Really cool 5s tidbit

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by stephen1108, Sep 21, 2013.

1. stephen1108 macrumors 65816

I don't know if this has been brought up on here before, and if it has, I didn't see, but I just now realized something really cool!

When using Siri, and telling Siri to do something that requires unlocking your phone, it just goes right into the app since it read your fingerprint before hand.

Nothing big, but just something I found to be really cool! :)

2. got2go macrumors member

That's Apple for ya. Always thinking about the little things.

3. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Also if you happen to be holding your phone in both hands, rest a finger on the home screen and press the lock screen it will unlock the phone straight away.

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

mind=blown

5. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I get the "you'll need to unlock your iPhone first" message.

6. AceMason macrumors regular

Yay, I am legit excited about that, sad I know but it used to be so annoying whenever I asked Siri to do something while driving and then had unlock with the passcode.

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

As you should. I think its bad practice to have siri available when the phone is locked, just my opinion.

8. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

I have no option if I want to use it with my hands free in the car.

9. Gooberton macrumors 65816

Wait..
    Is it just me or did you uncover a huge breach?
    It worked for me, I could get in the phone asking Siri to open an app?! So the phone technically can't be locked at all?!?

10. AceMason macrumors regular

I think it only works because it reads your fingerprint and if it matches it proceeds to carry out whatever you asked.

11. Gooberton, Sep 22, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2013

Gooberton macrumors 65816

And thus the fingerprint sensor is worthless

Edit..
    I stand corrected, it outsmarted me, it was reading my fingerprint

12. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Because it has already read your fingerprint. :cool:

13. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Yeah, had a little play. It does work, and only if I use the finger that's registered with Touch ID. Pretty smart.

14. falkedup macrumors regular

Not quite sure what you mean

15. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

You know how sometimes your left index finger would be resting on the sleep/wake button and your right thumb on the home button?

Click the sleep/wake button whilst your thumb is still on the home button and the phone will unlock straight to the home screen.

16. wepiii macrumors 6502

How is this different than pressing the home button and not lifting up your thumb? Other than it requires an extra hand? Am I missing something?

17. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Try it and see.

18. wepiii macrumors 6502

I did. And it does exactly what pushing the home button and not lifting your finger/thumb off. So can you please explain how you think it's different/better? All I'm seeing is that it requires both hands

19. falkedup macrumors regular

That's why I wasn't getting it lol

20. ipoddin macrumors 6502a

ipoddin

To clarify, if holding with two hands:

When phone is off, rest a registered finger on the home button. With your other hand, wake up the phone from the power button. The phone goes right in to your home screen.

21. wepiii macrumors 6502

Ok. I tried turning my phone completely off, as you said. But it still asks you for your password, because it is required after a reboot. So I have to assume that you meant to say, "When phone is asleep, rest a registered finger on the..." And what I am saying is that you can do the exact same thing with only one hand by not removing your thumb after pushing the home button. This way requires 1 button press (same as what you are saying) and 1 less hand. So I'm still not seeing what exactly you are getting at.

22. stephen1108 thread starter macrumors 65816

At first I thought it was a huge security breach! Until I tried it out with my bed sheet over my thumb and it didn't let me access the rest of my phone lmao.

As a matter of fact, I already had the post typed up but then it hit me to try out a couple things before submitting the post. After I saw it's supposed to be like that, I promptly edited my post lmao.