumors 6502

I think you're being a tad irrational here and should just order online! :)

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

If you're planning on buying a SSD, I wouldn't worry about it.

4. snaky69 macrumors 603

Order online, problem solved. Are you afraid apple will steal your credit card info or what?

The Apple Stores usually carry the base model with no upgrades, and the top of the line one with every upgrade, and nothing in between. If you want something in between, you'll have to either:
    A: order it on Apple's website
    B: Have the store do the same for you

Either way, you'll have to wait for the computer for the same amount of time(maybe more if you go through the store).

5. shardey macrumors 6502a

shardey

When I bought my MBP, all they had was a baseline 17" and then the 17" matte with the 2.3 i7 (with the 750gb 5400rpm). I chose the one with the matte screen and 2.3 i7. I wished they offered the ones with the 7200.

6. auxsend macrumors regular

Store only carries listed base items on the website. Anything custom is generally an order on-line situation. Though sometimes they can swap the HD on-site, they usually just order it as a custom factory order.

7. ckeck macrumors 6502a

ckeck

Correct, I used to only want 7,200 RPM drives in my MBP and I'm so impulsive I hate ordering online so I just ended up going to Apple and picking up a loaded model then driving to Best Buy or something to get a 7,200 RPM replacement since they have dropped in price so much.

I will say this though...the last MBP I had (2011) I just stuck with the 750GB 5,400RPM drive and it's performance was far better than I had expected and I kept it. If you are going to do an SSD upgrade in the future this stock drive should be just fine. There are not huge gains to be had anyhow and sometimes faster drives run a bit hotter and sip a bit more power.

8. GuitarG20 macrumors 65816

GuitarG20

I think for a lot of things they can just swap it in the store...

That's what they did when my dad bought a MBP and (foolishly) payed them to upgrade the RAM.

9. MacsAreBetter\ macrumors member

MacsAreBetter\

OP clearly stated that he wants to open the Mac in-store and check for any faults. There's plenty of cases where a delivery company damages computers, and for $2k, its safer to just buy it in store.

Now generally speaking, Apple stores (I'm only aware of Australia) only hold the absolute necessities. I once had to get a screw replaced, and I had to wait a week for a single, tiny screw to get shipped in. Same with RAM, same with hard-drives.

You won't see much of a performance difference, but why not pick up a drive at a computer store and install it yourself? Modifications to the HDD are covered by AppleCare, AND its a foolproof system. A drive from a store will probably also cost you less than the one Apple offers.

Sidenote; never buy any upgrades direct from Apple, especially when you're choosing your SSD. Check out www.macsales.com.

Good luck!
    - Mike

10. eagandale4114 macrumors 65816

eagandale4114

Some do some don't. My store had the 17"+2.3gHz+AG+7200RPM option. Didn't need the speed so I ordered online. It carried the "ultimate" versions of the computers. All types. Yours clearly differs. Call ahead of time. Also apple will replace a DOA system.

11. Kyle9859 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kyle9859

Went to the apple store today, for them to look at my iPhone (home button acting up).

I stood for about 30 mins drooling over the Macbook Pro's. Needless to say, I went ahead and bought the base model 17" with the 5400RPM drive. I must say that I am completely impressed with the speed and build quality on these notebooks. I am upgrading from a HP Pavilion dv7, and there is absolutely no comparison between the two in regards to build quality. My HP has a 750gb 7200RPM drive, and between the two notebooks, I can notice about a 2-7 second difference in Hard drive speed, but that is so low that I dont even care. If it gets to where I notice too much, I will just replace with a 7200 or SSD.

After speeding home to play with my new MBP, and getting over the fact that I just spent almost 2500$ in one store (paid with student discount which basically paid the 200$ tax), I came out with a Hell-of-a computer and a new iPhone 4. (they said it was defective without even looking at it...)