Really Apple? New iPad was the best name you could think of?? (merged)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by AceCoolie, Mar 7, 2012.

1. AceCoolie macrumors regular

Apple's naming scheme annoys me. When I went to purchase my iPad 2 a couple months after launch, they only had one box that simply said iPad. The "2" was no where to be found and while I found out later that the picture on the box was different between the iPad 1 and iPad 2, the lack of a descriptive name made things difficult. The sales person had no idea which model it was and neither did I. I had to get a managers approval to be able to buy it, open it to check the model, and then have his assurance that I would be able to return it if it was the wrong one. All that could have been avoided if Apple would just give different products different name. What a novel concept. I can only imagine that this sort of confusion will continue with the "new iPad".

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

I know what you mean! I went to purchase a MacBook 5 and all they had were boxes that said MacBook! Gah, I hate the new naming scheme. How are we ever going to distinguish anything? There is no evidence that this type of naming scheme has ever worked before. Not once. Not ever.

3. lulla01 macrumors 68020

lulla01

yea

This is stupid.... so next year (if they even release one) there will be the OLD iPad and the Amazing new iPad.

4. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Moving away from the numbering scheme is a good thing. Now it'll just be referred to as the 2012 iPad... just like how the iMacs, Macbook Pros, and Macbook Airs are all referred to as 2011 in their current iterations.

EDIT- iDecker beat me to it hahah

5. motoleo macrumors 6502a

motoleo

Actually, it's not "New iPad" it's really just iPad. It's a cautious name.

Anyway, for this new device, I can just watch all the reviews from last year, I don't need to see any new ones.

6. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Apples got it covered for a couple years.

This year: The new iPad
    Next year: The newer iPad
    Following year: The newest iPad
    Year after that: The newerest iPad?

:p :D

7. Carouser macrumors 65816

I wish you the best of luck when you go to the Apple store and navigate this minefield, I hope you manage to buy the product you want and that there is no confusion leading you to spend hundreds of dollars on the incorrect product, but who is to say what will happen because of this boondoggle foisted upon hapless consumers.

8. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

Microsoft tried this with Windows releases (Win95, Win98, Win2000, etc) but found that people ended up expecting a new release every year and when you couldn't meet that schedule, it reflected negatively on you. I don't think Apple intends to release hardware every year.

----------

While I can appreciate your sarcasm, can you think of any other product that when you go to the store to buy it, you must be familiar with the entire product packing history to know if you have the right one?

Will this stop me from buying one? Probably not (I'll wait awhile as my iPad2 was one of the ones with light bleed). I would just be very interested to hear Apples logic behind the decision. I'm sure they had a meeting, and people discussed various names, and they decided on "new iPad". I'd love to hear their reasoning.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

So you want us to believe that neither you, the sales person or the manager thought to turn the box around and read the stickers on it?

10. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Well, that's a little different. Windows 95 was the actual product name. Had it been just called Windows for every iteration, that's different. And that's what I was saying about the Macs. Not everyone expects a new version every year.

The Mac Pro for instance hasn't been updated since 2010. So almost 2 years later and no update. iPod Touch also hasn't been updated since 2010. No specific name, but the year it was released helps to define it.

11. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

Obviously you haven't looked at the stickers on the box because it's not there.

12. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

The iPod touch was updated sometime in 2011 buddy.

13. paulbee macrumors member

The evidence is against you. There's been a new iPhone every year since 2007. A new iPad every year since 2010. The iMac and MacBook lines have put out at least once a year. A majority of Apple's hardware is being updated on a cycle that's at longest once a year, and I don't know why they'd scale back, especially on a top-seller like the iPad.

14. KylePowers macrumors 68000

KylePowers

Oh I'm sorry, coming pre-installed with iOS 5 and adding a white option most certainly warrants an update, buddy ;)

It's still considered the 4th generation.

15. AceCoolie thread starter macrumors regular

hmm. I guess your right. I wonder why they don't incorporate the year into the name then? I know some companies like to do that sort of thing since it subconsciously makes people think about upgrading as whenever they see the name, the feel their product is "old".

16. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

I can't believe they're really just calling it "New iPad"...

17. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Give it a year and they'll officially be calling it "Old iPad" :p

18. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

19. joshwithachance macrumors 68000

joshwithachance

Well now we have something to look forward to! :D

20. homeboy macrumors 6502

I think it was the right decision. People were getting increasingly obsessed with he numerical designation of Apple products as opposed to focusing on the improvements. The iPhone 4S is a great example of when everyone was anticipating it to be called iPhone 5 and got publically enraged, but yet sales tell a different story.

I'm buying the new iPad and I don't care about it not being called iPad HD or iPad 3. All I was looking forward to was the Retina Display and more processing power, and I got exactly that.

21. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Oh, really?

Attached Files:

22. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Damn... that is some serious 'ownage' right there dejo ;)

23. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

Dumbest Name Ever! SMH

Real original. The New Ipad. Sweet!

I am unimpressed with the update. I find buying an ipad 2 for cheap now that everyone is unloading them is a better deal.

At least until the NEWER Ipad comes out. (or will is be The Newest Ipad?)

24. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

No different then when Apple released the "New iMac" in 2002. This iMac was later renamed the G4 iMac or the iMac G4.

25. JohnnyQuest macrumors 65816

JohnnyQuest

It's funny, because everyone was complaining before about how redundant 3G, 3GS, 4, 4S were getting.